Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Cai or short ram?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cai or short ram?

Im living in a small town, i heard tha it's better a short ram, it's true and why?
    Razer.-

Rev rev rev

Short ram all the way.

I lost my F22 due to hydrolocking it with my cold air intake.

I don't have any problems with my short ram intake, I've had about 4-5 friends lose their engines to hydrolocking them. Some were built H22's too.
    Adam - Retired OG member from '03
    2010 Lexus IS-F : Starfire Pearl
    2009 Yamaha R1 Raven : Black on Black
    2002 Lexus IS300 : Crystal White Pearl / Black Leather

.. i HAD more shaved on my accord than your girl does on her entire body..

Comment

You don't know before you leave your place that you're going to slide into a flooded part of a road. There isn't much you can do once it happens.. I can't just hit a switch and make my car float on top of the stuff.

I had my cold air intake on there for 2 years and it was fine, but why spend the more money on a cold air when for many reasons it's not better.

1) Cold air intake = more piping to flow through
      2) Short Ram = less piping to travel
      2) Cold air = more expensive.

Comment

cai= fresh cold air
        ram= warm engine air

ram- better throttle response
        cai= better top end

Comment

i have been in serious rain (driving) and still have not drove through more than a big puddle. and i would def notice a 1' pond when driving i would turn right around and find another way especially if my car was dropped,thats why you learn 3 point turn in driving school, secondly if its a one way i would still turn around.there really is no reason to drive through such deep water.lol worse comes to worse i would bust out a flathead and take the intake right off the throttle body to get through the water,less chance of water getting all the way up there.

Comment

..i lost 2 motors, a built A6, and a F22b..had cai both times. but i don't blame it on the cai, it was my decision to drive thru, or thought that i could. even with my new H22, i'm still gonna keep my AEM cai
            you can always buy another motor anyways
            5.6L V8 32V DOHC
            JDM HERITAGE - US BUILT

Comment

i would rather not blue a motor due to a $70 piece of metal piping. i'm not worried about the 1 HP or 2 HP that i would be getting from the cold air intake.

i don't feel like being worried when i am driving that i could lose my engine how i did the first time. it was raining, which you should be able to drive a car in the rain, and it was raining so hard i didn't see the side of the road that was flooded and i slammed into it. i'm not saying it's the cold air intakes fault, because i could have driven my daily driver that night but i didn't.

id rather have a short ram reguardless, because less worrying and i'm not that picky about a few HP's.

Comment

but doesnt a bypass on a cai prevent hydrolocking??? if so y not use one???

My Ride

Comment

yes it does but it takes away hp.lol well thats what i here. so people risk not buying one.

Comment

but how much can it possibly kill??? 1-2hp

My Ride

Comment

first off most gains likely out of a cai is 1-3 hp to the wheels, so i have heard a bypass taking 2 away so it leaves you with no gains or 1 hp at most. so basiaclly its a waste. if i were to run a cai i would run the 2 piece design and when it rains or snows remove the lower tube and have it as a reguler intake.

Comment

yeah thats what i was thinking, or u can also cover the bypass with something and then remove it when u need to use it.

My Ride

Comment

well having the bypass in there in the first place is what takes away and hp that is gained. so the 2 piece is best you dont need a bypass and you just take off the down tube, takes 5mins.

Comment

thats what ive always told everyone, get the 2piece. and im sure it has alot to due with the fact that i was tuned with the cai, but when i went to the shortram, i noticed a big drop im mid-high pull... it just felt downright slow.

Comment

really? so you did feel a noticeable differance with the cai? i am looking for a used one might resort to ebay soon and throw on a nice k&n filter.

Comment

Working...
                              X