Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What old, cheap, reliable cars are there that are fantasic on gas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

89-91 corolla 4spd manual and try get the 1.5L 5A-FE/FHE (the 5A only came with JDM models so we got them stock in jamaica)

and if you want even more get a starlet with 1.3L 4E-FE with 4spd manual (use the A series gear box as these gears are much taller but you will have to swap the bellhousing to fit the E series)

Comment

i dont like toyotas personally

toyota corolla type s = type stupid

but honda prelude type s = type sexy

Comment

Originally posted by accord=inspire? View Post

yea i get that alot

i was so pissed when i found out the 4age was not as efficient as honda's b16

toyota is where my heart is truely at... but i have to keep up to speed with everyone around me so honda for now

Comment

Originally posted by fatboy1185 View Post
          what about the mazda 323??
          ftw! i had a hatch before i got the accord. 3 weeks on a tank of gas! never had problems!
          miss my turbo cb7
          moved onto volvos. dont know how that happened, just did

Comment

92-95 Civic CX. Routinely tops 40MPG city, is simple, and reliable, and more useful and practical than a CRX.
            The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
              92-95 Civic CX. Routinely tops 40MPG city, is simple, and reliable, and more useful and practical than a CRX.
              Very true. I suppose if I got a Civic hatch, I could deal with it being a Civic. My only fear is the gargantuan aftermarket for the Civic. I mean, I've modded the GTP already... All those little cars have an aftermarket, though, so I guess that's no excuse!

So Civic, Corolla, 323... those are the best suggestions so far. The Hondas definitely seem to be on top there, though.

I wish there was some forgotten oddball vehicle that would be absolutely amazing... but with gas as it is now, it's not likely ANY efficient vehicle would go forgotten. Not without a good reason, anyway (like reliability!)

Comment

A bit Off-Topic, but mike(deev), do some research man. Both on cars, but also on gas.

And this kinda goes out to everyone. Say what you will and whatnot, but ive read and heard from ppl who deal with the oil companies and know the industry, and its not going down. There's talks of gas, in Canada, costing over $4/litre by 2012. Im not sure on my numbers, but i wanna say thats something like $12/gallon in the states....?

So, we either have to buckle down or get used to it.

As for the best car(s), Honda and Toyota. Definitely. And lets not forget about Nissan. Some of their older cars were small engined gas savers.

I knew a friend with a late 80s/early 90s Mazda hatch. Had HUGE doors, but i heard she got massive numbers on gas. Something like a constant 35/36+.

And what about cars like the old festivas? I know, Ford sucks, but i saw one the other day and it was like base model. Didnt even have a backseat. Caught the dude that owned it and he said it had like 317k on it and he was still getting 32/38. He was older(like 50s) so he probably doesnt have a heavy foot, but this car was in really clean condition.

Id think the old hondas and toyotas are where its at.

There's only one problem. How many are left that are in good or repairable condition? Theyve either been crushed, riced, beaten on or have like 500k on em...

Guess you could always do the soon to be popular econo-swaps.

Or just pick up an 81 civic and do a b-series swap and call it a day.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
                Originally posted by Jarrett
                Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                  Very true. I suppose if I got a Civic hatch, I could deal with it being a Civic. My only fear is the gargantuan aftermarket for the Civic. I mean, I've modded the GTP already... All those little cars have an aftermarket, though, so I guess that's no excuse!

So Civic, Corolla, 323... those are the best suggestions so far. The Hondas definitely seem to be on top there, though.

I wish there was some forgotten oddball vehicle that would be absolutely amazing... but with gas as it is now, it's not likely ANY efficient vehicle would go forgotten. Not without a good reason, anyway (like reliability!)
                  You aren't addressing the REAL issue though.

The REAL issue is that YOU will want to mod cars. The Civic is perfectly capable of staying stock, but you may not be.

Also, just an FYI, since I had one of those, if you aren't satisfied with the performance, I personally would recommend finding a stock low mileage D16Y7 from an EK DX hatch and bolting that in, with a B series TB and a D16Z6 or D16Y8 IM. That setup got me a car that would pull damn near a 14 (15.1) second 1/4, was all stock Honda, and thus completely reliable, and would STILL give me about 37-40MPG in the city. It even still had the coffee can close coupled cat exhaust manifold from the stock D16Y7. It had almost an extra 40HP (70 vs 106), so you ended up being on it a lot less. Had awesome torque for the weight and would run happily all day long on pretty much piss water. With a few more mods, it could have easily been in the 14's. Also, it opens up TONS of CHEAP modding potential. Swap a D16Y8 head on it, and you will have a higher compression (would require premium) engine for $300 or less that will probably pull on B16's. Not that I am telling you to do that. I am merely showing you that for a couple hundred bucks worth of $$, you could have a car that goes from high 17-18's, to 14's, and STILL gets amazing MPG. Like I said, I used to run about 300-325 miles on 7-8 gallons.

Visibility is excellent, it drives like a go cart, gets awesome MPG, has an AMAZING amount of room inside (I bet you could fit a dishwasher with the seat down) and D series stuff can be had for practically free if you look hard enough. There is no power steering, no AC, and no BS. I did a timing belt/water pump and routine service on mine in about an hour. Insurance is cheap too.

I will be perfectly honest in admitting that I have not traditionally been a very big Civic fan either, but that EG single handedly changed my mind. You are doing yourself a severe dis-service if you don't try one out for a few miles.

Also, since it is basically an Integra under the skin, you can upgrade the suspension/wheels and tires with other Civic/Integra stuff for cheap, and still have a car that rides awesome and handles like it is on rails. As much as I like my luxury stuff, 2 things can't be denied about physics. Handling and MPG are both based on weight. The less you have of it, the more you will get out of the other two.
                  The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by accord=inspire? View Post

you can't hate me just because I drive a Toyota
                    oh, I forgot I drive Honda too...

...........AE86-GTS: SOLD.................................................. ........CB7-DX: SOLD

Comment

i got a 3rd gen civic from noxidea, im putting a B20/vtec in it, tuning low cam for fuel economy, gonna get 35+ mpg, and be able to run low 14's in the 1/4 haha

instagram @mikeymeyagi

Comment

Working...
                      X