What's up with all the plastic stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's up with all the plastic stuff

Anyone know why the engines on new cars are covered with plastic shit these days? Open the hood, you're hit with plastic...plastic, and more plastic. What happened to opening the hood and being awed by a beautiful engine?
    VIP Status.

and don't forget the plastic intake manifold!

what they wanna do is cover that super small engine they have there
    1991 White Accord LX 5-speed aka Lil' Red

Comment

What looks better to somebody who has no idea what a sparkplug looks like?
      wat?

Comment

Originally posted by Lil' Whitie View Post
        and don't forget the plastic intake manifold!
        Tell me about it. Forgot what car it was, but they were at a drag strip and that plastic piece of shit blew into pieces.

Originally posted by C91BLX7 View Post
        What looks better to somebody who has no idea what a sparkplug looks like?
        Well, personally even before I was into cars, I liked to see the different looking engines. I'd rather see:

THAN

VIP Status.

Comment

i agree I hate the plastic.

I have a plastic cover over my vavle cover and its not to bad but I guess becuase of it Nissan thought they could just slack on the aesthetics of the valve cover. the valve cover just looks dumb with out the plastic.

If manufactures feel the need for the plastic fine but at least make whats underneath look decent so that the tuners can take it off. lol
          "Auto racing, bull fighting and mountain climbing are the only real sports....all others are games."
          - Ernest Hemingway

Comment

i guess it keeps everything looking nice and clean underneath? it also keeps the heat down in the engine bay, thus preserving all the wiring and stuff?

It does make sense to put that in there. Considering all my wires around and under my cylinder head are hard and brittle.

member's ride thread
            93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
            99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
            91 Accord SE 176k
            97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

kinda like looking at a computer case, vs looking at an open motherboard with all it's parts and bunches of wires going god-knows-where

the human eye doesn't like chaos, or 'the unknown'

kinda like why people do wire tucks

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
              where you been, is something wrong?
              i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

i pop open my hood and all i see is a giant lego.

Claire - '92 Mercedes-Benz 500E - AMG&Bilstein Treatment - The Wolf in Sheep's clothing.

Alice - '97 BMW 540i6 - Dinan Tuned. - Low Profile Weekend Warrior.

Felicia - '11 Ford Fusion - Luxury Package - Daily.. daily.. ugh.

Originally posted by JoshM
                Okay to do: "I'm sorry I broke your mailbox, here's $100.
                NOT okay to do: "I'm sorry I fucked your sister, here's $100.

Comment

My GTP has a plastic cover... I don't know how to get it off!

I guess new engines are so covered in sensors and crap that it looks better to cover them up, rather than have wires going all over the place. I've also read that it's to protect pedestrians in a collision... rather than getting hit with a hot, angular engine through the hood, they'll have plastic to shield them better. I don't buy it, but I've heard that as a reason.

Comment

Yea I've heard that about pedestrian saftey.

I feel if your getting hit by a car, the last thing I'd worry about is the temps of the engine.

I think a lot of the plastics also has to do with the engines becoming more low emissions and fuel efficient. That's my guess.

Comment

Originally posted by lil_dcb7 View Post
                      i pop open my hood and all i see is a giant lego.
                      My parents have an 07 Quest...same deal.

Originally posted by deevergote. View Post
                      My GTP has a plastic cover... I don't know how to get it off!

I guess new engines are so covered in sensors and crap that it looks better to cover them up, rather than have wires going all over the place. I've also read that it's to protect pedestrians in a collision... rather than getting hit with a hot, angular engine through the hood, they'll have plastic to shield them better. I don't buy it, but I've heard that as a reason.

I don't buy that pedestrian thing. No matter what, you're going to get hit with something very hard and very hot.

How are you liking that GTP? Is it the G6 or Grand Prix? All Pontiacs are the same to me.
                      VIP Status.

Comment

It's just to keep it cleaner for longer. Underneath it gets dirty and greasy very fast and it's more or less hard to wash while plastic can be simply wiped. It hides a lot but makes your bay look much more clean. Besides you can always remove them if you wish.
                        NEW MYRIDE THREAD

PARTS 4 SALE

Comment

Originally posted by Gyuri87 View Post
                          It's just to keep it cleaner for longer. Underneath it gets dirty and greasy very fast and it's more or less hard to wash while plastic can be simply wiped. It hides a lot but makes your bay look much more clean. Besides you can always remove them if you wish.
                          Yea, it LOOKS clean, because it's just plastic. All the grease and dirt is under it. But when you take it off, the engine looks like complete garbage. Not cleanliness wise, but just in general. The valve covers have no design, don't say anything....ahhhh I just hate it.
                          VIP Status.

Comment

The GTP is a Grand Prix. 2002. 4 door. White.

It's a nice car. The suspension blew in 100k though, and the engine has a bad oil leak. A shop told me it was the valve cover gaskets (the rear is a BITCH), lower intake manifold gasket (which requires removal of the supercharger and the intake manifold), and the oil pan gasket (part of the subframe has to drop, or the engine has to come out)... and a guy on clubgp.com told me it may be the oil pressure sending unit, which would be the easiest of all to fix.

On top of that, the DIC (driver information center) is crapping out on me, as is the climate control.

So, how do I like it? I love it when it's working as it should. Right now? I wish someone would firebomb it so I could collect on my full coverage insurance...

Comment

i like the plastic. wish i could cover most of my engine bay with it

keeps it nice and clean "looking" and not as cluttered as it really is.

no
                              Accord turbo kit under $2k here
                              $30 HID kits here Thread
                              "What a selfish bitch. She looks like one too. A smart-mouthed, facebook-ing, "i dont know if im straight, bi or *** yet" little brat." -greencb7inkc
                              "No Herra Frush, Slammed, tucked or frame dragging here. I'll leave that to the mini trucks...." -fishdonotbounce

Comment

Working...
                              X