ENG: Internal to external coil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENG: Internal to external coil

This install is only for 90-91 Accords with internal coils and just for the coil and ballast resistor. No aftermarket ignition was used. If you are using one you would simply not use a ballast resistor and connect the coil through the ignition box. This is a simple project and MSD has instructions for almost every step, if you do indeed buy an MSD product. And why wouldn't you.

MSD pdf instructions:
    Modified Cap #8292
    Blaster SS
    Blaster 2

Parts needed:
    Coil - I think the SS is easier to find a place to mount and it includes vibration mounts. But it does not come with the ballast resistor. The Blaster 2 comes with a resistor and you can get it in chrome.
    Wire strippers
    Needle nose pliers
    Wire - 14ga is good, 2 different colors if you want
    Soldering gun and solder
    Couple connections for the 14ga wire to the coil and ballast resistor
    Eletrical tape or heat shrink
    Screwdrivers
    Bracket for Blaster 2 coil, and a few screws or bolts to mount to car
    New Rotor and Dust Cover if you so choose since you'll be pulling both anyways.

And we're off:
    Follow the instructions from MSD. And your Honda manual if you need it. Don't forget which cylinder those spark plug wires ran to! And disconnect the battery!
    You'll be taking off 3 phillips head screws holding the cap down. The third is really hard to get to if you have big hands or little patience.
    Here's what an old cap can look like. Notice the corrosion on the metal points.

Now you need to pull off the rotor. It may really be stuck on like mine was. Oh well, that's why we invented tools, to bust shit up. Hit it with a screwdriver and hammer if need be. Then take off the dust cover.

Then you will remove the coil, which is the black box with the thing that stuck out through the dust cover. These screws might be on hard too. Try not to strip them. The coil itself should have markings + and - Note which wires went where. You're just gonna extend these out of the distributor cap to the resistor and coil. I really couldn't tell the colors. They all looked black or dark green with a yellow stripe. So cut off the connections at the end of these wires and solder on some new wire and leave enough length(2 feet or so) It's a tight space to solder stuff, esp. if you've never soldered stuff before. Picture of coil removed and new extended wires soldered on:

Put the dust cover and (new) rotor back on. Now you can drill a little hole in the cap like I did or possibly run them between the cap gasket. Put the cap on. If you're not using an MSD Igniton decide where you want the resistor and coil to go. Run the + wire to the resistor. And then the other end of the resistor to the + on the coil. Then run the - wire to the - marked on the coil. You will need to cut the coil wire and crimp on a terminal to the wire that should have been included with your cap. Note: this is a pain in the ass. Connect coil to red tower on cap and you're done.
    Last edited by uslspct; 12-09-2010, 08:05 PM.
    Metal Metal and more Metal!!!

How much does your wheel/tire combo weigh? Post here!
    -=Suicide Crew Member #1 (only member so far)=-
    MY RIDE

"I was hoping the Wolverine would finger one of those Japanese girls and then extend a claw into her b hole just for fun, BUT that never happened and I was extremely unsatisfied with the movie because of it." -Macaqueistrong

Whats the advantage to convert Internal to external coil ?

Great achievements result from great effort

Comment

Most would say not much on a stock engine. It's more of a small step before the larger plans come into place.

MY RIDE

"I was hoping the Wolverine would finger one of those Japanese girls and then extend a claw into her b hole just for fun, BUT that never happened and I was extremely unsatisfied with the movie because of it." -Macaqueistrong

Comment

did this make your car any faster at all?
        92 DA9 // 93 D21 4x4 // 92 CB7

Comment

Well with the external coil you can run just about any coil you want. So it doesn't necesarily mean it will automatically be faster, but it will mean that you can put a better coil, which will let you run better plugs and wires. THAT will let you run faster, or idle better. I've been drooling over something like this for a while cause i want to run Bosch plat. 4's and Accel or MSD wires but with the internal coil it's kinda pointless cause the spark isnt' good enough with stock (IMO).
          WTB:
          88-01 prelude 2.0si (3g) si (4g,5g)
          OR
          90-93 Accord.

Has to be 5spd, has to be CHEAP. SUPER CHEAP. Will be in Indiana in February permanently and want a project car when I get settled in.

Comment

thats an awesome right up, i just did all that same stuff the other day and was gunna do this but u beat me to it. and yes there is not much room to work with the wires inside the distributor! and he other hard part was crimping on the connecter for the external coil tower. i installed msd 8.5mm superconductor wires, ngk v-power plugs, msd modified distributor cap, balast resistor, and the ss coil. the idle is a lot smoother even though i had to adjust my idle a little bit, and the gas mileage is better. i noticed a SLIGHT gain in acceleration but not much, once i get the 6a ignition itll be awesome tho! good work!

Check Out My Car

Comment

I just used a cap from a 94 accord. It fits perfictly and is external coil

Comment

hey do you remember which one was positive and which one was negative running to the coil?there both black and yellow on yours... but on mine i have black and green... just wondering

SOLD!

Comment

what about just using a high output OEM replacement..they're more expensive, but would they work as well as external?
                  http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?p=373961#post373961
                  thaz mah Accord baby

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/Theonyxdragon/hunbust.jpg
                  thaz mah man

Comment

Originally posted by g-wagon
                    hey do you remember which one was positive and which one was negative running to the coil?there both black and yellow on yours... but on mine i have black and green... just wondering
                    No. The coil I took out was marked with a + and -

MY RIDE

Comment

Originally posted by Onyx Dragon
                      what about just using a high output OEM replacement..they're more expensive, but would they work as well as external?
                      I suppose. I don't know of who makes those. But if they're more expensive why use it? And this is a small mod that really is only usefull with an ignition box if you need it.

MY RIDE

Comment

can i ask WTF a ballast is?
                        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Just a resistor.
                          "The ballast in a conventional system limits the amount of current drawn by the coil primary during the "dwell time" when the points are closed. If you have an MSD box, though, it will dump the energy from its charged capacitor into the coil primary. Any ballast resistance in series between the MSD and the coil primary will reduce this energy transfer and weaken the spark."

MY RIDE

Comment

finally did mine...the only bitch was mounting the coil somewhere.

My Old Ride Thread

Comment

I need to do this... damn H22 with the internal coil...

Comment

Working...
                              X