Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Used car values...Some tips from the Rob....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Used car values...Some tips from the Rob....

This isn't directed at anyone in particular, so don't think it is....

Does anyone do research anymore before pricing a used vehicle? I mean seriously. I've seen people come up with prices that only a crackhead could fathom in the first place. Rediculous amounts of money wanted for cars that are worth at best a fraction of the asking price.

People wonder why their stuff doesn't sell. Here's a few hints.....

- Use KBB or NADA to get a ballpark. When using KBB, select the "Private Party" value. When using NADA, the trade in value is a decent ballpark. I'm sorry, but unless you are a used car dealer, don't expect to get FULL RETAIL out of your car. You can't finance anyone, and in all reality most people that are going to be interested in your product probably don't have the money to pay for it outright........

- Quit overselling your product. I've seen stuff on the internet that says it's in "Great Condition" that in all reality could pass as fair, at best. On a cloudy day. At night. In the rain. Just because it runs good doesn't make up for the fact that it's rusty or has dents every 6 inches. Take my car, for example. Runs GREAT. Probably only worth 800 or so in the condition it's in body wise right now tho. Not that it matters, I'm not selling a car.

- Stop assuming that just because something is "modded" that it's worth more. Fact is, people pay more for stock cars. Nobody wants to pick up in the middle of someone else's project. At BEST, figure you might get back 10% of your "Mod" investment in the sale.

And please, people, PLEASE quit posting ads with "Make an Offer" as your listing price. Listen, we all know you have a set price in mind...... Cut the bullshit and list a number. Then maybe you won't have the issues with lowballers all the damn time.

That concludes my rant for the evening. If anyone needs me, I'm going to go have a nice big piece of cheese cake, because that sounds delicious right now....

- Rob -
    92 Auto Sedan - "Rustoration"
    85 Toyota 4Runner
    1977 Kawasaki KZ1000/ZX6/10R Hybrid
    2008 HD 1200N
    2009 HD 883N

i agree with every bit of this.

Comment

Originally posted by StoobyMcDooby
      i agree with every bit of this.
      x2, very well said, very much sums up how i feel about the subject

Comment

what about cars like joeys or type G's?

Comment

They're in exceptionally good shape, so I imagine they could get a bit more out of them than your typical car would garner. Not a lot more tho.

- Rob -
          92 Auto Sedan - "Rustoration"
          85 Toyota 4Runner
          1977 Kawasaki KZ1000/ZX6/10R Hybrid
          2008 HD 1200N
          2009 HD 883N

Comment

Originally posted by 203Cree
            This isn't directed at anyone in particular, so don't think it is....

Does anyone do research anymore before pricing a used vehicle? I mean seriously. I've seen people come up with prices that only a crackhead could fathom in the first place. Rediculous amounts of money wanted for cars that are worth at best a fraction of the asking price.

People wonder why their stuff doesn't sell. Here's a few hints.....

- Use KBB or NADA to get a ballpark. When using KBB, select the "Private Party" value. When using NADA, the trade in value is a decent ballpark. I'm sorry, but unless you are a used car dealer, don't expect to get FULL RETAIL out of your car. You can't finance anyone, and in all reality most people that are going to be interested in your product probably don't have the money to pay for it outright........

- Quit overselling your product. I've seen stuff on the internet that says it's in "Great Condition" that in all reality could pass as fair, at best. On a cloudy day. At night. In the rain. Just because it runs good doesn't make up for the fact that it's rusty or has dents every 6 inches. Take my car, for example. Runs GREAT. Probably only worth 800 or so in the condition it's in body wise right now tho. Not that it matters, I'm not selling a car.

- Stop assuming that just because something is "modded" that it's worth more. Fact is, people pay more for stock cars. Nobody wants to pick up in the middle of someone else's project. At BEST, figure you might get back 10% of your "Mod" investment in the sale.

And please, people, PLEASE quit posting ads with "Make an Offer" as your listing price. Listen, we all know you have a set price in mind...... Cut the bullshit and list a number. Then maybe you won't have the issues with lowballers all the damn time.

That concludes my rant for the evening. If anyone needs me, I'm going to go have a nice big piece of cheese cake, because that sounds delicious right now....
            If you find the right buyer, they will sell for more. Besides, Rule of selling #1. Start high, and work your way down.
            The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by 203Cree
              I agree, but especially with this part......

Comment

I also have another tip:

DON'T WRITE YOUR ENTIRE FOR SALE AD IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS. YOU LOOK LIKE AN ASS AND EVEN IF IT IS A GREAT DEAL I AM GOING TO GO ON TO THE NEXT ADD. ASS.
                Originally posted by sweet91accord
                if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Modded cars selling for less is generally true. However, Ive seen quite a few modded cars that I would consider less mod and more resto (our cars are old enough to start using that term I think ) Thats the point that I think Id pay more for a modded car.

I just hope I can get mine to full restomod status before I sell it.
                  To-Do List for Today
                  Be Awesome

Comment

kbb is an estimate...if a car is for sale for 200-300 more than bb you aren't getting screwed...visa versa
                    ____

Comment

I'm always reasearching cars in my spare time lol. I look to see what's out there for sale, then research. My fav. sites are consumerguide.com and http://carsurvey.org/ to conduct my research. There are too many people asking too much for their cars.

I also like watching cars start from a $6000 ***FIRM** price work it's way down to about $2000 OBO lol. Silly people.
                      Last edited by Dinner_Time; 04-13-2008, 03:35 PM.

Sean-Dinner.com

Comment

Working...
                      X