cb7s and skid plate racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cb7s and skid plate racing

Apparently, there is a style of racing where they weld steel skid plates to the bottom of a steal rim and mount that on the back of a fwd car. Then race around an oval. Sounds like an extreme version of fast food tray sliding...

Looking through this jalopnik article, I noticed what looked to be some cb7s.

Here's the rest of the article; which has some videos and more GIFs.

Please let me know if you notice that they are actually cb7s. I looked really quick (no lights) so I couldn't really tell if they were or not.

Why, as a track owner/operator, would you want this type of activity ruining your track surface?
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
      Why, as a track owner/operator, would you want this type of activity ruining your track surface?
      Haha not sure. I did notice that it was held at Irwindale in California

Comment

lol. does look like fun. also looks like those cars on the right collided into each other.
        i guess its a form of mixing racing and demolition together. but i agree with jarrett; looks like it would def. cause surface damage to the track.

Comment

in the article it states that it helps smooth out high spots on the track. they are flat plates welded to the wheels so i can see where it would help. looks fun.... kinda want to try it.

"Tucking tires and wires."
          The Chronicles.

Comment

Originally posted by J-specCb4 View Post
            in the article it states that it helps smooth out high spots on the track. they are flat plates welded to the wheels so i can see where it would help. looks fun.... kinda want to try it.
            I must have skipped over that part. That's awesome that it actually helps smooth out the high spots.

I would definitely want to try it... wonder what the restrictions are.

*Edit* just need a fire suit, helmet and gloves (which can be rented for $25). Rent a car for $250. If you crash it, no one cares. Or you can pay $35 and bring your own car. Sounds like a hell of a way to get rid of an old car and have legal fun doing it.
            Last edited by oni_cb7; 09-24-2013, 12:36 AM. Reason: added info

Comment

No speed records here

"My FOR SALE thread - Click here"

MEMBERS RIDE

99 SILVERADO

WHEEL FLIP

Comment

practice for fast food tray slides lol

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
                01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
                93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
                93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
                  i would of figured plastic tray's would of worked better to not mess up the surface
                  FRIENDS
                  DONT LET
                  FRIENDS
                  ROLL ON
                  ROTA'S

Comment

Originally posted by mugencivic4dr View Post
                    i would of figured plastic tray's would of worked better to not mess up the surface
                    As previously stated, the metal skid plates actually smooth out the high spots on the track. Additionally, plastic trays would not last a 15-20 minute race, let alone one lap around Irwindale; which is one of the main locations for this.

Comment

The good ol' tray sliding days... Plastic trays last about 10 seconds, and wood trays about 30, time to go smooth parking lots again 10 seconds at a time...
                      PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

haha at first I thought "daam, i wanna try that!" until i seen how slow you have to drive to keep control.

Comment

Working...
                        X