Legal Term for Contract in between states

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legal Term for Contract in between states

You guys know how different states have different contracts in between them regarding traffic history? For example, NY-NJ, PA-NJ, NY-ON. How the driving points and history tranfers over and stuff? What is that term called?

I have a PA license and i got a speeding ticket in NY for 94 in a 65, and i need to know what the relationship between the two states are. I know rusty probably knows and could help me out, lol. I just need to know so i can search, and look it up, BC i have no clue as to what to search for.

And for you people that are going to read this and reply with a "maybe you should slow down", or something stupid like that, please dont. Your post isnt going to change the way i drive, especially coming from who knows who over the internet.

----------------My 92 Honda Accord LX---------------------- My 97 Nissan 240sx LE----

NE GUYS, Buy the last of my accord parts

omg... i have failed the cb7tuner community... I have no idea what your talking about. States don't have contracts inbetween them. Each state has their own statutes like Ma has one that says if you travel through the state and cause injury you consent to being brought to court in their jurisdiction. so maybe you could search the states insurance and traffic laws

as far as i know around my area if you get caught speeding in the state you don't live in the points don't get transfered over. I've had friends who have gotten enough speeding tickets in RI and other states to have their license suspended but had no points on their ins b/c they lived in Ma. (but that could just be a Ma. thing since we have weird Ins policies to begin with)

Maple might have a better idea. i'm pretty sure he's gotten pulled over in every state on the East coast.
    "Auto racing, bull fighting and mountain climbing are the only real sports....all others are games."
    - Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty
      omg... i have failed the cb7tuner community... I have no idea what your talking about. States don't have contracts inbetween them. Each state has their own statutes like Ma has one that says if you travel through the state and cause injury you consent to being brought to court in their jurisdiction. so maybe you could search the states insurance and traffic laws

as far as i know around my area if you get caught speeding in the state you don't live in the points don't get transfered over. I've had friends who have gotten enough speeding tickets in RI and other states to have their license suspended but had no points on their ins b/c they lived in Ma. (but that could just be a Ma. thing since we have weird Ins policies to begin with)

Maple might have a better idea. i'm pretty sure he's gotten pulled over in every state on the East coast.
      they do have contracts.. Some will disclose there records with others some wont (suspensions, violations, etc). Most states do this now.
      Last edited by ChIoVnIdCa; 04-14-2008, 11:11 AM.

Comment

ill an out-of-state traffic ticket affect my Pennsylvania driving status?

The state treats all out-of-state violations as if they occurred in Pennsylvania. So if you got arrested for DUI in North Dakota, for example, it would be treated the same way as if it occurred in Pittsburgh, resulting in a suspension.

So just search is NY and PA shares information about out of state traffic violations.. If they do your screwed.

Comment

If you want to search its called reciprocity.. Make sure you pay the ticket anyways. They may only report tickets that haven't been paid

Comment

I do not recall the term at this time, but know From MA to FL all share...

Not necessarily speaking from my own experience.

Trev.
            RETIRED...

Comment

Originally posted by ChIoVnIdCa
              they do have contracts.. Some will disclose there records with others some wont (suspensions, violations, etc). Most states do this now.
              yes, thats what I am talking about. Some disclose everything, some are partial and stuff like that. I am 100% positive they have this in between certain states. I just forget what its called.

It happens a lot with neighboring states where many people commute to another state for work.

----------------My 92 Honda Accord LX---------------------- My 97 Nissan 240sx LE----

Comment

Originally posted by JohnD1079
                yes, thats what I am talking about. Some disclose everything, some are partial and stuff like that. I am 100% positive they have this in between certain states. I just forget what its called.

It happens a lot with neighboring states where many people commute to another state for work.
                reciprocity

Comment

Originally posted by ChIoVnIdCa
                  I may have spoke too soon. Its not that they don't have contracts its that they are generally not called contracts. state to state agreements are generally called compacts or treaties.

EDIT: I didn't speak to soon.... They don't have Contracts. A contract requires an offer, an acceptance and some consideration. None of this takes place. (I would have stated this sooner but was in class when I saw the reply and wasn't paying attention fully) Contract was just a poor choice of words

The term reciprocity didn't even cross my mind. You may have trouble searching for reciprocity b/c it is used for more than just the legal sense. Not sure though b/c I haven't tried.
                  Last edited by Rusty; 04-14-2008, 08:13 PM.
                  "Auto racing, bull fighting and mountain climbing are the only real sports....all others are games."
                  - Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Get a hold of your states dmv rule and regulation book. It may even be available online. Ive looked this up for NY many times. If you have a NY license out of state tickets dont count toward any points on your NY state license record with the exception of some areas of Canada which will carry over to your NY license.

Comment

the term I usually heard used was "interstate compact"

Comment

Ok bad news.....

http://www.dot3.state.pa.us/pdotform.../chapter15.pdf

You should check out page 44 subchapter D: Articles 1,2,3,4

It looks like any violation made in any other state would be the same as if you did it in Penn.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisisiced
                          Ok bad news.....

http://www.dot3.state.pa.us/pdotform.../chapter15.pdf

You should check out page 44 subchapter D: Articles 1,2,3,4

It looks like any violation made in any other state would be the same as if you did it in Penn.
                          Thanks for finding it for me. Im at work so i cant view pdf, so ill have to wait till i get home.

I know my dad got 2 tickets in NY. One of them the stuff got tranfered and one didnt. I dont know the details of those two instances though, other than they were all in the same general area, including this one.

Comment

You could just call your local DMV and ask.
                            1992 Prelude S w/swapped H22A

Comment

i know that new york and ontario have some type of agreement. Not sure what it entails, probably allowing them to search previous driving record if your out of state,etc. pay the ticket.

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
                              "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
                              "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

Working...
                              X