Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm trying Royal Purple motor oil....any opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mchaley
    I've heard of reports of RP being... not so good for heads. It's got a compound in it similar to graphite called something like molybemdium sulfide. Either way, that makes it more slippery but I hear its rough on heads. Something to research.
    Molybdenum Sulfide is what prefents your rockers from eating your cams. There is nothing about it that will cause additional wear on heads. It is the LACK of Molybdenum sulfide that causes wear on heads.
    Originally posted by sweet91accord
    if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

i switched to rp my last oil change my engine is running alot smoother
      UNDERGROUND SOCIETY
      NEW COUPE MEMBERS RIDE THREAD COMMING SOON

Comment

Originally posted by 1990Ex
        i switched to rp my last oil change my engine is running alot smoother
        good news! okay well i'm gonna change the oil now...will report back!

member's ride thread
        93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
        99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
        91 Accord SE 176k
        97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2
          good news! okay well i'm gonna change the oil now...will report back!

i also swapped ecu p12 is awsome
          UNDERGROUND SOCIETY

Comment

Originally posted by foamypirate
            Molybdenum Sulfide is what prefents your rockers from eating your cams. There is nothing about it that will cause additional wear on heads. It is the LACK of Molybdenum sulfide that causes wear on heads.
            Not that I can, but can you back that up?
            My Car
            FREE Web hosting solutions

Comment

Originally posted by mchaley
              Not that I can, but can you back that up?
              http://bobistheoilguy.com/moly.html
              http://bobistheoilguy.com/moly1.html
              Originally posted by sweet91accord
              if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

it's attracted to metal. Well... the entire engine is metal - oil pan, cylinder walls, etc. Heads/crank - would be good. What about bearings. I really dont know much about this, but it sounds like a good idea only on paper. I'm not sure.
                My Car
                FREE Web hosting solutions

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
                  I would stay under 5000 miles to be safe. You may be able to go higher, but 5000 is always a good number. 3000 is a bit early. A number devised by the oil companies (and oil change companies, like Jiffy Lube, who I believe is responsible for the popularization of the number...) to make more money.
                  What most people don't understand, is that for the general public who has no fucking clue whats going on with their car 99% of the time, it is a good thing when some one "profesional", takes a peek under your car every 3k miles.I've had a couple cars at work where i've changed the oil and when they came back at 3-3.5k, i found a leaking waterpump or transmission pan.Ms. soccer mom dont have clue her car could run low on fluid and break down on her.If she waited 5 or 6k miles, who knows how bad it might of gotten?So if your dealership, or the place you get your oil changed suggests the 3k service interval, they might be doing you a favor.
                  People I have dealt with in this board- Smseagren83,d112crzy, Idrivealude, aznpnoyracer, wed3k, dinertime, HF22T, MRX, Dc2lewd, yeamans17, bruno8747, tn_accords, king james, starchland, yardiexd40

Mk3 Supra Member #2

Originally posted by DarkShadow707
                  The world needs to be reset.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
                    I would stay under 5000 miles to be safe. You may be able to go higher, but 5000 is always a good number. 3000 is a bit early. A number devised by the oil companies (and oil change companies, like Jiffy Lube, who I believe is responsible for the popularization of the number...) to make more money.

Synthetic is good for a healthy motor. If you have leaks, synthetic oil will find them... and escape.

Speaking of Redline... when I can afford it, I'm putting their tranny fluid in my GTP.

if you're running high quality oils such as Amsoil, Redline or RP, you can change the oil every 10k miles with no problem.

Turbo cars are a bit different, since they experience much higher heat differences.
                    14 Ford Focus ST - stock(ish) - E30 Tune + Green Filter =

Comment

SWEET! I like this oil. I can kinda feel a difference when feathering the gas driving in the city from 0-40. Its also alot smoother on idle and the shifts for some reason aren't as solid which is good. I didn't actually believe this stuff was purple....guess I was wrong. I thought it was a gimmick but no, its ACTUALLY purple lol.

member's ride thread
                      91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2
                        SWEET! I like this oil. I can kinda feel a difference when feathering the gas driving in the city from 0-40. Its also alot smoother on idle and the shifts for some reason aren't as solid which is good. I didn't actually believe this stuff was purple....guess I was wrong. I thought it was a gimmick but no, its ACTUALLY purple lol.

glad you like it cause i love it!!!
                        UNDERGROUND SOCIETY

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k
                          check this out...

Big Block Chevy, naturally aspirated made 980 hp on the engine dyno running royal purple.

they did asbolutely nothing to the motor but change the oil to amsoil and oil filter. the motor picked up 49.9 hp which brings it to ~1030 hp.

i saw the dyno sheet in person and was built by Dave Haver. 5% gain from the motor only. amsoil claims around 3% from motor oil, transmission and rear diff oil.

I hear nothing but good bout amsoil. Thinking about running the year interval one.

Comment

im going to be running rp in my accord. hopefully it would be alot better than conventional oil.
                            miss my turbo cb7
                            moved onto volvos. dont know how that happened, just did

Comment

Originally posted by quickangel93
                              im going to be running rp in my accord. hopefully it would be alot better than conventional oil.
                              I'm sure it would be. Even my valve ticking went away by a lot after this RP was put in. It's good stuff. As I was putting it in, I could smell how detergenty it smelled, so it must have extra additives to keep the engine cleaner as well.

member's ride thread
                              91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

I had RP on my civic once. with an OEM filter. it ran well.

but better, I not sure

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
                                01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
                                93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
                                93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

Working...
                                X