Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

May be selling the cb....looking at the 01-02 TL.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohnD1079
    trannys are under warrante for 8 yrs after from production date or 100k. everything is supposed to be FREE. They will try to rip you off.

Also after 100k all the balljoints and stuff like that start to go out.

yea 100 miles and she had to pay for labor but it was only like 2 or 300$ compared to over 1k.

And balljoints and crap like that go out after 100k on any car so thats not really relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit
      The V6 trannies are prone to failure. I could go into why if you want, but basically, they are not tolerant of neglect. They last much longer if the fluid was changed more frequently than required.

Also, keep in mind that statistically, the failures were widespread, but they did NOT fail on the majority of cars. We had a 2002 Accord V6 and never had any tranny issues of any kind in almost 100K. Of course, the fluid got changed everytime it started to turn brown too, because I was paranoid.

So basically if i find one that happened to be serviced before the required intervals then i should be ok?

With my Accord, i change the oil every 3k whether its a waste or not and every so often i change the tranny fluid and she runs perfect.

Hmmm see thats what i was thinking because the majority of people i talk to haven't had problems but i know that the v6s are prone so that's why im not jumping into this but im 100% positive i want a 01-02 TL the problem is going to be finding one that fits my budget and that is in mint cond with no problems.

If some shit pops off down the road ill be able to fix it and or get it serviced but id like to know what i should be looking for.

Comment

I was letting him in on known problems. Take it as you will.
        Finally Up and Running. Numbers to Follow. Check my MR

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie
          So basically if i find one that happened to be serviced before the required intervals then i should be ok?

With my Accord, i change the oil every 3k whether its a waste or not and every so often i change the tranny fluid and she runs perfect.

Hmmm see thats what i was thinking because the majority of people i talk to haven't had problems but i know that the v6s are prone so that's why im not jumping into this but im 100% positive i want a 01-02 TL the problem is going to be finding one that fits my budget and that is in mint cond with no problems.

If some shit pops off down the road ill be able to fix it and or get it serviced but id like to know what i should be looking for.

Honestly, the whole buying a used car thing makes it a crap shoot. You just don't really know, until it is too late.

Your best defense would be to make sure it was taken care of, or even find one with a recently replaced tranny. The upside is that you still have another year or two to figure it out. The problem manifests itself initially as slipping.
          The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Always assume neglect... and inspect with that in mind. Check for dark fluid. Ask about service records, especially any related to the transmission. Check into the warranty that has been mentioned. If the tranny will be replaced in 8 years or 100k, maybe it'd be a GOOD idea to find one with a tranny problem!

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit
              Honestly, the whole buying a used car thing makes it a crap shoot. You just don't really know, until it is too late.

Your best defense would be to make sure it was taken care of, or even find one with a recently replaced tranny. The upside is that you still have another year or two to figure it out. The problem manifests itself initially as slipping.

Yea your 100% right....i mean it doesn't matter what is written or said unless you rip it apart and inspect.

Well i will definetley keep on the lookout for one with a replaced tranny....thats surely going to narrow down the search some

Thanks Scott!!

Comment

yeah man sell the cb7 time to move on who knows youll love those cars. Hell check out the tl type s if you can get that. They look pretty decent and they run really well.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
                  Always assume neglect... and inspect with that in mind. Check for dark fluid. Ask about service records, especially any related to the transmission. Check into the warranty that has been mentioned. If the tranny will be replaced in 8 years or 100k, maybe it'd be a GOOD idea to find one with a tranny problem!

Thats another good point....finding one with a replaced tranny that goes out on me in 2 months as opposed to one that i can have replaced myself under warranty.

Hmmm yea im pretty strict when i look over a used car....i check everything....and id most likely have a trusted mechanich still check it even if i felt comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by h22sparkle
                    yeah man sell the cb7 time to move on who knows youll love those cars. Hell check out the tl type s if you can get that. They look pretty decent and they run really well.
                    Hey Sparkle lol....

ummmm yea im not moving on, i adore the 4th Gen accords....i just want something different right now and with some more comforts which the cb7 doesnt offer. And as far as modding i have no time or money so keeping the cb7 would be pointless.

When i settle down and have extra money i will surely pick up another cb7.

Comment

Take time to save up for the TL and in the meantime, keep the CB and look into potential probs with the TL's. Call Acura dealerships or look online.

That way, you're saving/keeping the CB, spending more time looking for probs with the TL and the longer you look, the better chance you have of finding the perfect one

And dont go 0102. Get either the newer ones or the Type-S. The ones with the lip kits and red/white tails.

