Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Coilover adjusting collars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coilover adjusting collars

I have function and Form type 2's on my 1990 coupe. Recently I posted in my build thread that I'd removed one collar from the rear coilovers in order to go lower with ride height. A fellow member informed me that now since removing the collar my struts would wear at a faster rate and could blow sooner than later. This is confusing to me because I have not adjusted the actual spring at all, only the lower mount position. The spring is still fully pre-loaded and since the lower mount is independent of the piston and gas chamber piston travel should be the same as it was before correct? The only thing in my eyes that has changed is the overall length of the entire assembly. I can see that happening with coilovers where the height isn't adjusted independently of spring pre-load, but not with mine. So I'd like to get everyones opinion.

I wish I could trade my heart for an extra liver, just so I can drink more and care less.

You removed them?
    That is how you set ride height with FFs...
    If you removed them, you are sitting with the threads all down in the strut mount- and nothing supporting it.

Why did you not set them at the lowest setting so you don't destroy your $700+ suspension??
    Project wagon! Much excite! 2018!

That Sedan. Purchased '07-->Swap'd-->Tuck'd-->Wreck'd-->May '16

Comment

only the lower, thickest collar was removed, the other two (i guess they would be the spring perch) are still there. The only thing I've done is removed the very bottom collar. So I've moved the whole assembly lower into the mount.

I wish I could trade my heart for an extra liver, just so I can drink more and care less.

Comment

Ok, then. Well, its your ride.

You are going to destroy them that way. Are you sure you were adjusting them properly?

Comment

100% sure. I will make a diagram in paint (though i must warn you my paint skills are.....mediocre at best) Maybe it will help explain things more clearly.

Comment

You should never remove any part of your coilovers. You will most certainly blow the shocks that way, and it will be incredibly dangerous. Those coilovers are capable of seriously slamming your car... how low are you trying to go? I don't imagine ANY suspension could possibly be safe (or even remotely practical) beyond the lowest point of F&Fs...

Comment

Lol, I just drew one, and took a pic.
              So, like this, then?

Comment

Ok, the the strut gas chamber and piston assembly is seperate from the lower mount. In the drawing (told you it'd be crude hahaha) You can see there is empty space between the bottom of the actual strut, and the bottom of the lower mount tube. This is completely empty space, the piston does not travel here, and there is no gas charge here. By removing the collar, it allows the whole entire strut to sink lower into the mount, descreasing the amount of empty, non gas charged space. I would think (I just may be wrong here) That since the spring is at the same pre-load as before, and is at the same position on the actual strut as it was before, that no travel would be lost.

Comment

My car is pretty low if you haven't seen my build thread. It was already dropped as low as the FnF's would let me go. It's lower than most people like and some would im sure consider it "un-safe" But that's not really what this is about.

Comment

Jesus, man....
                    How low you need to be?
                    If you wanna ride that way, as I said before- its your ride, and your money spent.

Comment

You asked for opinions. I'd rather not see you crash your car because you thoroughly compromised your suspension. I'd also prefer that MY site isn't where you got the information to make your car even more dangerous... especially if you lose control and kill someone. I could potentially be held liable to some extent... so yes, that IS what this is about.

If you want to go lower, extend your top mounts. That will make the car sit lower, while retaining proper strut piston travel.

Comment

I'm happy and thanks for the opinions. I do not believe my car is any more dangerous than it was before. Extended top hats would only allow the piston to have more travel and wouldn't lower the car without shorter springs.

Comment

You already seem to have devised a way to make the spring sit lower... I was just suggesting a method of actually maintaining a functional suspension in the process.
                          You could always contact a spring manufacturer, such as Eibach, and have some custom length springs made. You'd also likely need custom valved shocks.

Comment

I took a collar out of the front and they seem to be fine I left all of them in the rear because it went low enough. and to remove the rear your trying to ride on the ground? Im on type 2's also.

STANCE|WORKS

Comment

The front of mine bottomed out in the mount before I had to remove any collars. The back I removed the one collar. Your on 15in wheels right? what size tire? Mine are 16's with 195/50/16 tires. That may be why the difference in our suspensions as far as height off the ground goes.

Comment

Working...
                              X