Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Receiving mixed #'s on Delta 272 specs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Receiving mixed #'s on Delta 272 specs

I'll try to make this short and sweet: I talked to John @ Delta yesterday, gave me the specs for the F22a 272 cam: 371/371 lift and 201/201 duration @ 0.050. From other sources, on here and on F22parts I've seen specs like 409/409 lift and 272/272 duration thrown around! On several occasions on here, I've seen posts that label the 272 cam having a 272 duration. Which specs are correct? 201 duration sounds pretty weak, did John give me stock specs?

I couldn't even find the stock a1/a4 or a6 cam specs on here, they were on here, but I read only 1 comment about the stock cam being somewhere around 350 lift and 200 duration; almost the specs of the 272 from Delta. Am I misinformed somehow?

I just seem to be getting all sorts of numbers for the Delta regrinds, not just the 272, the 260/282 also. So much mixed information I've been reading.

272 duration is total. Other spec is at .050" lift.

If that's what the manufacturer says it is, why bother with any other sources?
    2003 Maxima SE Titanium Edition
    Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.
    1993 Suzuki GSX1100F 136bhp

Comment

the higher duration of a cam the higher it is made to make power ?

Comment

To vastly oversimplify, yes. It'll move the power band higher and higher.

However, about the worst thing you can do is overcam a street car. You'll make it slower and you'll hate driving it.
        2003 Maxima SE Titanium Edition
        Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.
        1993 Suzuki GSX1100F 136bhp

Comment

Originally posted by SteveB
          To vastly oversimplify, yes. It'll move the power band higher and higher.

However, about the worst thing you can do is overcam a street car. You'll make it slower and you'll hate driving it.
          fo sho! a 260 is supposed to be best for autos and low reving motors so im right in. , can a 260 be just as agressive as say a 282 at lower rpms?

Comment

272/282/260 are all advertisement numbers. The actual overlap is nothing close to it.

Here are the specs for my 282 regrind

No where on there does it give specs that say 282*.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by SteveB
              272 duration is total. Other spec is at .050" lift.
              If that's what the manufacturer says it is, why bother with any other sources?
              I do understand this now! I just felt really confused and mislead w/ varying lift #'s!!!!

Thank you all for your help, I actually learned some things regarding measured duration at 0.015", 0.050", etc.... I thought I knew the basic minimum of camshafts when I actually did not.

I spoke to John @ Delta again, regarding the 272, the total duration is in fact roughly 272* BUT the advertised duration is 201* @ 0.050" meaning @ the start of the lift area, the valve is open so little, it's inconsequencial to the motor. So therefore, a standard of measure can be 0.050" up from the start of the lift area, where the valve is open much more, thus being consequencial to the motor. From these 2 points (0.050" up from each side of the lobe) the benefitial duration is 201* and there-after is so minimal, it doesn't really count, yet it's still physically there. It's an explanation of what I've learned using my simple terms, you could call it.

JG Engine Dynamics likes to measure duration at 0.015" of lift, so they are way more precise w/ their measurements.

John @ Delta gave me these #'s over the phone today:

272: 201* duration @ 0.050" I/E
              0.371" valve lift I/E

282: 212* duration @ 0.050 I/E
              0.427 valve lift I/E

^I was told 282's will vary some, as D112crzy's 282 is different from above. Also, turbo regrinds would differ also.

Comment

Working...
              X