Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil filter

Just a random thought:
    can you over tighten an oil filter? i mean... if you tighten it by hand and not with a tool (like I do). I always find it easier to just twist it on and off... its on tight, I just want to make sure I didnt over tighten it.
    My Car
    FREE Web hosting solutions

If you over tighten it, you can tear the oil o-ring and cause an oil leak. You'd have to replace the filter.
    Originally posted by sweet91accord
    if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

can that be done by hand? I'd imagine a). it'd leak like a bitch b). you'd realize you over tightened it.

I tighten and loosen by hand... cant imagine you'd have enough grip to tear the gasket. I try to spin it on till the filter stops, from there I try to go 1 full revolution past that.
      My Car

Comment

Yeah, I've always done it by hand, both on and off. Been fine so far, and I've never had them leak or get stuck on.
        Originally posted by sweet91accord
        if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

yeah, same. Today I couldnt do the 1 full rotation so I wanted to make sure i cant overtighten by hand. it's on though. maybe I didnt put enough oil on the gasket... idk. meh
          My Car

Comment

i dont think you can unless you are just ridiculously strong.. i have however "overtightened" a filter in the past while working at jiffy lube.. i kept tightening it and it never got snug, just pretty tight, until it finally broke loose and came off in my hand.. had nothing to do with my massive arms though (hah), it just turned out to be faulty manufactured threads on the filter..

Comment

i couldnt get mine off the other night, i have to buy the tool and replace it...
              93 Coupe........AutoX

Comment

yeah i've had pretty good luck with them. I'm always able to torque them off by hand. makes it easier... no room in there for tools anyway :P
                My Car

Comment

I always tighten them by hand. However I have seen people use filter wrenches to tighten them up not cool.

The New-ish Ride
                  My old Ride
                  Hear my Vtak!!!
                  MK3 Member #3
                  I piss off people for fun.
                  IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
                    I always tighten them by hand. However I have seen people use filter wrenches to tighten them up not cool.
                    yep.

hand to get them on, wrench to get them off.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                    Current cars:
                    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

If you get it on by hand you should be able to get it off by hand.

The first oil change I did on my Lude sucked, I couldn't get the filter off.

I tried wrenches, strap wrench, everything.

I ended up stabbing the filter with a big ass screwdriver and twisting it off that way. Works well if ya ever get one stuck.

Comment

lol, i'll keep that in mind :P
                        My Car

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike]
                          yep.

hand to get them on, wrench to get them off.

x2

Comment

^x3

Comment

Originally posted by wrichards2005
                              If you get it on by hand you should be able to get it off by hand.

The first oil change I did on my Lude sucked, I couldn't get the filter off.

I tried wrenches, strap wrench, everything.

I ended up stabbing the filter with a big ass screwdriver and twisting it off that way. Works well if ya ever get one stuck.
                              Not always. One time I let a friend put on the oil filter because he wanted to, not sure why but w/e. Next time I could not get it off by hand. Last time I let him do anything.
                              Gary A.K.A. Carter
                              [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Working...
                              X