Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SUSP: Changing Front Brake Rotors (Quick/Dirty Way)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SUSP: Changing Front Brake Rotors (Quick/Dirty Way)

please rate this diy i put alot of work into it

Disclaimer: This is the way that I changed my rotors .... if you choose to follow in my foot steps then i am not responsible for any broken parts, tools, appendages ....
    attempt at your own risk!

Tools Needed :

1.Tire iron
    2.large breaker bar
    3.medium breaker bar
    4. flathead screw driver
    5. 10mm 12spoke wrench(preferably offset)
    6. 36mm socket(same size drive as large breaker bar)
    7. Brake Cleaner
    8. PB Blaster
    9. Set of sockets (10mm-24mm) (6&12 spoke)
    10. Hammer
    11. Jack & Jack Stand
    12 Slide hammer
    13. FWD Axle puller
    14. New Rotors

Items: 6,12, and 13 may be rented at autozone

Step one:

With car on the ground unstake the axle nut

Step Two
    Using the large breaker bar and the 36mm socket loosen the axle nut… it will take a lot of torque so if you cant take it off with the breaker bar try sliding a large pipe over the breaker bar to add length to it (I managed it with a 2-1/2ft breakerbar)….. I had a friend hold the brake pedal down so that I didn’t put to much strain on the tranny

Step Three:
    Jack up the car and support it with stand(s) then remove the wheel

Step Four:
    Now that the car is up in the air completely remove axle nut and loosen the four (14mm) bolts on the front of the rotor but do not remove them(like a 1/4 turn) ….. I had a friend hold the brake pedal down (for the same reason as step two)

Step Five:
    Remove the Brake Caliper …. There are two 17mm bolts behind the rotor that hold it on (depending on how bad your rotor is worn you may have to remove the bottom pin on the caliper to free it from the rotor (just like if you were going to change pads …which you should)…..after it has been removed DO NOT LET IT HANG support it (see pic)

Step Six:
    attach the FWD axle puller two 2 opposing studs and thread the long bolt that it comes with through the hole so that the axle is flush with the rotor
    This will help with the next step

Step Seven:
    On the Back of the rotor assembly you will find four 10mm 12spoke bolts I recommend using a toothbrush to clean them off then spraying them with the pb blaster ….when the pb blaster sets in(wich it will….there on there tight) remove them

(opposite on driver side but still same idea)

Step Eight:

Now that you have removed the four bolts on the back of the assembly ….remove the big bolt from the axle puller and replace it with the slide hammer

Step Nine:

Using the slide hammer remove the rotor and the wheel bearing….sounds complicated but its not..... basically start pounding on the slide hammer that you just attached to pull the rotor out …the bearing will come along with the rotor

Step Ten:

Completely remove the four bolts

Step Eleven:

Now that the bolts are gone slip the rotor off the hub/bearing and install the new rotor

Step Twelve(installation):

Put everything back on … its exactly opposite of removal (don’t forget to torque every thing to specifications) if you run into any problems installing or removeing any thing pm me and i'll be happy to help you out

-xavier

Special thanks go out to alb_accord b/c it was his diy I used to change my rotors…which led me to write this diy
    Last edited by CrazyHondaOwnR; 10-08-2007, 01:09 AM.
    R.I.P. 6-10-07

(\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < )

My Rotor DIY
    I'm not perfect i will make mistakes if i do just point it out to me

nice dude, this is exactly what i wanted.

Comment

thanks... if you need help or if i left somthin out just holla
      Last edited by CrazyHondaOwnR; 11-25-2006, 12:41 AM.
      R.I.P. 6-10-07

(\__/)
      (O.o )
      (> < )

My Rotor DIY

Comment

awesome DIY..... this is how they all should be done

thank you!

Comment

hey bro how hard was it. didn't u finish it all in 2 hours or so. lol
          great pic by the way and very detailed.
          Last edited by alb_accord; 11-25-2006, 02:04 PM.
          are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

Nice DIY --- text and line drawings right on the pix are always good!

FYI it should be "axle".

And here's your Step 6, second pic with reduced contrast and brightened to show better the area you're referring to:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

For the love of god. This is the best DIY on this ever.

Your my hero. Im going to attempt this next weekend.

Thanks son!

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyHondaOwnR
                please rate this diy i put alot of work into it
                Looks really good, nice job!
                1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Phempa
                  awesome DIY..... this is how they all should be done
                  thank you
                  Originally posted by alb_accord
                  hey bro how hard was it. didn't u finish it all in 2 hours or so. lol
                  great pic by the way and very detailed.
                  its really not that hard .....it sorta took 2hours it took me about an extra hour or two to figure out how everything was bolted on and to work the tools .....but that aside it only took 2hrs
                  Originally posted by deckeda
                  Nice DIY --- text and line drawings right on the pix are always good!
                  FYI it should be "axle".
                  And here's your Step 6, second pic with reduced contrast and brightened to show better the area you're referring to
                  thanks.....lol yea i cant spell but i fixed them all (except on the pix ...i'm lazy)....thanks for editing the pic i changed it
                  Originally posted by Maple50175
                  For the love of god. This is the best DIY on this ever.Your my hero. Im going to attempt this next weekend.
                  your welcome ...its not that hard ...about the hardest thing is takeing those 4 pos bolts off the back of the rotor/wheel assembly ....there on there tight and it dose not help that there is no room back there
                  Originally posted by maroonaccord2.2
                  Looks really good, nice job!
                  thanks
                  Last edited by CrazyHondaOwnR; 11-25-2006, 08:44 PM.
                  R.I.P. 6-10-07

(\__/)
                  (O.o )
                  (> < )

My Rotor DIY

Comment

nice write up great pix. thanx mang
                    cant wait till im all done

Comment

Amazing. If every DIY was like this, this forum would be even better!

I think I could finally do my own rotors after reading this... That's something I NEVER wanted to do myself!

Comment

Either way it is still more work than it needs to be. I think the engineers were high when they designed this system. Do any other cars use it?
                        Gary A.K.A. Carter
                        [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

lmao if they were high it would have never gotten done..
                          .............................-----------------93 Ex Coupe[/COLOR]-----------------

My CD7

Comment

when you did this, did the hub and bearing come off as one piece or did they seperate??
                            .............................-----------------93 Ex Coupe[/COLOR]-----------------

My CD7

Comment

Originally posted by 93cb7ExCoupe
                              when you did this, did the hub and bearing come off as one piece or did they seperate??

one peice you take off the four bolts behind the rotor assembly that hold on the bearing that way when you use the slide hammer it comes off in one peice along with the rotor
                              R.I.P. 6-10-07

(\__/)
                              (O.o )
                              (> < )

My Rotor DIY

Comment

Working...
                              X