ENG: Replacing the rear motor mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENG: Replacing the rear motor mount

The front and rear motor mounts are usually the first to fail. Replacing the rear mount can help smooth out your idle and shifting. Refer to Honda's service bulletin on the procedure.

This is very helpful, however Honda's method may be rather daunting to you. They recommend coming from the bottom. When you have access to a lift, it may actually be easier that way. Most of us do not have a lift though. For them it is worth considering attacking the problem from the top. This requires removing the Intake manifold. That is another procedure itself. Refer to Cokinuts guide on removing/swapping the H23 Intake manifold for that.

His link points to mine as well, so check out both. Once the intake manifold is removed and out of the way we are ready to begin.

Tools needed

-Your average set of wrenchs/sockets, 10/12/14 mm being used most often.
    -A torque wrench is recommended.
    -A set of extensions, preferably wobble-type is recommended.

Time required

Not including the intake manifold time, about 15-30 minutes, depending on users skill.

Step 1: Remove the INTAKE MANIFOLD along with your intake.

Step 2: Disconnect the VACUUM HOSE from the REAR ENGINE MOUNT DIAPHRAGM.

As can be seen here...

Step 3: Remove the three REAR ENGINE MOUNT MOUNTING BOLTS.

As seen here..

And here...

And here...

Step 4: Remove the REAR MOUNT BRACKET STAY between the engine and the transmission. There is one bolt and one nut.

As seen here..

And here...

Step 5: Remove the MAIN REAR ENGINE MOUNT MOUNTING BOLT. Labeled as "MOUNTING BOLT".

As seen here..the bolt there with the X over it is main mounting bolt. You WILL be removing this bolt.

Step 6: Remove the two COOLANT HOSES coming out of the firewall just ahead of the MOTOR MOUNT. They are blocking the mount from being slid out of the mounting bracket. They will leak coolant if the cooling system hasn't been drained.

Step 7: Since those are out of your way you can slide the mount out of its bracket. It may require some effort to take it out since there is limited space available.

Step 8: Install the new REAR ENGINE MOUNT. Torque the bolts as shown.

Step 9: Reinstall all removed parts. Remember to reattach the vacuum hose. Top off your coolant, I lost about 1/2 gallon total.

I found that it is hard to tell if the mount is bad. My old mount felt just as sturdy and rigid as the new one when flexed by hand. Perhaps it is the solenoid that fails. It is different from the front mount where I could tell plainly it was ripped. This new motor mount has worked well. It improved shifting some, but that is the transmission that is more to blame. Idle is much better now, and idle while the AC is on is also much better. I'd say it has improved by more than 50%. I bought my mount on ebay for $30. It is an "OEM replacement" not made by Honda but regardless it's great and the seller was very professional and very communicative. Those with automatic transmissions should definitely consider doing this.

*I edited this post from the original to try to make it easier to read.*
    Last edited by accordaffair; 04-23-2009, 12:32 AM.

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
    where you been, is something wrong?
    i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

question related to the rear motor mount...
    do you know why the autos have a solenoid and the manual's dont? and why are the manuals so damn hard to find? there are none on ebay
    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k
      question related to the rear motor mount...
      do you know why the autos have a solenoid and the manual's dont? and why are the manuals so damn hard to find? there are none on ebay
      ok east tranny info, solenoids are a switch to open a valve in the transaxle shit lets make it easy autos run on fluid pressure to move the gears into place were as a manual relies on you to move them and this is why auto have solenoids to direct the fluid at serton? (SP) rpms hense the term auto-shifting

VTEC I dont need no stinkin Vtec

Comment

The solenoid is used to stiffen and loosen the mount, depending on whether you're moving (naturely less vibration) or sitting still at idle (naturely more vibration). It loosens at idle, and stiffens at speed.

Comment

aight thanks,bump for agreat DIY
          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Do you have to support the engine while doing this? Doesn't the rear mount have weight on it?

Thanks
            2DAO (2 Door Accord Owner)
            JDM H22 DOHC 200/161 2.2L
            My members ride: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=20385

Comment

Only slightly

The weight should be well supported by the other three mounts. I used a large screwdriver to pry it (about 1/8 inch, maybe less) no problem, to get it exactly lined up. So the short answer is no.
              Last edited by accordaffair; 12-11-2005, 01:46 AM.

Comment

I did the h22a swap on my car, I bought the rear mount without the vacuum thing connected to it. Now my car steering wheel vibrates at idle.

What does the motor mount solenoid connect to specifically?(Intake manifold but where on the h22a manifold)

I think I will get the rear mount with the vacuum connected to it. Thanks any help will be appreciated.

CB7 JDM H22a

<br><br>
                R.I.P Accord ---- ---

Comment

The one with the solenoid is for automatics since they idle in gear. The one without if for manuals. I don't know if they can be used either way...I assume they get the signal from the ecu...

The solenoid connects to a vacuum switch on the firewall. I can't recall from memory if that then connects to an open port on the intake manifold but I believe it does. (How else would it get vacuum?)

Comment

Originally posted by accordaffair
                    ... I can't recall from memory if that then connects to an open port on the intake manifold but I believe it does. (How else would it get vacuum?)
                    Page 2 of Honda's PDF above (on the right side of the page) seems to indicate that is indeed manifold vacuum that's applied to the solenoid.
                    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

The one with the solenoid is for automatics since they idle in gear. The one without if for manuals. I don't know if they can be used either way...I assume they get the signal from the ecu...

The solenoid connects to a vacuum switch on the firewall. I can't recall from memory if that then connects to an open port on the intake manifold but I believe it does. (How else would it get vacuum?)

Do you see #38 in the diagram? Where does that hose go to specifically on the H22a manifold?? I tried to search everywhere but can't find a thing.

CB7 JDM H22a

<br><br>
                      R.I.P Accord ---- ---

Comment

I believe that will go to an open nipple on the intake manifold.

Comment

I believe that will go to an open nipple on the intake manifold.
                          Do you know which one?

CB7 JDM H22a

<br><br>
                          R.I.P Accord ---- ---

Comment

Any one, they are all serving the same purpose. I believe you can use the ones by the TB as well. The a6 mani has about 4 on the right side of the plenum and 3 at the TB I think. Yeah any port is fine they are all going to the plenum and recieving the exact same vacuum/pressure. Sorry I didn't know you posted, I just now saw it. If you don't have an open port, I would make a "T" junction and leech off an already used port.
                            Last edited by accordaffair; 01-13-2006, 09:24 PM.

Comment

i want to bumo this thread cause i saw a couple of threads made about this same problem

CLICK ON SIG FOR MEMBERS RIDE
                              "2SIIC"
                              Authentic Jerseys for sale
                              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=188314

Comment

Working...
                              X