To those running Spectre air filters...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To those running Spectre air filters...

Well...don't. Get rid of it. It's trash.

I just got results back from my oil analysis, and my silicon is through the frickin' roof. For those of you who don't know, silicon is an indictator of poor filtration. This lead to some pretty serious wear levels for this oil change. I was on an 8,500 mile interval with a K&N Oil filter and Royal Purple.

I will be ditching the Spectre filter for the stock setup ASAP.

Last edited by foamypirate; 10-25-2010, 10:04 PM.
    Originally posted by sweet91accord
    if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

it would be interesting to see how a k&n would do in oil analsys

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=187851
    sold to: cb7rush\h22-accord\Luis\BurtonRiderT6
    bought from:jokerxfn-tommi-'93cb7ex

Comment

everything with the exception of Boron, Calcium and Zinc went UP. That's not good.

member's ride thread
      93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
      99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
      91 Accord SE 176k
      97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

fuuuuuuuck....I have yet to send in my report. I am going to be going back to the OEM as well.

Originally posted by 904drACCORDMANG View Post
        it would be interesting to see how a k&n would do in oil analsys
        both are oiled cotton gauze filters...it should not do much better.

The oem style is the best at filtration. K&n...despite the hype...are actually shitty at filtering out anything in relation
        Last edited by bcjammerx; 10-26-2010, 06:15 AM.
        ____

Comment

Yikes. I changed out my K&N out for the Spectre one couple months ago...changing back now.

Yes my name is Dang, Don't use in vain
          1992 Honda Accord EX (Coupe/Bordeaux/Auto)
          1992 Honda Accord EX (Coupe/Bordeaux/H22A MT)
          2008 Honda Accord EXL (Coupe/SanMarino/6spd)

Comment

seems spectre is just more marketing hype on an old cotton filter. Do you have another uoa with the same setup but different filter? otherwise its impossible to draw conclusions to the air filter being the source.

do you have TBN or Visc #s? Also, its possible silicon is used as an anti foam
            Last edited by starchland; 10-26-2010, 08:42 AM.

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
            "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
            "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

K&N is only a little better than Spectre, judging from my oil analysis. The only high flow filter I've found to also filter well is the Apexi Power series dry filter......awesome filter but you can't clean it, have to replace it every few oil changes.
              My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

it comes down to, u get what you pay for...
                <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

is there a uoa thread on this site? if not would be nice to see one

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
                  "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
                  "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

God i would have to see what the spectre stainless steel mesh filter wolf do, you would probably do just as good wrapping mesh screen over you sri or cai. lol

92 LX N/A rust bucket restoration RIP
                    91 DX Coupe to 9293 EX Coupe restoration
                    funds for swap:$000.00
                    Bought from:HondaFan81=My current CB7 DD ,CB7_Sleeper1 Koochologist Tommi mtnbikkerkid33
                    Traded with: Wed3k

Comment

I will stick with my AEM Dryflo. Seems to work good, although maybe I should get an oil analysis just to see how i does.

Originally posted by HardInThePaint
                      WTF, thats like placing the cheese underneath the beef patty and calling it a burgercheese. Regardless of how u slice it the shit is a cheeseburger.

Comment

shit, I wasn't expecting such a difference.

I'm really going to miss that intake snarl!
                        Original-Owner 1991 Honda Accord
                        2005 Acura TSX 6MT
                        2010 Mazda Miata Grand Touring

Comment

Originally posted by starchland View Post
                          seems spectre is just more marketing hype on an old cotton filter. Do you have another uoa with the same setup but different filter? otherwise its impossible to draw conclusions to the air filter being the source.

do you have TBN or Visc #s? Also, its possible silicon is used as an anti foam
                          The TBN was at 3.0, SUS Viscosity @ 210F was 57.6, cSt Viscosity @100C was 9.52.
                          Originally posted by sweet91accord
                          if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

I don't even know who makes my cone filter, probably is a spectre.

Comment

Originally posted by 19dabeast85 View Post
                              K&N is only a little better than Spectre, judging from my oil analysis. The only high flow filter I've found to also filter well is the Apexi Power series dry filter......awesome filter but you can't clean it, have to replace it every few oil changes.
                              Pretty sure those are the ONLY ones worth the money...expensive but from what I found (well online anyway) of tests folks did themselves the apexi power filters do very well.

I need to get one of them suckers
                              ____

Comment

Working...
                              X