Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MySpace??? You Have Been Warned

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/07/07/1824228

Recently a user, Lori Drew, was charged with a felony for the heinous crime of pretending to be someone else on the Internet. Using the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, Lori was charged for signing up for MySpace using a fake name. "The access to MySpace was unauthorized because using a fake name violated the terms of service. The information from a "protected computer" was the profiles of other MySpace users. If this is found to be a valid interpretation of the law, it's really quite frightening. If you violate the Terms of Service of a website, you can be charged with hacking. That's an astounding concept. Does this mean that everyone who uses Bugmenot could be prosecuted? Also, this isn't a minor crime, it's a felony punishable by up to 5 years imprisonment per count. In Drew's case she was charged with three counts for accessing MySpace on three different occasions."
    This is in regards to the woman who created a fake account as a 16yr old boy or some shit and a 13yr fell in love with him/her and then committed suicide....

WTF, i create fake names all the time, i don't trust the inet to put my real info there unless if i'm buying something. Oh well, time to sign up/login via proxy.
    Member's Page:: Coming Soon

It makes sense when the act is part of a larger crime.

Comment

Cops do this too...so hmm if a cop did this to me...and i committed suicide...would the same consequences occur to the cop?...tune in next time, on Unsolved Mysteries.

o but sorry i know that story of course is no laughing matter.

*Needs*
      -New shocks
      -Struts
      -Drop
      -Cleaning
      -New Tires/Wheels
      -New Window Tint
      -Alot more lovin'

My Panda:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ghlight=Djmoua

Comment

Yeah I don't see why everyone is making a big deal about using a fake name. You can put whatever the hell you want as a name, just don't pretend to be someone else and fuck around. my myspace is ME, i juist dont allow people to look me up, thats what facebook is for.

http://www.FLAccords.com

Comment

I'm glad that woman was charged. I read about it when it happened on CNN. The woman got involved in some petty bull shit when she needed to be the roll model.
          My Car
          FREE Web hosting solutions

Comment

Natural selection.
            wat?

Comment

is gravy-licious that she is being charged since that girl killed herself, but if this goes through, that means that most websites can put that clause in there and you can be screwed royally.

ie: my hotmail account [which is my spam mail] i dont have 1 single valid entry in there. First name: Blow, last name: Me, address: 123 abc ln, etc....so now i can be arrested if they decide to start going after those accounts. Is weak thats all.

Damn that biotch for ruining it for the rest.
              Member's Page:: Coming Soon

Comment

Originally posted by bishpuppy View Post

ie: my hotmail account [which is my spam mail] i dont have 1 single valid entry in there. First name: Blow, last name: Me, address: 123 abc ln, etc....so now i can be arrested if they decide to start going after those accounts. Is weak thats all.
                Maybe.
                What do the terms of service that you agreed to say?
                2003 Maxima SE Titanium Edition
                Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.
                1993 Suzuki GSX1100F 136bhp

Comment

Yea its just an all around a crime to humanity. A mother doing this to a young insecure teenage girl. Despicable. I only wish I could of gave some teenage luvin to that girl and helped boost her self confidence up before she killed herself. Only in this case and others like it should she be punished by felony. Using fake info for use of a crime. Kinda like scanner laws. IMO

Comment

Originally posted by bishpuppy View Post
                    is gravy-licious that she is being charged since that girl killed herself, but if this goes through, that means that most websites can put that clause in there and you can be screwed royally.

Damn that biotch for ruining it for the rest.
                    No it does not mean you can be screwed royally.

I love how your totally leaving out the fact that she was indirectly responsible for a suicide.

She taunted and bullied her daugters friend and she hung herself.

In that case, she is being punished for using the medium(myspace) to commit a crime.

You on the other hand making fake names for what reason i have no idea is not going to be punished under the full extent unless you get yourself into some shit, which is why its a good idea to avoid making fake names and acting stupid on the internet as it can be tracked back to you.

Comment

Thats an interesting case, but if the girl never commited suicide would the mother be charged with anything? How about if the mother talked to the girl in person or on the phone, saying all kinds of terrible things, and the girl then commits suicide. In otherwords, take the myspace out of the picture. Would the mother still be charged with a felony?

My swap thread
                      Main relay proplems?--DIY

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
                        No it does not mean you can be screwed royally.

I love how your totally leaving out the fact that she was indirectly responsible for a suicide.

She taunted and bullied her daugters friend and she hung herself.

In that case, she is being punished for using the medium(myspace) to commit a crime.

You on the other hand making fake names for what reason i have no idea is not going to be punished under the full extent unless you get yourself into some shit, which is why its a good idea to avoid making fake names and acting stupid on the internet as it can be tracked back to you.
                        I love how no one is blaming the girls parents, since the 13 year old was obviously unstable.

Her parents could've monitored exactly what she was doing on the internet (ESPECIALLY BEING ONLY 13), and maybe prevented a suicide.

She was not well taken care of mentally, and that was a main reason as to why she resorted to suicide.
                        14 Ford Focus ST - stock(ish) - E30 Tune + Green Filter =

Comment

Working...
                        X