No announcement yet.

Talk some sense into me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I worked with a guy when I was 20/21 that had 3 Starions. I still want one.
    1993 Prelude S
    F22A1
    custom'ish turbo setup
    180 whp/217 ft-lbs super hot, super humid, super rich, boost falling off at 8psi
    18psi boost spike = BOOM!!!!!
    currently being rebuilt

Comment

Mine has had more issues than most. It has only been driven 65k miles in 21 years. Thats 3095 miles a year. Sitting is worse on a car than driving it 200k+ miles.

Oh and the pros for it:
      Closed deck iron block
      RWD
      LSD
      big displacement
      you can run 16-18psi on stock fuel/turbo/ignition
      super easy to work on
      engine repair is inexpensive comparatively
      the styling is 2nd to none
      awesome interior
      digital climate control
      9 band equalizer on stock radio
      it's fun to see the looks on peoples face when u drive by. lots of "wtf?"
      it humors me when people call it by other names
      it's been mistaken for a lotus
      Last edited by CoPilot1; 06-24-2008, 06:54 PM.
      1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
      4.0L I-6 2WD
      293k miles, still running strong.
      Freshly rebuilt transmission.

Comment

Originally posted by CoPilot1 View Post
        Mine has had more issues than most. It has only been driven 65k miles in 21 years. Thats 3095 miles a year. Sitting is worse on a car than driving it 200k+ miles.

Oh and the pros for it:
        Closed deck iron block
        RWD
        LSD
        big displacement
        you can run 16-18psi on stock fuel/turbo/ignition
        super easy to work on
        engine repair is inexpensive comparatively
        the styling is 2nd to none
        awesome interior
        digital climate control
        9 band equalizer on stock radio
        it's fun to see the looks on peoples face when u drive by. lots of "wtf?"
        it humors me when people call it by other names
        it's been mistaken for a lotus

I go look at it tomorrow night. I would have done it by now, but my two oldest flew to FL to live with their mother tonight and I wanted to spend as much time with them as possible before they left.

Comment

Well, I went and looked at this car and I know why the guy was so interested in a trade.
          Not only did it need a new cv shaft and control arm, it needed them because he let it get out from under him and slid it across a curb sideways. The wheel was fucked, the caliper was hanging off (not sure why) and my buddy (the mechanic school grad) found some underbody damage that spooked him a little.
          The guys ad said the DP rattled when you shut the car off and sometimes when you drove. It didn't say that it did that because the exhaust was gone from the cat back. The turbo spun good, didn't chatter, but wouldn't spool up to 0 psi, but that was because the car wouldn't rev right(Secondary injector I think is what copilot told me the problem was when I explained it to him). It coughed some yummy blue smoke on start up and then missed, stumbled and surged when it warmed up. After I let it warm up, I got in and gave it some throttle blips that would have banged the redline in my coupe, but didn't get this POS past 3k (I think. The tach didn't work either).
          He told me he thought it had a new head because it was shinier than the rest of the engine when he bought the car a year ago, but the VC gasket was leaking oil all over it, so I'm of course a little skeptical about that, too

This car had so many problems that I didn't even have to think about it. I did let the guy scope out my coupe and hear it run. Told him what I had done to it and how much power I was making with my little 2.2 liter N/A f22a1 (150 hp) at which point he tried to tell me his came with 180 hp stock and 200+ ft. lbs. of torque. He was all eyes and saliva, telling me his first car was a 96 Accord EX and how much he wants to get back into an Accord. My buddy had been making "You probably want to talk to your wife before you decide anything" noises for about ten minutes, and I was in TOTAL agreement. I told the guy I needed to think about it and talk to my wife, but I'd let him know in a day or so.

I'm glad I went and looked at it, but I'm keeping the coupe FTW!!!! I did tell the wife that this means I'll be looking to go boosted or bottled though!!!

Thanks to everyone for their advice and opinions, especially Nick. Keep me updated on your build, brother. I can't wait to see you get her to the track and put up some numbers.

Comment

It's sad to hear that a Starion has been neglected so... but I'm glad you didn't put your CB7 in that guy's hands!

Comment

I will definitely be posting vids from its first track passes before too long. I'm not expecting much honestly, id be shocked with high 8s in the 1/8, the gearing just isnt there....yet
              1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
              4.0L I-6 2WD
              293k miles, still running strong.
              Freshly rebuilt transmission.

Comment

hey John, I know you were talking about that Starion the other day at the meet and that went sour..

..and this may be a stupid question. But does the 89 Starion have similarities with an 89 Chrysler Conquest? I know nothing about either one of them but I was driving back to my dorm and someone is actually selling one on campus. I stopped the car and got out because I thought it was a Starion at first. It looks like it's in mint condition as it sits right now and when I got closer to the window it says it has a turbo.

shoot me a PM if you'd like me to snap a few photo's for you. just lookin out for ya

From what I could see in the minute I was looking:
                1. shaved front emblem.
                2. beautiful shade of blue.
                3. Momo steering wheel.
                4. Manual Transmission.
                5. no visible rust.
                6. turbocharged "calims to be"
                7. asking $5,500.. but he's a poor college kid, I'm sure you can talk him down.

Let me know man.

Comment

Originally posted by ExCoupe92 View Post
                  hey John, I know you were talking about that Starion the other day at the meet and that went sour..

..and this may be a stupid question. But does the 89 Starion have similarities with an 89 Chrysler Conquest? I know nothing about either one of them but I was driving back to my dorm and someone is actually selling one on campus. I stopped the car and got out because I thought it was a Starion at first. It looks like it's in mint condition as it sits right now and when I got closer to the window it says it has a turbo.

shoot me a PM if you'd like me to snap a few photo's for you. just lookin out for ya

From what I could see in the minute I was looking:
                  1. shaved front emblem.
                  2. beautiful shade of blue.
                  3. Momo steering wheel.
                  4. Manual Transmission.
                  5. no visible rust.
                  6. turbocharged "calims to be"
                  7. asking $5,500.. but he's a poor college kid, I'm sure you can talk him down.

Let me know man.

Yah, exact same car, different badging. It's probably Fiji blue, which is what I want. And it's definitely turbocharged, they didn't come any other way. $5500 seems steep, but it could be worth it. Out of my range, though. The only way I was going to be able to score this one was a trade. Good looking out though.

Comment

Working...
                  X