cp[mike] : 1999 Honda CR-V EX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jdm_inspired View Post
    I've been going back and forth with purchasing this exact chassis and selling my 2011 accord coupe. It's more practical I suppose, and has tons more use. Plus I'm trying to stack up for a house so it would help me shave off the car note.

How do you like it so far? MPGs vs the CB?
    To be honest with all of the constant changes, it was hard to keep track of the mileage. Last summer I was getting high 20's, but I live in a different altitude now, with a different motor, etc. I am going to be keeping track of it again from now on, but the winter and my lots of short trips kills the accuracy. I will be making a trip from CO to NY next week, so I should be able to get a pretty good Highway mileage. It is meticulously assembled with the MSD ignition so I'm hoping it should be pretty high.

CRV I find to be very practical. Can fit a lot of stuff inside, and it is very cheap and easy to work on! Don't even need to jack it up to get underneath it to work, so road-side issues are painless to deal with. I learned that it is capable of pulling another car's worth of weight, so I will likely be able to use it to pull the Accord if necessary (for example, to a paint booth, or something). It is also very cheap for insurance, basic bottom-end Geico coverage was quoted to me at $25 a month (liability, of course). A whole year can be paid in advance without hardly feeling it!

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
    awesome work! any plans for LS vtec down the road? heh. Thatd rock!
    Originally posted by cb9love View Post
    no way man! this is a total h2b waiting to happen.
    I actually very seriously looked into both options. Soon after I got it, I came across an extra H22, that I really wanted to put into it - unfortunately the CRV is unique in enough ways that a normal H2B becomes extra costly (they don't make an exhaust that fits around the extra large transmission, etc). It would have been too costly, and too much work/fabrication. I would also be concerned with reliability - I want to be able to trust it completely, as it pretty much is the only car I use.

Then, when the original B20 died, I searched around for B18 options - again, entirely too cost prohibitive for a daily driver. Someday if I came across a VTEC head I would consider putting it on, but again, I feel the mod would be undercutting the reliability aspect, without really a huge gain for any real reason. This is just my daily... the CB is the one I should focus my power-boosting efforts on

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
      To be honest with all of the constant changes, it was hard to keep track of the mileage. Last summer I was getting high 20's, but I live in a different altitude now, with a different motor, etc. I am going to be keeping track of it again from now on, but the winter and my lots of short trips kills the accuracy. I will be making a trip from CO to NY next week, so I should be able to get a pretty good Highway mileage. It is meticulously assembled with the MSD ignition so I'm hoping it should be pretty high.

CRV I find to be very practical. Can fit a lot of stuff inside, and it is very cheap and easy to work on! Don't even need to jack it up to get underneath it to work, so road-side issues are painless to deal with. I learned that it is capable of pulling another car's worth of weight, so I will likely be able to use it to pull the Accord if necessary (for example, to a paint booth, or something). It is also very cheap for insurance, basic bottom-end Geico coverage was quoted to me at $25 a month (liability, of course). A whole year can be paid in advance without hardly feeling it!

I actually very seriously looked into both options. Soon after I got it, I came across an extra H22, that I really wanted to put into it - unfortunately the CRV is unique in enough ways that a normal H2B becomes extra costly (they don't make an exhaust that fits around the extra large transmission, etc). It would have been too costly, and too much work/fabrication. I would also be concerned with reliability - I want to be able to trust it completely, as it pretty much is the only car I use.

Then, when the original B20 died, I searched around for B18 options - again, entirely too cost prohibitive for a daily driver. Someday if I came across a VTEC head I would consider putting it on, but again, I feel the mod would be undercutting the reliability aspect, without really a huge gain for any real reason. This is just my daily... the CB is the one I should focus my power-boosting efforts on
      I will look further into it then. I would love to have a car that can pull the CB around. There are a few manual CR-Vs around here most of which are AWD. I do like my 2011 coupe but I'm looking for something different.

Follow me on IG: @jdm_inspired

93 'til infinity

Comment

wow, what a difference with those emissions repairs lol.

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
        01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
        93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
        93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

So I ended up driving this car from CO back to NY, to visit my family/friends for the holidays (and my birthday). Made the trek back without any issues.

While I was at my parents house, I had the opportunity to finally go through the last of my belongings that I had left there. I thought I would be able to fit them inside the car, but realized that wasn't going to happen. Ended up renting a SECOND u-haul trailer for my trip back west:

This was a smaller trailer and it wasn't nearly as full, but it still exceeded the recommended towing weight for the car. This time I was pulling 2500 lbs, and still did pretty well!

Gas mileage was as follows (good thing it was so cheap recently!)
          Driving regular: 23mpg
          Towing 2500lbs: 15mpg
          Towing 4200lbs: 10mpg

On the first day into my 3-day road trip back west, my front driver brake caliper (recently installed reman unit) started leaking fluid:

I kept checking it and adding fluid, and it made it the rest of the way without any issue. I've since warrantied the caliper and the new one is installed and doing well so far.

