Primus Sucks!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Primus Sucks!!!

Any other Primus/Claypool fans out there?

Going to see Les Claypool, Skerik, Mike Dillon and Paulo Baldi on Tuesday.

Gonna be SICK!!!!

Wish Claypool would get back together with Buckthead
    Wish Claypool would get back together with Trey Anastasio

UPDATE: amazing recording of the show available HERE
    http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=514487
    Last edited by Phempa; 04-07-2008, 06:06 AM.

I rocked Primus back in the day. Love the bass lines. Sounds like a great show, hope you have a good time. Take an MP3 recorder and bring us some bootlegs!!

Comment

Primus FTW.
      members/ride | the/website
      180 hp/145 ft-lb

Comment

Originally posted by visualpoet
        I rocked Primus back in the day. Love the bass lines. Sounds like a great show, hope you have a good time. Take an MP3 recorder and bring us some bootlegs!!
        LOL... mp3 recorder.

no mp3's here man. 24 bit lossless for the win. Will have two sources. one with AKG mics, one with Microphone Madness cardioids. Will be the 3rd time I've taped Claypool related.

Just pulled off a nice Buckethead soundboard. sounds stellar.

Comment

Damn Ben that sounds sikkk.

Lossless ftw!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Phempa
            Any other Primus/Claypool fans out there?

Going to see Les Claypool, Skerik, Mike Dillon and Paulo Baldi on Tuesday.

Gonna be SICK!!!!

Wish Claypool would get back together with Buckthead
            Wish Claypool would get back together with Trey Anastasio
            Les Claypool is a badass......I didn't like Primus for the LONGEST time......but damn, grew on me for sure!
            14 Ford Focus ST - stock(ish) - E30 Tune + Green Filter =

Comment

Primus was the first band I started listening to... my uncle gave me "sailing the seas of cheese" :P Where's the concert at? I'd love to go to one of those shows
              My Car
              FREE Web hosting solutions

Comment

will you post the link for the lossless torrent?

Comment

show is here tonight in Tucson... he's got a couple more shows left on this tour, then will be appearing with Primus at the Rothbury Music Festival in Michigan.

here's his tour schedule:
                  http://lesclaypool.com/tour/

expect to see a tour in the summer as well. what band he will be touring with is yet to be determined.

and yes, I will post the link to the torrent when I've finished mastering.

here's a link to the Buckethead show in Flagstaff in February.:
                  http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=513260

Comment

Words cannot describe what the music did to me that night.

Skerik's sax describes the emotion of the moment in music perfectly. He delivers each note with cartoon-like pseudo-lyrical emphasis. Having to substitute a sax where there should be a guitar should be a daunting task, but he pulls it off without sweat. I don't believe there is a better sax player alive.

Mike Dillon impresses, as always. The vibes are beautiful and crisp, and send beautiful aural tones throughout the venue. I'm not sure what he does, but sometimes he bends his notes with some pedal that announces a sound no other instrument could replicate. Almost resembles water droplets distorting each particular note, producing beautifully sweet melodies.

Paulo Baldi is one hell of a consistent drummer. Almost reminds me of 311's drummer, with a short sweet, and loud snare. The bass drum modeled my heartbeat, as I was standing about 2 feet directly in front of the right bass stacks.

And Les Claypool.... well... what can be said about the man that has already been said. By far my favorite musician/songwriter. Some argue the best bassist to have lived, which I may have to agree with. His energy and stage presence add so much more to the show. I counted 4 different types of bass instruments he cycled through (electric bass, upright electric/acoustic bass, whamola and bassjo), all of which he is an absolute master of. It was april fools day, so I figured he'd do something silly.... he brought his two small children up on stage in Elvis masks and wigs to throw buckets-worth of candy into the crowd. It's amazing how happy one tootsie-roll from Les Claypool can make someone

All in all, a wonderful show, with a PACKED theater. I recorded the show from the front right speaker stack, mics on a stand about 12 feet in the air.
                    (2) AKG C1000S Mics > Shure FP24 Stereo Preamp > Sony PCM-M1 DAT Recorder

The quality is outstanding. Only complaint is that during the show, the soundguy was doing some panning. Anything that came out of the left speaker only was captured at very low levels. This only occured once or twice throughout the show, though, and is not a nuisance whatsoever.

I had dropped two hits of liquid LSD prior to the opener coming on (Tim Fite who, btw was also amazing), so by the time Les and the band hit the stage, I was starting a trip that wouldn't end until hours after the show.

It was a night that melted in to one amazing melting mesh of magnificent music. If you every have the opportunity to catch Les Claypool (with any band) I urge you to make it there any way possible.

Here's a link to a torrent of the show (must sign up to download):
                    http://www.shnflac.net/details.php?i...65b03615bd682d

I will be uploading it to bt.etree.org (fully public BT tracker) as soon as I get some time.
                    The quality is amazing, I highly suggest downloading the show and cranking it up!!!

Comment

When I saw "Primus Sucks!!!," I was thinking, "Aw, hell, Phempa's gonna get 'em!" Then I saw the thread was by Phempa, I was like, "WTF?"

Comment

Originally posted by wikipedia
                        In 1990 the band released their first studio album, Frizzle Fry, and released singles for "John The Fisherman" and "Too Many Puppies". With a music video featuring Kirk Hammett, a studio album and a tour with Jane's Addiction, Primus' popularity grew to the point where they attracted attention from Interscope Records, who signed them in 1990.

It was during these early years that the catch phrase "Primus Sucks" was started. It began with people constantly stating to the band just how good they were. One day when someone told the band they were good, Les turned around and said "No, we suck" and from then on it stuck.
                        'tis no longer the band's catch phrase, but I use it for nostalgic purpose.

Comment

Yeah, to say "Primus sucks!" is a proclamation of your fanhood!

I caught em way back in... 96 maybe? 95? I dunno. The tour for "Tales From the Punchbowl". Someone hit Claypool's bass with a shoe, and he just walked off stage. He didn't return until the "Primus sucks!" chant reach a full roar. My neighbor, who said he got me tickets (he worked for the promotor), screwed something up. I had to buy tickets from a scalper, and watch from the nosebleed section... while my friends got to be in the pit. The show was still incredible, though.

I have a hard time listening to a lot of Claypool's music, since it's just so... abrasive. But as a bass player myself, I can't deny the incredible talent! The man could have a stroke and still play better than me!

Comment

deev, download this show, and listen to Calling Kyle

here it is at a fully public legal music tracker
                            http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=514487

I urge you all to download!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X