Snapped Timing Belt Information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snapped Timing Belt Information

This thread is to just inform people of what can happen from snapping a timing belt and to provide good information for future cb7tuners.

About a year ago, I was driving on the freeway at a steady cruising speed. The timing belt snapped and I was able to tow it home. I did a quick timing belt change and started the car. Everything seemed ok. The car had a slight ticking sound, but never got worse or changed. I contributed this to the motor having close to 300,000 miles. Boy, was I wrong.

Over time, the car began to give me issues. I was having issues with an intermittent miss and a starting issue. On top of this, the car began to bog down while accelerating from a stop and die sometimes while cruising.

These issues led me to check my spark plugs and I had oil in the spark plug tubes. I pulled the valve cover and replaced the upper spark plug tube seals, the spark plugs and wires. This did not fix the issue that I had and I kept trying to chase the issue.

The bogging down and random dying was contributed to a bad fuel filter, as these issues never came up again after the fuel filter was changed. Still, I was left with a miss that wouldn't go away and a hard start issue.

Finally, the car died on the freeway at cruising speeds. No warning, just died. When I pulled the spark plugs; two were covered with oil completely, one cylinder could hold compression and the last cylinder had a spark plug that looked like it was banged against a wall for awhile. It was bent and broken really bad.

Turns out, that I had bent the valve when the timing belt snapped. Eventually the valve snapped and rattled around the cylinder (not sure for how long). But it was shoved up into the hole where it normally sits and stuck in there sideways.

I say this to warn others... make sure to change your timing belt at the proper intervals. And, if you ever snap a timing belt, check the valves before you start it back up. I ended up swapping out the old motor and replaced it with a f22a4 with 140,000 less miles than the original f22a4.
    Last edited by oni_cb7; 04-16-2014, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Yes sir.... always good to change your timing belt as directed. This is also a good reason as to why you have your head/valves checked after a broken timing belt.

That bent valve, or multiple bent valves, was the reason for your missing issues after the timing belt snap. A leak down or compression test would have reviled this and saved you some money.

Sorry to hear about the demise of your engine, it is definitely something that you can learn from.
      MR Thread
      GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

what a awesome motor. How long about, did it run with a broke off valve flopping around in the cylinder wall ?
        CB7TUNER.com
        Educating each other one car at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostAccord View Post
          Yes sir.... always good to change your timing belt as directed. This is also a good reason as to why you have your head/valves checked after a broken timing belt.

That bent valve, or multiple bent valves, was the reason for your missing issues after the timing belt snap. A leak down or compression test would have reviled this and saved you some money.

Sorry to hear about the demise of your engine, it is definitely something that you can learn from.
          I was hoping that since it started up fine, after putting on the new timing belt, that the valves weren't bent. I'm not going to assume again after this.

Luckily I had a spare motor sitting on my sideyard. I only had to buy parts to reseal the motor (it had been sitting for a few years). I only spent about 300-400 on quality parts.

After pulling the motor, and rebuilding the new one; I definitely learned a lot. I am definitely thankful for the learning experience, but I wish it didn't happen this way. Haha.

Originally posted by cb9love View Post
          what a awesome motor. How long about, did it run with a broke off valve flopping around in the cylinder wall ?
          I am not sure how long the valve was banging around in the cylinder. But, the car ran and drove for a little over a year after snapping the timing belt.

Comment

how to prevent ruining the engine in such situation? sorry for your loss man

Comment

Originally posted by EsperHamid View Post
              how to prevent ruining the engine in such situation? sorry for your loss man
              Oh don't be sorry. It wasn't a loss, just a lesson learned. My car was only off the road for three weeks. Work and school were priority and I replaced the motor in my free time.

In order to avoid this situation, make sure you replace your timing belt at the proper intervals.

However, if you snap the timing belt, then make sure you check the valves before starting the motor again. Don't just replace the timing belt, make sure the valves are good too.

Comment

Working...
              X