Title Issues..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Title Issues..

does anyone know ANTYHING about getting a title for a car and whats the proceedures?! The car I have the guy won't give me the title for it and it's pissin' me off because I'm driving with NOTHING and I mean NOTHING. I don't have a title, I have a bill of sale, I don't have tags but I have insurance on the car. What can I do to get the damn title put in my name?! This is really and I do mean REALLY upsetting me!!

Originally posted by Juice21
    thnx pimpette, your car inspired me to go lower
    Originally posted by GameChewer
    Shiit i heard that, you heard the queen!

Wasnt the title supposed to be given in exchange for the money....

The title's the most important part of the deal aside from the car that is....

Comment

I had an issue similar to this when i bought a car, but the guy cleaned up and got me a title for the car.

Every state is different, but if I had to go through the process, you go to the DMV and apply for a lost title. THats one way to go about it. Other way is court, i think you'll have enough evidence to win.

How do you have tags but no title? Are they his tags or yours? Is everything still under his name(registration and plate)? if so he can just call it on stolen, your SOL.

----------------My 92 Honda Accord LX---------------------- My 97 Nissan 240sx LE----

NE GUYS, Buy the last of my accord parts

Comment

She said she don't got tags but has it insured.... Either way you can't do too much of anything without the title.... You need the names and signatures of the previous and new owner on the back of the title to "officially" transfer the ownership of the vehicle.

Comment

several years ago my girl and her dad bought a car for some rinky dink dealership who provided them with temp plate/tags. After trying several times the guy kept giving them new temp tags and said that the title was being transfered and they had to wait(they didnt know better). Long story short, they never got the title, went to the Dmv files some type of report, the Dmv/tag place provided them with more temp tags and they were given a title about 6 weeks later I will try and get more details but i think if you report it to the Dmv they can assist you in getting a title.
          1993 Accord LX - Sold
          93 BMW 525it - SOLD
          92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
          2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
          2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
          2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
          2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
          2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

Wait, so how are you driving it, with your plates from your other car? DO NOT get pulled over. I hope its at least the came type of car ie:another Honda accord, with the same color. If not, you could get into some major trouble.

----------------My 92 Honda Accord LX---------------------- My 97 Nissan 240sx LE----

NE GUYS, Buy the last of my accord parts

Comment

I had this happen with my 240...I bought it then it crapped on me...so I wasn't going to pay $53 for reg. for a car that didn't run. By the time I got 'er up and running I had lost the title.

I think in Tx the original owner has to request a copy...if you can get a copy of their DL then you're good to go...man it's been so long ago I can't fully remember. I know it wasn't that big of a deal once I got a hold of the guy. But pretty sure I had to have his DL
              ____

Comment

do to the DMV and tell them you need to file for a title to an abandoned vehicle.. it will take time but you they will issue a title. From what i understand you have to put the information off the car and post it in the newspaper somewhere for two weeks and if no response then you can take something to the DMV stating that the vehicle was not claimed and that you would like a title. its a lot of paper work but it can be done. Just look into it.

Originally posted by Devergote
                A CB7 with an H22, a clean paintjob, HIDs with a projector retrofit, some nice wheels, and a mild drop on H&R Sport springs and Koni Yellow shocks... that's the perfect car. I'd be happy with that for the rest of my life.

Comment

i called the DMV this morning after this post and they were like he can claim it as a lost title and get another or I can take him to court for refusing to hand over the title to me..

To answer the other question the tags aren't mine haha, their Jacob's ol ladis tags off her coupe she had. All I have is a bill of sale but no title. He won't answer the phone for me or answer my text messages. I don't want to take him to court because he's my friend but damn this is pissin me off seriously! Can I file for a lost title with my bill of sale??

Comment

The title IS the car. Without that, he has your money... and he could legally come take your car whenever he wanted!

I bought a car with no title before... then I moved, and had to leave the car sitting in my old neighbor's yard. One day, it was gone. I bet that guy is driving it to this day! He lost his house while he was "looking" for the title... so I never knew where to find him.

You can claim it as lost, but they'll probably try to contact the guy... and he could claim it. You could claim it as abandoned. Same thing.

Taking him to court, or at least calling the cops, would be best.

Comment

you might be able to take the bill of sale to a licensing place and get it taken care of...

if not you might just have to get the seller to go there with you and transfer ownership i know you can do that... i just did a couple of weeks ago

my ride

Comment

it seems like something is missing from this story.... Why wont he give you the title.

Comment

I would go to the liscensing place and have everything swapped to my name, but he has to be with me and he's in SC now so that won't work lol. As far as him not giving me the title IDK why he won't give it to me.. last I heard his room mate has it and he's in MS where he lives now and his ROOM MATE won't ship it off to me for some dumb ass reason. I don't understand why he can't ship a piece of paper that costs like 10 bucks to overnight it to me

Idk what to do.. I drive the car everyday because its my only transportation. I told him i was driving it and he was like don't drive it because you don't have the title I told him I have to because i have to get to work everyday and that if i get pulled over not only will I be in trouble he will be too for not handing over the title to the car that I rightfully own!

Comment

So why hasn't he given it to you? Have you paid in full? Do you owe him something? If you paid, that title is yours. If you don't have it, you technically don't have the car.

If he's withholding the title for no good reason, he is breaking the law... he stole your money.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
                              So why hasn't he given it to you? Have you paid in full? Do you owe him something? If you paid, that title is yours. If you don't have it, you technically don't have the car.

If he's withholding the title for no good reason, he is breaking the law... he stole your money.
                              The car was given to me as a late birthday present and I had to put the car back together. I've had the car since January and its now March and the cars running now.. about 5 days now and I still don't have the title. He's holding the title from me and won't give me an answer on why except his room mate has it and he's waiting on his room mate to send it to me Technically he did steal my money from everything I had to put into the car to get it running again. The day I got the car I had it towed to my house and sat there til I got everything to get it running again.

Comment

Working...
                              X