Swap help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swap help

What's up guys! In the next few weeks I'll be getting a new motor & tranny to drop in since my F22a1 has over 252,000 miles on it. My plan is to hold onto the a1, tear it down and rebuild it with a possible turbo which I'm gonna take my time doing. On to the new motor, I have a few different choices that I'm trying to decide on right now...
    JDM F22a
    H22a
    F20b
    H23a
    Prices on them aren't too far apart from one another but which ever one I get I'll also need to get the tranny to go with it. I could rebuild my current tranny but I figure that since I'm getting a new motor it would only make sense to get a new tranny too. Anyways, the 2 reasons for this thread are this...
    1. Which motor/tranny combo to go with?
    2. Are there any of you guys close by that have swapped before that can help me swap mine?
    The shop that I occasionally let work on my CB7 said they will only charge me $300 for a swap install, but I would really like to be able to do it myself if possible for the experience/knowledge. If there are any of you out there that can help with any of this please hit me up. Thanks.
    Still hustlin that Old Skool.......it never ends.

vv My Member's Ride Thread vv
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=123371

Anybody?

Comment

Dude if you can find it, and willing to pay the price. A DOHC F20B would be awesome, it would deff be one of those rare swaps that hardly anyone has. Ethier that or the H23, which is what i plan on doing. Also if you need help I'll help.

86 4Runner - 22RE 5spd, 4" Lift, 35x12.5R15 BFG Km2's, 4.10 gears
      "The Turtle"
      DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

Originally posted by 93F22A6 View Post
        Dude if you can find it, and willing to pay the price. A DOHC F20B would be awesome, it would deff be one of those rare swaps that hardly anyone has. Ethier that or the H23, which is what i plan on doing. Also if you need help I'll help.

Right on man, if you can help with mine I'll do what I can to help with yours. Found this on tigerjapanese....http://www.tigerjapanese.com/index.p...mart&Itemid=26. That's one of my choices, not sure which tranny to put with it though?

Comment

If the H22 tranny will bolt up to it, that one would be a good choice. Esp one with a LSD. I think the F20B would be better though, considering it was designed for it, unless the gear ratios are the same. The only thing about that ebgine is that it's OBDII.

"The Turtle"
          DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

If the H22 tranny will bolt up to it, that one would be a good choice. Esp one with a LSD. I think the F20B would be better though, considering it was designed for it, unless the gear ratios are the same. The only thing about that ebgine is that it's OBDII.
            Yeah, I think that I'm gonna remove the F20b from the shopping list. After talking to Shadow I'm heavily leaning towards getting the JDM F22a and throwing a turbo on it. It's a complete direct replacement for what I have now plus it's a little stronger from the get go since I have a F22a1 right now and the JDM F22a is equivalant to the F22a6. Boosted it will beat a stock H22 and I don't have to get a new header etc. to do it. Money saved!

Comment

Yeah boost would be nice I say that would prob be the best power or the money.

"The Turtle"
              DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

Any word on the swao yet man? I'm actually thinking of going boost only with a H23 swap instead of the F22. Anyways keep us updated on the plans.

"The Turtle"
                DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

Any word on the swao yet man? I'm actually thinking of going boost only with a H23 swap instead of the F22. Anyways keep us updated on the plans.
                  Just got my 2nd W2 that I needed to file my taxes so I'm gonna get to it tonight probably, hopefully. Anyways, I do have a couple different ideas that I've been sitting on recently...

Get a new F22A and boost it w/F22 tranny or H22 tranny

Get a F22B DOHC and boost it w/F22 tranny or H22 tranny

Get an H22A and build on it w/F22 tranny or H22 tranny

Rebuild the F22A that I already have

I'm not gonna make a final decision as to what I'm gonna do until I know what kind of $ I'll have to work with. I'm really stuck between the F22A and the H22A right now..... Also need to know if ANYONE is down to help me do this swap so I don't have to take my car and leave it at the shop for a couple days, plus pay $300+ for the install. I totally want to do this swap myself and what I do somewhat depends on if I do it or if the shop does it.

Comment

If you want we can do the swap at my house. You could come down here one weekend and get it knocked out. I have everything except for an engine lift but I have access to one from a friend so that will not be a problem. So if you want help I know between me and you we can swap the engine out in a day. Also if we need help my dad was a mechanic. Then after we get the engne installed get it ready for boost.

"The Turtle"
                    DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

If you want we can do the swap at my house. You could come down here one weekend and get it knocked out. I have everything except for an engine lift but I have access to one from a friend so that will not be a problem. So if you want help I know between me and you we can swap the engine out in a day. Also if we need help my dad was a mechanic. Then after we get the engne installed get it ready for boost.

Sounds cool, but I would have to get my new motor sent to your place instead of mine if we did that since I probably wouldn't have a way to transport it. I'm down though.

Comment

if i wasn't having car issues of my own i would so be there

Originally posted by Juice21
                        thnx pimpette, your car inspired me to go lower
                        Originally posted by GameChewer
                        Shiit i heard that, you heard the queen!

Comment

Originally posted by breeziebabyyy View Post
                          if i wasn't having car issues of my own i would so be there
                          It's all good, what's up w/your's? If you know anyone that might be down to help let me know, the more help the better.

Comment

Originally posted by sideswipe View Post
                            It's all good, what's up w/your's? If you know anyone that might be down to help let me know, the more help the better.
                            I got cha bro mine is just being a bitch so it's a man down situation right now

Originally posted by Juice21
                            thnx pimpette, your car inspired me to go lower
                            Originally posted by GameChewer
                            Shiit i heard that, you heard the queen!

Comment

Originally posted by breeziebabyyy View Post
                              I got cha bro mine is just being a bitch so it's a man down situation right now
                              I hear ya, I'm trying to file my taxes right now so I can find out what kind of funds I'll have for my shopping spree! I've got a list of for sure stuff already but some other things may be iffy.

Comment

Working...
                              X