Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hauling a car

Hey everyone,
    I don't know where this should go so I figured I'd put it in the off topic. Its been well over 6 months since Ive gotten to work on my cb Me and my family moved so It is a good 2 and a half hours away. (Im 16) It is drivable but needs inspection, a plate, insured and all that good stuff. I also need to finish replacing the brakes ( I have all the parts) but Id just like to tow it here for now. I need some suggestions on how I should get it here. Its about 5 minutes away from the interstate where it sits now and my house now is only 15 minutes from the interstate so It's pretty much a straight shot. My parents have a 04 Toyota 4runner with a 4.0 V6. Would their suv do well pulling a car? Would a car dolly be alright for this distance?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/help

-Caleb

90 Accord LX Auto
    Engine-F22A1
    Mods- Intake, Full exhaust, Strut bar, lowering springs.

Future Plans- Paint

Towing capacity is 5000 punds for the 04 4Runner. I don't think there would be a big problem towing a vehicle for a couple of hours.
    "I'm a dude playing a dude, disguised as another dude"
    "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."

Romans 10:9
    ><((((º>

Comment

Originally posted by accord90cb View Post
      Hey everyone,
      I don't know where this should go so I figured I'd put it in the off topic. Its been well over 6 months since Ive gotten to work on my cb Me and my family moved so It is a good 2 and a half hours away. (Im 16) It is drivable but needs inspection, a plate, insured and all that good stuff. I also need to finish replacing the brakes ( I have all the parts) but Id just like to tow it here for now. I need some suggestions on how I should get it here. Its about 5 minutes away from the interstate where it sits now and my house now is only 15 minutes from the interstate so It's pretty much a straight shot. My parents have a 04 Toyota 4runner with a 4.0 V6. Would their suv do well pulling a car? Would a car dolly be alright for this distance?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/help

-Caleb
      You will need to get the drive (front) wheels off the ground if it's an automatic. If you tow an automatic with the drive wheels on the ground you will thash the transmition.
      Two wheel car haulers can be rented.
      Take that freek show to the park, maybe the squirrels will care.

Comment

get a tow dolly, and go for it. if u rent one from uhaul and u tell them its an accord, and ur gonna tow it with a 4runner they might not rent it to you...tell them its a civic hatch ur towing, lol
        they like to see a v8 truck towing a car the size of the accord, tho the 4runner will have no problem.

instagram @mikeymeyagi

Comment

thanks for the replies. I appreciate the tips.

90 Accord LX Auto
          Engine-F22A1
          Mods- Intake, Full exhaust, Strut bar, lowering springs.

Future Plans- Paint

Comment

harbor freight 700 dollars lol.

The New-ish Ride
            My old Ride
            Hear my Vtak!!!
            MK3 Member #3
            I piss off people for fun.
            IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

tow dolley from uhaul is about $40/day, 4runner will tow it fine.
              1990 Frost White EX Coupe F23A1 - PART OUT
              01 DC4

Comment

i paid 60 bucks to tow my jeep cheorkee from chicago to st louis. i had a 91 f-150 I-6 4.9 5-spd left it in 4th gear and drove 6 hours at 55 mph with a tow dolly.

your car is much lighter so it will be no problem. but you might want to leave it a gear lower than crusing speed and stay at 55mph to save gas.

oh btw when my friend gave me my first cb he had i think a 1999 toyota truck. it had a 2.2 4 cylinder 5-spd and he used a full twin axle trailer to tow it from the west side st. louis to hiway 64 in IL and he have no trouble towing it. that 4runner have a bigger engine so no sweat for it
                1991 White Accord LX 5-speed aka Lil' Red

Comment

i put a porsche 944 on a twin axle trailer and towed it w/ a jeep grand cherokee w/ a 4.0i6.
                  i think the 4runner has more "balls" than that i6. id use a full trailer. i towed a del sol on the interstate w/ a dolly and bc the dolly doesnt have brakes it wanted to push us. and that was in a 92 silverado 1500 4.3

full trailer for the win, especially if u haven't towed
                  Last edited by kc8enb07; 07-03-2008, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Get a flat deck. It will make life much, much better. Trailer brakes are pretty flippin awesome too.

Comment

Working...
                    X