Quick question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick question

Hey, what do dealerships look for in a mechanic i am thinking about get a job as a mechanic and i would like to know what you guys would recommend me doing such as courses and training and such. Any input is welcome thanks
    Last edited by Grumpys93; 03-12-2008, 01:50 PM.
    ~Nick~
    FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
    MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Most look for experience and you have to be tool savvy. Flexibility and availability. Yet again other dealership just hire you and put you through schooling.
    "form follows function."
    Louis Sullivan

Comment

If you get hired without and hard experience (backyard mechanic stuff doesn't count) then don't expect to get paid much. You'll be doing oil changes and tire rotations for fairly low pay. Most dealerships will want you to get certified. Most small shops might train you in-shop. The small shops might be your better option. At least then you can get some real experience, which might get you more money at a dealership before you get certified. Once you're certified, you can start making some good money. I know BMW master techs that make over 80k a year.

Comment

You can start as a lube tech for a dealership. Some might train you as you progress but most wont without formal training. Go to a community college and take the automotive courses once you have gotten the degree you will be well trained for most dealerships.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
          If you get hired without and hard experience (backyard mechanic stuff doesn't count) then don't expect to get paid much. You'll be doing oil changes and tire rotations for fairly low pay. Most dealerships will want you to get certified. Most small shops might train you in-shop. The small shops might be your better option. At least then you can get some real experience, which might get you more money at a dealership before you get certified. Once you're certified, you can start making some good money. I know BMW master techs that make over 80k a year.
          damn, only 80k a year? I dunno but for me ive grown to hate working on cars, bc when shit doesnt wanna go, its not fun, and i usually start breaking stuff bc of anger. It sucks major balls when you HAVE to work on you car as opposed to wanting to work on cars.

Ohh, and ASE certificates and UTI diplomas(or something along those initials).

----------------My 92 Honda Accord LX---------------------- My 97 Nissan 240sx LE----

NE GUYS, Buy the last of my accord parts

Comment

ONLY 80k a year? Are you kidding that is a lot especially for a mechanic! Most only make 40-50...if even...which is why I'm no longer a tech.

I went through school for Toyota...during the summer I was lube tech. Lube techs don't get to work on cars...that's not really how you move up...that's like floor cleaners in an office...they don't end up working behind a desk just from being there.

I am ASE master tech cert. and Toyota Expert tech cert...expert tech came with 2years in shop time...ase counted school and work for exp. You can't just take ase's...you have to have shop time exp. And if you go for a dealership then they have their own certs.

If you're just starting out and don't have any schooling or aren't going to...go to a small shop with ASE cert. techs...not tech...techs...you'll be more likely to be allowed to do stuff and you can get exp that way...and exp for the ase's.

You'll need either experience...and TOOLS
            or education...and TOOLS
            or a good word and maybe someone will put you in as an assistant and you'll get all the shit jobs until you get more TOOLS and exp.

Did I mention you'll need your own TOOLS?
            Last edited by bcjammerx; 03-12-2008, 08:58 PM.
            ____

Comment

Ok so what i have learned is certs would help. Start off small and work your way up, and get TOOLS alot of TOOLS. Thanks for your help guys. I was thinking about doing this as a side job. I work with Bank of America right now and got my AA. I am in the process of getting my Bach in Criminal Justice and i wanted a job on the side and my mom told me i should really look into being a part time mechanic so iono we will see
              ~Nick~
              FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
              MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

ask JakFrostWhite he is a tech at a honda dealership

Comment

Working...
                X