Motor oil for our CB7's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motor oil for our CB7's

Whats the best oil hands down? And what brand does Honda use from the factory?
    My CB For Sale

Originally posted by jtek24
    Whats the best oil hands down? And what brand does Honda use from the factory?
    Please tell me you're kidding.

bobistheoilguy.com
    2003 Maxima SE Titanium Edition
    Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.
    1993 Suzuki GSX1100F 136bhp

Comment

Isn't there are "search" feature here?

The best oil out there, without knowing much about oil grade...is HONDA OEM oil. The manufacturers's oil is hands down the best, or perhaps, hands down, the, "safest."

They(Honda) also sells synthetic oil, but Honda oil does cost a bit more.

IMO, to be safe and have that peace of mind, use Honda genuine oil. I use Castrol GTX startup in my Accord and Castrol Syntec in my Prelude.

From my experience, the oil brand you want to stay away from is Mobil1...that stuff burns sooo much...

There isn't a better, or perhaps a good oil to use. It's user preference, so find what you like, and stick to it.

1990 Accord Lx F22a1(Daily) SOLD - will be missed
      1990 Prelude Si B21a1 (Fun car!)

Comment

YES there is a SEARCH feature here and I do know how to use it! I did search and came up with BS like oil leaks. So if you find a thread please put it up and don't leave smart comments. This is a helping site and not a thrashing one! PLUS everyone has their own opinion...I mean WTF!
        My CB For Sale

Comment

Originally posted by Accord13&BA4
          The best oil out there, without knowing much about oil grade...is HONDA OEM oil. The manufacturers's oil is hands down the best, or perhaps, hands down, the, "safest."
          You don't know their criteria for choosing it. It's not like they make it....they're an end user like we are.
          I'll bet price is a HUGE factor.
          Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveB
            You don't know their criteria for choosing it. It's not like they make it....they're an end user like we are.
            I'll bet price is a HUGE factor.
            This is true.
            But, to a lot of people, having peace of mind really overshadows everything else. My aunt used to go to Honda to get her regular oil changes...i insisted i would do it for her as long as she paid for the oil and filter...but she always went there and paid $30.00 and waited almost all day to get her car back...
            ---she wanted peace of mind, when in all reality i could've done it for her in 15 mins---

I do a lot of oil changes, i service 4 household cars, plus a lot of my friends cars...ive come across a wide range of different oil types. When my friend with a 94 Prelude(not Acclude) started to use Honda OEM oil, he told me it was far better than the the exxon oil he used to use, which costs like 1.80 per Liter lol...
            How he can tell? well, he says there is less carbon buildup on his muffler tailpipe, which in turns means he burns less oil...but that's that...and his opinion...

To the thread starter: okay, here are two(2) brands i suggest you try out...Castrol & Quaker state. If you want, try out that Royal Purple oil...i hear and read that stuff is really good, albeit pricey.

LOL, i was also reading Import Tuner...seems Greddy now makes oil! ..must be expensive as hell...

1990 Accord Lx F22a1(Daily) SOLD - will be missed
            1990 Prelude Si B21a1 (Fun car!)

Comment

Yeah I had been using Castrol in my CB as long as I had the car but I tried Quaker State for the first time and the car ran alot smoother than I ever felt with Castrol. So I know Castrol is good for high temps but is Q as reliable...
              My CB For Sale

Comment

I work at a Honda dealership, all they use is mobil 1. Been using it for a good year and a half now(since I started working thier, free oil changes are the best, lol) and its been good, haven't used anything else so I wouldn't be able to tell you if thiers a difference or not. I used it when I had my old motor(211,xxx miles) and ever since I switched over to my H22 (42,xxx miles) and its been really good on both motors, I would switch over to thier synethic but than I'd have to go to the parts counter and buy it instead of getting it from the pumps located all over the shop.

Comment

OMG, would someone just tell this man what weight to use? I've asked mechanics and seen recommendations at Pep Boys but I never get one answer. What is the best grade of oil to use on our cars?

Originally posted by lordoja
                  im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

I'm using 5w-30 on mines. It all depends on where you live and the kinda climate your gonna run into, He was asking what brand Honda uses so I told him what they use. Can't go wrong with 5w-30 though.

Comment

Originally posted by Accord13&BA4
                      LOL, i was also reading Import Tuner...seems Greddy now makes oil! ..must be expensive as hell...

As if.
                      Think they went out and bought or built a refinery or blending plant?
                      They bought some labels, and had some bottles blown.

Marketing genius, of course.....

Comment

i use 5w30.
                        as far as brand some of the best are, redline, royal purple, mobile 1, castrol. later.
                        Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Been using Mobil 1 10w-30 for about 20k miles (since I bought the car) running 6k between changes with a Wix/Napa Gold/etc filter...don't loose a drop of oil, but also recover a bit from the PCV oil seperator. Gonna start running 3 qts of 5-30 and a qt of 10-40 though. And I visit BITOG a bit, too.

10w-30. 5w-30 if its cold alot. As for best brand...take your pick from the name brands.
                          Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

at the acura dealer i work at they use castrol GTX... 5w30 i think
                            dirty accord->
                            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...threadid=13407
                            crappy website

Comment

noi one uses royal purple?

im gonna swicth to that soon...muhahahah
                              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Working...
                              X