Otherwise no other new stuff with the car, besides this nice finishing touch (spare tire cover):

Current cars:

Comment

Those economy figures are surprising given the fact that this is a manual transmission towing a load at mostly constant highway speeds. It sounds like this thing needs an F/H-series swap to handle all of this towing. I kid, I kid.
            My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
              Those economy figures are surprising given the fact that this is a manual transmission towing a load at mostly constant highway speeds. It sounds like this thing needs an F/H-series swap to handle all of this towing. I kid, I kid.
              Yeah, they are pretty sad, but the conditions were actually worse than you'd expect. I thought the same thing until I realized the majority of the trip west is winding hills (PA) and then LONG gradual uphill the WHOLE way. On my first, extra-heavy tow, I actually was driving in 4th most of the way, and needing to downshift to 3rd for every incline. This recent tow, I was able to leave it in 5th, and use 4th for just the inclines. And the entire way was VERY VERY windy, and was having serious tune issues (melted cat, 2 bad O2 sensors) lol. Now that I am here everything has been short-trip city driving.

With the emissions stuff all replaced, compression is checked, a bit of a refresh, and an upcoming redo/cleaning-up the ignition system... I am hoping that it will produce its top numbers ever, during this spring/summer.

Current cars:

Comment

4200 lbs of weight, plus 3400 vehicle weight = 7600 gross
                That's funny, you passed by where I live. I'm 15 mins away from Oak Grove MO.
                For Sale Thread CLICK HERE!

1991 CB9 EX Wagon

1990 CB7 EX Sedan

1997 RA1 LX Wagon

CB7Tuner Discord CLICK ME! -- http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...02#post3285402

Comment

So no new pictures, but I wanted to give an update on this car.

It's been treating me well, it's my daily driver and I take it on road trips. It broke down in the middle of nowhere, Kansas, and I had to get a tow. Ended up being a bad ground wire on the thermostat Anyway it is back up and running now.

The fuel filler neck was leaking, apparently it rusted out and a pinhole leak formed. I ended up swapping it with a nice clean used one that I got for cheap from the local junkyard.

I did an oil change, and I also put Synchromesh in the transmission, and new Honda dual pump fluid for the rear differential. I also flushed and re-bled the clutch hydraulics, for some reason the fluid was turning dark (haven't looked into the cause) and I wanted to get some fresh stuff in there. I also replaced the oil pan gasket, I was finding that it was slowly leaking and when I got it offf to inspect it, I found that it was torn in a couple places. Fresh one on there and no more leaks.

Rented a Rug Doctor rug cleaner and I used it on the interior, did the carpet, seats and trunk. Came out nice and clean!

Did a stealth install on a pair of dash cameras. One hidden behind the rearview mirror pointing forward, the other in the rear window pointing backwards, next to the middle brake light. Hardwired to be on and recording whenever the key is turned, with an 8-hour automatic loop history.

Pics someday soon, huh?
                  Last edited by cp[mike]; 08-04-2015, 04:17 PM.

Current cars:

Comment

Hey there budddyyyyyyyyyyyyy

How did you go about replacing the rear diff fluid?!?!

I had it checked/topped off by Honda when they did my 30k service but it now has around 60k and I want to do it myself.

I also need to swap out the downstream o2 sensor, because when the heat shield rusted loose and I removed it, when I put the o2 sensor back in I think I stripped the threads.....it went back in but not fully and now I get a CEL.

Comment

Oh and for some reason I never added a picture of my CRV.

Here she is with my now sold 2002.

When my wife gets the new Pilot, I am taking the CRV and I will be adding roof racks.

She is pretty solid. Just need to keep up the regular maintenance. Haven't had any real problems thus far :knock on wood:

I might add fogs. Other than that, can't really think of anything else to do to her.

Have you ever taken yours on any real trails or mudding?
                      Last edited by Ralphie; 08-04-2015, 11:06 PM.

Comment

So still daily driving this for the most part. Slowly making fixes and improvements - I finally replaced the dash clock (which kept cutting out) with a clock/temp/voltmeter. Got a set of OEM floor mats and fixed all of the missing/crooked trim pieces inside. Replaced the broken hood latch cable too.

Then out of nowhere, THE TIMING BELT BROKE. Nothing to indicate why - It was a new OEM belt, replaced less than 2 years ago, and nothing was leaking or seized. The tensioner was still good and in place. The belt just decided to up and shred! WTF. It happened on the highway, all of my valves (or at least some of them) got bent. The engine had terrible compression numbers (60, 80, 90, 60).

So I ended up taking the head off and I replaced all of the valves. Put a new Gates timing belt on and reassembled everything. Runs well again! Still can't believe it happened out of nowhere though. Total cost of repairs was about $250, plus 12-15 hours of my time.

Couple pics:

Last edited by cp[mike]; 11-08-2015, 09:17 AM.

Current cars:

Comment

I swear you have the craziest luck and stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisisiced View Post
                            I swear you have the craziest luck and stories.
                            sometimes i feel a little bit like maple

Current cars:

Comment

Not sure how, but think all the towing had anything to do with the timing belt?
                              90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                              08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                                Not sure how, but think all the towing had anything to do with the timing belt?
                                I was starting to think somehow I got a counterfeit belt? Like is that a thing? I bought it from ebay pretty dang cheap, I wonder if somebody out there is packaging cheap belts with new OEM-looking printing or something.... probably not, but still weird.

anyway, your theory is possible. Youre saying it somehow put extra tension on the belt? Though it was a very odd time to die, its been fine for almost a year now, then I was driving on the highway and it was fine. Slowed down to get off an exit ramp, pressed the clutch to downshift. Hit the gas to continue up the ramp and nothing! The car died either: 1. during the downshift, 2. just before the downshift when I went to neutral, or 3. on the highway just beforehand, but I didn't notice it was stalled because I was slowing down.

Current cars:

Comment

Working...
                                X