Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENG: Throttle Position Sensor or TPS removal

Throttle position sensor or tps removal

A member from here requested for this. Since I was doing it anyways I might as well post it here for all of yall.

The throttle position sensor or tps is located at your throttle body if yall didnt know. A common issue with this sensor is that it is always broken. Most common way it breaks is usually during shipment of the item, another ways is it always gets banged up, up against the fire wall of the engine bay when the motor is being taken out or put back in. Other ways are dropping the dam thing, but ne how, you get the idea; it breaks easily!!

Before we get to the DIY section, you might wanna take a look at the screw and washer that holds the TPS down onto the throttle body, that way you have an ideal of what the screw looks like along with the washer; therefor you can do the drilling, filing, hammering, etc with more caution just incase you are taking off a good working one to replace a bad one.

Undrill screw and washer bolting the tps sensor to the throttle body.

This is how the screw looks from the side without the washer.

This is how it looked after I got done drilling the crap out of it!

This is the washer that sits in between the tps and the screw head.

This is how the washer and screw that holds the tps down looks like on the throttle body, only thing is its not drill out like the one in my pix. But you get the idea.

OK, now that is said and done, you get the ideal of how that screw and washer looks and sits in place on the throttle body. OH, and by the way, I will only be showin the top screw most of the time, since the bottom one is the same procedure, no need to waste time and space here for both screw, one is enough!

Lets move on!

I recieve this in the mail broken today, because some idiot took 1 month to ship and did not put any insulation in the box to pack it up and protect it!

Object here is to remove the old tps.

Tool Lists
    1. Rubber mallet, hammer, plastic mallet (whatever you can use for a hammer)
    2. Flat head scredriver
    3. File
    4. Various size drill bits
    5. Power drill

1st off, this is done using more basic and more affordable tools. If you have a dremel, i highly recommend a dremmel, but since most people dont have a dremmel, we will do this the longer way. But for the ones that do have a Dremmel, you would use a bolt cutter disc and just grind down the top surface of the screw head down about 1/8'' and just pry the washer off, it should be no hassle, anyways;!

1. File the surface flat with the file.

2. Once it flat, get a small drill bit and drill it right in the center, try to be very acurate cuss it will make life much more easier, nah, youll see what I mean! I know, my is not all that great in the center but try to put the dam hole in the middle. Drill it a bit way in, maybe like 1/8 of an inch.

3. Once you got it deep enough, move up to a bigger drill bit, bout the size of the diameter of the scew head, not big like the washer, but bout the size of the screw head. LOL, and drill it in.

4. Keep drilling it with the bigger drill until you start to see the space crack of the screw head and the screw thread. Once you gotten that far, you can just give it a little more dilling and stop. Look at the pic, you can start to see the little black space crack of the head of the screw and the threads.

Warning!!!! now you see Y I say try to get it in the middle at the best you can. It makes your life easier. But if you didnt, the crack of space will not be all the way around, so you would have to fiddle with it a bit, dont worry, mine wasnt in the middle!

5. Use the flat head and stickit so that you can hammer it into the back side of the washer to pry it. Like this;

side view

6. Now give the flathead a twist and the washer and whatever is left of the screw head should come off easily. If it didnt then you either didnt drill it deep enough, or you werent in the center enough, in that case, you will have to fiddle with it a bit more to get it to come off. This is how the tb looks without the tps on there and with one screw on there!

You can just unscrew the rest of the tread out. Keep them.

AFter all done, this is the parts, i know, i left out one of the other screw.

Now run to the store and take the thread with you and go find some replace ment screw, bolts, allen head screw or whatever type of bolt or screw you want that has the same threading and is about 1/2" long and your set for sticking on a new tps... Pretty easy huh! Well, if you got problems, just postem! Or pm me!

By the way, I found this out, YOu can use the TA sensor screws, they will fit the tps sensor hole perfectly, so just incase you need some screws and you have a spare manifold just take the ta sensor off and use those screws!
    Last edited by Caution; 09-27-2006, 06:00 AM.

Thanks!

How do you do it with a dremel, just file a notch in the screw and turn? Or do you still have to remove the washer?

Originally posted by lordoja
    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy
      Thanks!

How do you do it with a dremel, just file a notch in the screw and turn? Or do you still have to remove the washer?
      To use the dremel, just grind down the top of the screw head down to the washer and you should be set, you need to go deep enough on the grinding of the screw head, once its deep enough, you basically grinded off the screw head. the rest of the thread can be twisted off with you hand!

Comment

i usually grind the head of the bolt off until it and the washer fall off. other people use a dremel w/ cutting disc to cut a slice in the head and use a flathead to unscrew it. a few times i just smashed out the tps until i could use pliers and take the screws out.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
        Current cars:
        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

I just smashed the fuck out of mine until it came off, then i bought a new one

you should also do a write up on how to set the tps to the correct voltage.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy

I havent ever done that before, but i can if I really wanted to. But somebody already explain that somwhere in one of these forum. But if people as for it plenty enough, I may!

Comment

So what does this actually fix. Like, what happens that you know you need to replace it?

Comment

no no, it dont fix ne thing. This here gives some people an ideal on how to remove the old one due to the fact that its either broken or not working right anymore. It shows some basic steps on how to remove it with more common tools. Did you even read it?? it shows you how to remove your old one wheter its is good or not. Sometimes people need to replace there bad one with one that they have on another throttle body that is good.

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy

Where do you buy new ones? I went around the world looking and I could never find one :mad:

Originally posted by lordoja
                  im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

well, not oem new, but new to my engine

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

you usually cant buy a new tps, you usually gotta take it off a use tb and call it new! The only way you get a new one is buying the whole tb assebly at honda, wich will be a lot!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Caution
                        you usually cant buy a new tps, you usually gotta take it off a use tb and call it new! The only way you get a new one is buying the whole tb assebly at honda, wich will be a lot!!!
                        500 bucks plus! (according to Dobbs Honda of Tucson)

so, anywho..... I threw a code 7 (tps) and need to replace mine.... anyone have one to share?

Comment

So you mean the TPS is held on by headless bolts??? What a dumb design by Honda. They must want people to pay the $500.

My swap thread
                          Main relay proplems?--DIY

Comment

Originally posted by Caution
                            Lookie what I found!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/honda...spagenameZWDVW

Comment

Originally posted by ant96gle

did u over look the 4th word on the description listing, it says "used"

Comment

Working...
                              X