Need some info on wheel bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some info on wheel bearings

I recently bought a 93 Accord and completely rebuilt the entire suspension front and rear. I installed new wheel bearings in the front along with new wheel studs.

I got the car legal yesterday and drove it a little and put about 125 miles on it. It was the first time ive ever drove it.

Today I checked my passenger side front wheel and it had alot of play in it. So i removed the wheel and of course the new wheel bearing is shot.

I used Precision wheel bearings.

Am i installing them wrong or what? The rubber seal faces the hub and i ran them down just enough to touch the hub so dirt/dust cant get in. Is that right?

I could of sworn they had to be pressed in. Hitting them in might be damaging them.

Comment

Originally posted by andrew22888 View Post
      I could of sworn they had to be pressed in. Hitting them in might be damaging them.
      My dad has worked for Oreillys at the warehouse in Springfield for 15 years. He works in the maintenance dept. That gives me special privileges. I send what ever i need pressed in or out to work with my dad and he uses the press at his work on them.

So i did press them in and out. I told him to press them down until the rubber ring touches the hub. I just dont know if thats right or not. Ive had this happen before on my 91 EX. The second bearing i put in it is still fine but the first one did the same thing this one did.

Comment

thats right but if you don't support the inner race while pressing in the hub, you can fuck up the bearing.
        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
          thats right but if you don't support the inner race while pressing in the hub, you can fuck up the bearing.
          The piece of steel used to push the bearing down onto the hub covers the whole bearing. So it should hold everything in place pretty good. Shouldnt it?

Comment

you need to support the inner race on the other side of the hub, not the whole bearing.
            I <3 G60.

Comment

How would i do that? what if i just pushed on the inner race of the bearing and pushed the bearing onto the hub like that? I do see what you are saying and maybe thats what caused it to fail so quickly.
              Last edited by H311RA151N; 07-27-2012, 01:33 PM.

Comment

to install the hub into the spindle, you need to press on the outer race...

then to pres the hub into the bearing, support the inner race on the other side while you press on the hub. i can't really describe it but if you press the bearing in and there's still play then you did it wrong or the bearing is junk.

honestly, my car's get nothing but timken bearings
                I <3 G60.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                  to install the hub into the spindle, you need to press on the outer race...

then to pres the hub into the bearing, support the inner race on the other side while you press on the hub. i can't really describe it but if you press the bearing in and there's still play then you did it wrong or the bearing is junk.

honestly, my car's get nothing but timken bearings
                  I got it! Thank you for taking the time to explain it to me. I will remember this method.

Comment

I was thinking Timken bearings were going to be expensive.

http://www.*********.com/catalog/199..._assembly.html

I found out the wheel bearings were put in right. I think maybe when i was testing out my new suspension setup i wiped both front wheel bearings out. Today i noticed the driver side front is screwed up too.

I was cornering about 85% of what i thought the car will do. Around curves that are posted 40mph, that i can normally take at 55mph in my other Accord, i was taking at 65-70mph.

So these Timken bearings, will they hold up to this kind of abuse or not?

Comment

....cornering at 70mph....

SOUNDS HELLA' FUN!!! i want a run at that turn.
                      RIP 4/23/12...lets not forget, the 88" Z31 turbo, are my dailys

Comment

Originally posted by jewelproject View Post
                        ....cornering at 70mph....

SOUNDS HELLA' FUN!!! i want a run at that turn.
                        lmao it was! When i came out of the first turn like i normally would i bet i had a shit eatin grin on my face. I knew it could do alot more than i originaly thought at that point. Then i started bangin the shit out of every corner after that. 3rd gear, about 55mph going in, lay the pedal to the floor and exit the corner at 70 or a little over. It was the most fun ive had since my RX7 was running.

But now my wheel bearing are screwed.

I went ahead and ordered the Timkens from *********. Idk when they will be here. Should be about wendsday (i hope.) Then its off to walmart to get a new passenger side rear tire. I want all matching tires and they are the only ones around here who sell Goodyear Viva 2 tires. Then its off to get an alignment. Its like 1.5 miles down the road from walmart so i hope it dosent shread the new tire between walmart and the alignment shop.

Comment

don't forget that you can have a defect in the bearings too

good luck with the second set
                          http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by bobbycos View Post
                            don't forget that you can have a defect in the bearings too

good luck with the second set
                            Thanks bud!

Im taking them both back to Oreillys and geting my money back. With my dads discount they are $35 each. And i spent $72 with shipping from ********* earlier today. I thought about the bearings being defective and i think it might be possible. Eather way if these Timkens are what wed3k says they are then i will only be using these from now on on both my CBs.

Comment

Originally posted by SWMO View Post
                              Thanks bud!

Im taking them both back to Oreillys and geting my money back. With my dads discount they are $35 each. And i spent $72 with shipping from ********* earlier today. I thought about the bearings being defective and i think it might be possible. Eather way if these Timkens are what wed3k says they are then i will only be using these from now on on both my CBs.
                              Timkens are good along with Bower/BCA/National (all one company)
                              http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X