I about Killed the H yesterday.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by foamypirate View Post
    Maybe VTAK is too exciting and we forget how to drive?
    nah i was by myself going to my friends house .... had been in vtak all day so i done got use to it i just miss shifted and it wasnt pretty.....

Please, Leave me some feeedback on my ride ^CLICK ^CLICK ^CLICK
    Originally posted by deevergote.
    But Honda guys know EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING! If you don't believe that, then you're just wrong...

Comment

You were no less than a couple hundred RPM's away from bent valves. If you had bent any valves, trust me, there would be NO mistaking it.

If that happens just under or at the rev limiter, you WILL bend the valves.

You may have also been saved by the F22 trannies gearing. If it had been an H22 tranny, you would have been revving to somewhere around 9500. I once calculated that at the rev limit, a shift into second puts you just over 10,000RPM's.

Also, your rev limit prevents the engine from over revving by cutting fuel at high RPM's to prevent you from staying in the gear too long. There is ZERO protection against a mechanical overrev caused by downshifting into the wrong gear. At that point, the transmission and gearing are going to make the engine speed up to whatever it is, fuel cutoff or not.
      The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by Accord R33 View Post
        cpmike and owequitit have done this on a number of occasions, and both had to replace valves. Deevergote did it twice, and has so far dodged a bullet. So you could be ok, or you could be screwed. i would keep a close eye on it for a while.

for some reason it seems like the H22 is more prone to these misshifts for some reason. Maybe its just because its an accord forum, but i've never seen so many people do this anywhere else, and you never hear of people doing it with the f22. I wonder if the H22 gearbox has something to do with it.
        In both cases, it was the drivermod error. The ONLY thing I don't like about Hondas is the same thing that makes them so fun. You have to drive them on the ragged edge to get max performance out of them. The revs are outrageously fun (which I am sure you are aware of), but there is little tolerance for error. The drivermod failed, the H22 tranny gearing is such that it is relentlessly unforgiving of the 4-2 shift, and thus the engine bent valves, through not fault of its own.

I don't think the tranny was the culprit as much as the short shifter may have been a contributing factor. The pattern is so tight, you can't really feel the difference between the two when you do it. I also failed to put slight right pressure on the lever as I pulled it back, to keep it over towards the reverse lockout.

I have absolutely NO idea how Deevergote has avoided it, not once, but twice.

Comment

i think i avoided it as well.... i still have all my power to my motor and iam not throwin any more CELs so i hoping i got lucky i also have a short shifter adapter.....

But Honda guys know EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING! If you don't believe that, then you're just wrong...

Comment

Originally posted by Accord R33 View Post
            cpmike and owequitit have done this on a number of occasions, and both had to replace valves. Deevergote did it twice, and has so far dodged a bullet. So you could be ok, or you could be screwed. i would keep a close eye on it for a while.

for some reason it seems like the H22 is more prone to these misshifts for some reason. Maybe its just because its an accord forum, but i've never seen so many people do this anywhere else, and you never hear of people doing it with the f22. I wonder if the H22 gearbox has something to do with it.
            Accord w/F22 tops out in 3rd gear... 4th + 5th are for fuel economy

Originally posted by lordoja
            im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by Night Wolf View Post
              I think as long as you dont hit the rev limiter your ok
              I agree with ^^

Take it easy homie, gosh I was like omg he's got the motor on fire or some shit hahahaaaa good scare l8rzz

Originally posted by Juice21
              thnx pimpette, your car inspired me to go lower
              Originally posted by GameChewer
              Shiit i heard that, you heard the queen!

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
                Accord w/F22 tops out in 3rd gear... 4th + 5th are for fuel economy
                its true, my f22 has nothing after 3rd gear.
                I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

You should have the key on, engine OFF when pulling codes.
                  I'm glad your shit didn't crap out, I worry about being too mean to mine only after something goes wrong. Gotta be ready to push the clutch back in quick I guess. A couple times I accidentally shifted 3-2 in my 240, only while cornering. Scary as hell what happens in RWD, like ripping the E-brake.

The H22 Sleeper Sedan, updated 8/14
                  After 4 months down...It's back! and tucked.
                  Need a Swap or some work done in the DC/MD/VA/WV area?
                  PM me and get it done right!

Comment

Originally posted by breeziebabyyy View Post
                    I agree with ^^

Take it easy homie, gosh I was like omg he's got the motor on fire or some shit hahahaaaa good scare l8rzz
                    umm yeah.......................... because the "rev limiter" works when you miss shift 7300 and then a miss shift make sure you have some money saved up

Comment

i honestly think i saved it when i threw the shifter back into nutral as soon as i relized what happend.... i drove it home from work today and a co workers got a 2000 civic si.... he been talking about bustin my ass all night and the h22/f22 combo works just fine for taking out si civics.... and for that f22 got nothng after 3rd gear.... the hell if mine dont.... 3rd gear coming out of 100 and taking a little over 7.5 quick double clutch into 4th and keep it in vtec and it burrys the 130mph on the speedo and keeps pushing around so i dunno about the 4th gear being a fuel saver i know i havnt hit vtec in 5th yet though....

Comment

good to hear you came out o.k. Same thing happened to me when I owned a GS-R, but I wasn't driving too hard so I was actually able to get it out of gear before she reved all the way up.

None the less I was really happy, as B17's come and go, and normally cost an arm and a leg.
                        Last edited by Makaveli2k; 07-19-2008, 09:16 AM.

Comment

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=72628

thats the thread I started when I bent my valves alittle over a year ago.

It was defintly a fun and educating experience to fix it just would've rather have done it under my own terms, but thats what happens when you miss a shift, but its a part of the learning curve I guess

Had plenty of help along the way though to get her back on the road ASAP (thanks again to owequitit and CPmike for all your help)

I guess it has been alot of people that have made the 3rd to 2nd mistake.
                          Now I don't feel so bad

Comment

Originally posted by 1990HybridCB7 View Post
                            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=72628

thats the thread I started when I bent my valves alittle over a year ago.

It was defintly a fun and educating experience to fix it just would've rather have done it under my own terms, but thats what happens when you miss a shift, but its a part of the learning curve I guess

Had plenty of help along the way though to get her back on the road ASAP (thanks again to owequitit and CPmike for all your help)

I guess it has been alot of people that have made the 3rd to 2nd mistake.
                            Now I don't feel so bad
                            LOL! Some of us make it more than once...

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^
                              yea, it was a great learning experience and everything, but hopefully next time im removing the head it'll be because im doing an upgrade and not changing out some bent valves

How many times have you done it owequitit?

I've done it twice, luckily the first time the fuel cut off saved me and I was just bouncing of the rev limiter. The second time was what made me start that thread lol

Comment

to me my misshift was due to a mere shift knob

i was using a dc2 oem shift knob on top of a stock accord shifter. so i had this habit of pulling it to second from 3rd or even from 5th to 3rd.

so i did a 3rd to 2nd instead of 4th on WOT and over reved my shit and it blew up my clutch into pieces. my valves were still okay and i did a compression test. but i ended up paying 250 for a new clutch.

i switched over to a dc5 oem shift knob and i also shortened the shifter and i never had any problems ever since.

Comment

Working...
                                X