Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird laptop problem

Alright, here we go.
    I've got a dell... inspiron 5000 or something. its a p3 1ghz with 128-196mb ram. I just replaced the monitor on it. clean drive ready to put an OS onto.

I start it, put ubuntu or xp on it and it shuts off about 3 minutes into it.
    I start it with knopix and it runs fine
    start it with a memory tester and that runs fine too... atleast these are to the best of my knowledge. I'll have to really test more this weekend (ie run knoppix for a while w/o shut off)

Either way. I replaced the hard drive and it's doing the same thing. I figure it COULD be a cooling thing, but the fans on it are blowing fine.

Not really sure what else would completely kill the power like that. The battery is dead as a doornail so thats no help.

Just wanted to see if anyone had other ideas I could test out.
    Thanks
    My Car
    FREE Web hosting solutions

Originally posted by mchaley
    Alright, here we go.
    I've got a dell... inspiron 5000 or something.
    I found your problem...

It sounds that your hard drive may be corrupt... though if knopix works, then maybe not...

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
      I found your problem...
      Hahaha my thoughts exactly!

Seriously though, I have no idea. I would suggest against getting another Dell, I've never dealt with them (Mac all the way baby), but I've heard bad stories.

Sean-Dinner.com

Comment

I used to fix computers on a semi-regular basis... back when I knew a thing or two. I fixed about 15 in my lifetime... 12 of them were Dells. 3 or 4 were due to hardware failure.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
          I used to fix computers on a semi-regular basis... back when I knew a thing or two. I fixed about 15 in my lifetime... 12 of them were Dells. 3 or 4 were due to hardware failure.
          Same boat, but keep in mind that dell sells TONS of computers. When 75% of the population owns dell, you're bound to get more to fix.

Dell has turned around from what i'm told. Either way.

Thought about bad drive. Tried new and still does the same thing. Knoppix works only because that's an os that can be run from CD.
          My Car

Comment

Ah, ok... that makes sense about knoppix running from CD (I'm not familiar with anything other than Windows... I suck... )

If the drive itself isn't bad, then perhaps the connection between drive and motherboard is shot. I've never removed the hard drive from a laptop, so I'm no expert here... but is the cable/socket/whatever removable? Or does the drive plug into a hard-soldered connection?

Comment

my bro says....

its a power problem. check the capasitors, inspect the motherboard.

also go online and get motherboard drivers. he says it could be the motherboard not conflicting with windows.

also when it starts up on windows and asks you if you want to load any drivers, upload those drivers you get offline and see if it works.

if that doesnt work. i could be a ram problem.
              miss my turbo cb7
              moved onto volvos. dont know how that happened, just did

Comment

I'm thinking it's either a power problem or a BIOS problem. Check for BIOS updates.
                1992 Prelude S w/swapped H22A

Comment

If it was a BIOS problem, wouldn't that prevent it from booting an OS from a CD?

Comment

um you migh want to look at the minimum system requirements for xp and linux. 196mb isnt nearly enough to run the operating system alone especially xp. you might be able to run pocket linux but you going to have to upgrade memory if you can. you needa minimum of like 256 for the operating system alone.

junk it id say..lol

Comment

Originally posted by xfactortype1
                      um you migh want to look at the minimum system requirements for xp and linux. 196mb isnt nearly enough to run the operating system alone especially xp. you might be able to run pocket linux but you going to have to upgrade memory if you can. you needa minimum of like 256 for the operating system alone.

junk it id say..lol
                      minimum to run xp is like 233mhz and 64mb ram.

Could be bios, but... meh.
                      No OS on it. I try installing xp and the drive formats fine. About 1/4th into the sys file copy it shuts off. Could be a power problem... maybe a short somewhere... I REALLY dont want to pull it all apart :P
                      My Car

Comment

boomp
                        My Car

Comment

Working...
                        X