I the second year of production, the Acura TL was given slightly more features, including a 5-speed automatic transmission, with SportShift. The added gear allowed for slightly better fuel economy and acceleration when compared to the previous 4-speed automatic transmission with SportShift. In many vehicles, the 5-speed automatic transmission failed: as the third clutch pack wore, particles blocked off oil passages and prevented the transmission from shifting or holding gears normally. The transmission would slip, fail to shift, or suddenly downshift and make the car come to a screeching halt from expressway speeds. This problem was highlighted in the Los Angeles Times in September 2002. Consumer Reports took note and awarded the TL and CL the black spot, the worst rating for transmission reliability. In response to the recurring problem, the manufacturer extended the warranty covering the transmission to 7 yrs or 100,000 miles on U.S.A. models. A class action lawsuit was settled to extend the transmission warranty for U.S.A. owners or entities but not Canadians to 7.75 years for all 99 to 02 and some 03 by VIN. For details see http://www.hondatransmissionsettlement.com Transmissions replaced prior to March 2005 usually fail again. Transmissions replaced 3/2005 and later include a redesigned third gear clutch pack reported to fix the problem.
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acura_TL#2000 (read from "2000"-on)
                      Also:
                      http://www.hondatransmissionsettlement.com

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
                      Originally posted by Jarrett
                      Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie
                        Thats another good point....finding one with a replaced tranny that goes out on me in 2 months as opposed to one that i can have replaced myself under warranty.

Hmmm yea im pretty strict when i look over a used car....i check everything....and id most likely have a trusted mechanich still check it even if i felt comfortable.
                        If it were me personally, I would also look for proof that they used Honda ATF vs Dex II. Dex II can cause all kinds of issues in Honda trannies, dating back to the beginning. That just has to do with the fact that they don't operate like everyone else's transmissions.
                        The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

ohh ,and btw, you can get the tranny replaced as many times as you want under warantee for free.

I believe the problem was something the the 2nd gear oil squirter, Ford designed the tranny for that model. My parents have a 99 TL, and the car is honestly a great car.

----------------My 92 Honda Accord LX---------------------- My 97 Nissan 240sx LE----

NE GUYS, Buy the last of my accord parts

Comment

There's no car that has no problems with it at all. There is no ULTIMATE SUPER CAR with no problems and all that. Each car has its own issues and problems. Ralphie, if it's the car you want, go for it. Honestly, i like the TL's. My sister drives a '96 2.5TL, it's a gas-eater but it's a nice car. As stated before, my uncle has the '03 type-s, the years that he has owned it, there has been no problems with it at all and it's a salvaged title since he crashed it pretty bad. The body shop who fixed it did a REALLY GREAT job on it. You can never tell that it was in an accident.

The TL is sporty and luxurious IMO and it's quite roomy as well. Just re-badge it as an Accord/Inspire.

CB7 --> EG2 --> ZN6

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG
                              those have the most transmission fail rates, just saying. later.
                              im not sue if that's for the TL, although i did hear that about the 3.0 CL

Comment

Originally posted by trcsbrian
                                im not sue if that's for the TL, although i did hear that about the 3.0 CL
                                Do ppl read anymore???

Originally posted by Me
                                2000. The second year of production, the Acura TL was given slightly more features, including a 5-speed automatic transmission, with SportShift. The added gear allowed for slightly better fuel economy and acceleration when compared to the previous 4-speed automatic transmission with SportShift. In many vehicles, the 5-speed automatic transmission failed: as the third clutch pack wore, particles blocked off oil passages and prevented the transmission from shifting or holding gears normally. The transmission would slip, fail to shift, or suddenly downshift and make the car come to a screeching halt from expressway speeds. This problem was highlighted in the Los Angeles Times in September 2002. Consumer Reports took note and awarded the TL and CL the black spot, the worst rating for transmission reliability. In response to the recurring problem, the manufacturer extended the warranty covering the transmission to 7 yrs or 100,000 miles on U.S.A. models. A class action lawsuit was settled to extend the transmission warranty for U.S.A. owners or entities but not Canadians to 7.75 years for all 99 to 02 and some 03 by VIN. Transmissions replaced prior to March 2005 usually fail again. Transmissions replaced 3/2005 and later include a redesigned third gear clutch pack reported to fix the problem.
                                Its all there.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
                                Originally posted by Jarrett
                                Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Working...
                                X