Cut stock springs on good shocks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cut stock springs on good shocks?

I really want to lower my car this summer but I don't think I'll have enough money. I was wondering if I just got the shocks which would be some Koni Yellows and I cut my stock springs a little would that be ok for a few months till I save up for some ground controls?
    NEW MYRIDE THREAD

PARTS 4 SALE

You'll end up blowing your shocks, and your ride will be crappy.

Do it if you like, but I wouldnt ever recommend cutting stock springs.
    2010 Taurus SHO - Livernois Goodies
    2002 BMW 330 CI Convertible - HUNK OF JUNK

Comment

Just no.

Springs are progressive on both the top and bottom. Cut the springs and you mess with the spring rate...and you're messing with the length of the spring...all very bad things when it comes to the energy balance of your suspension.

Ever hear of 1/2kx^2?

Comment

um i had them on my old teg and wow... body roll like a mother fuka

Comment

If you don't have enough money to do it right... Then umm don't. It will only lead to more problems and then more expenses.

Comment

fuck i wish you were in my area, i have a set of eibachs sitting in my room.
            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

you can get some used springs for like 60-80 bucks the shocks cost way more
              Yeah, Preludes

Originally posted by deevergote.
              Why can't people just search OT to see if someone else posted the same random thread?

Comment

********shhhhhhhh*******

DO IT

(p.s. don't do it)
                Been a long time. Still alive...

Comment

Originally posted by kmart64 View Post
                  you can get some used springs for like 60-80 bucks the shocks cost way more
                  Ok... I was only asking. Never said I would in case of possible damages. I simply didn't know. I thought cut springs on original shocks would be bad because there would then be too much pressure on the shocks and they would end up fucking up which is the reason why I brought up the idea of performance shocks that can handle more than the stock ones. I didn't know the springs themselves have to do so much. I know I can get a set of Koni Yellows for under 600$ but with the Ground Control coilovers the set shipped would be near a 1 000$. I guess I'll just have to deal with the gaps between the wheels...

But then.... what if I put those coilovers on the original shocks?
                  NEW MYRIDE THREAD

PARTS 4 SALE

Comment

if you're i nschool

it's summer. get a job. work 5 days a week. you'll be able to get them the with the first paycheck.

Comment

Originally posted by npor View Post
                      if you're i nschool

it's summer. get a job. work 5 days a week. you'll be able to get them the with the first paycheck.
                      Dude... I drove all the way to Florida and back just to get a rust free one.. Spent about 900$ on gas, then other mechanical issues, now I just got it painted that's another 1200$ and it is a very good price by the way but it's only because the body guy is a very friend of my dad and spend over 2000 in Australia including the round trip flight which all put me in a dept over 5K. I now still owe 3K and don't allow myself to buy anything with the credit card besides gas because I want to pay it off by a few months which means whatever I buy is only with money I have and don't forget the part I put on the card. I try and put over 90% of my gains on the card to pay it off faster and if I don't it's minimum 50% so to buy something that costs lets say 500$ I need 1000$ since half is going on the credit card. In less than a month I'll be giong back to school too and won't be able to work so much anymore.

Nevertheless, it was a simple question. You can imagine that I will do everything to near perfection if I was ambitious enough to go that far for an old rust free CB. Now that I know it doesn't work that way I'll simply wait. I'm just a little bit of an impatient person and though that if I could cheat that way for a limited time it would be nice but when I do have to wait I wait. Not like I have the choice really.
                      Last edited by Gyuri87; 08-07-2008, 11:36 PM.
                      NEW MYRIDE THREAD

PARTS 4 SALE

Comment

Get the shocks, stick em under your bed... Get some good springs (I honestly HATE coilover sleeves.. though at least GC is one of the better ones...) and THEN do it. Be sure to have the money for an alignment, as an alignment is MUCH cheaper than new tires...

Cut springs are terrible. Dropping on stock shocks is also a bad idea (and unsafe).

Comment

Some people say cutting the springs is ok. Some don't. Honestly I think its ghetto. I'd rather be at ugly stock height than have it ride like shit and handle horribly.

Function>Form
                          wat?

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote. View Post
                            Get the shocks, stick em under your bed... Get some good springs (I honestly HATE coilover sleeves.. though at least GC is one of the better ones...) and THEN do it. Be sure to have the money for an alignment, as an alignment is MUCH cheaper than new tires...

Cut springs are terrible. Dropping on stock shocks is also a bad idea (and unsafe).
                            I just got the car aligned about 2 weeks ago or so... Anyway if it doesn't work that way I'll just wait and buy it altogether. It's not much of a use to have Koni Shocks under your bed or pillow unless it can also gently absorb the weight of your head.

P.S What's wrong with the GC coilovers? At first I wanted to go TeinSS-P but a lot more people on here seemed to agree that Koni Yellows and GC coilovers is the ultimate setup.
                            NEW MYRIDE THREAD

PARTS 4 SALE

Comment

Originally posted by C91BLX7 View Post
                              Some people say cutting the springs is ok. Some don't. Honestly I think its ghetto. I'd rather be at ugly stock height than have it ride like shit and handle horribly.

Function>Form
                              In that case me too and it is why I'm asking first and not acting first.

You felt the rhyme there uh uh!
                              NEW MYRIDE THREAD

PARTS 4 SALE

Comment

Working...
                              X