How hard to replace rear quarter panel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How hard to replace rear quarter panel.

So car recovered after stolen with banged in rear quarter panel. I fixed engine leaks issue. I am deciding just to sell car or keep it and do the work myself. Unless i can find someone i can take car to and leave for a few months while they do work on it. I cant just trash car to jy. I was wondering if this was something i can do myself in a garage over time as it was just about to get a paint job on it. But replacing the rear quarter panel i know is a job and i've never done it. I don't mind buying a air compressor and a few tools. Painting itself isnt that hard but the prep work is a pain. I got to take windows out anyways to replace seals. How much work is replacing a rear quarter panel for a semi noob on body work.

Very hard. Especially if you want professional results. Know how to weld ?

Comment

As said, it's certainly adept. I'm not knowledgeable/ skilled at sheet metal fab or auto body in general. But just the aspects of using a mig or tig in the manner in which body panel replacement requires is a highly skilled task. It's a developed art.

Keele Design on here if he's still around was admirably skilled in this area in my opinion. There is just so much you have to know. Then you have to be skilled at it.

Just for reference, I was quoted on two occasions $1200-$1500 per arch panel without base or clear on a CB7 sedan. A sketchy shop wanted $900-$1000. And that was over 5 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
        Very hard. Especially if you want professional results. Know how to weld ?
        I did a little 30 years ago. I need to take a pic of damage and put it on here. It is bent in where door meets rear quarter panel. Maybe it could be bent out or something.

Comment

unfortunately, a damaged quarter panel usually totals out these cars unless you really care about it.

a picture would really help, but see if you can pull back the trunk trim and get at the backside of the panel and kick/hammer/smack it back out.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
          Originally posted by Stephen Fry
          'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
          Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

If you have the time, you can do it. Here is a thread on how I went about replacing the quarters on Ruby: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=180806 I guess I should update the pictures, the photobucket logo is irritating.

Coupe would be similar. I did it mostly with a spot welder by splitting and redoing seams in areas that are hidden by other features (trim, weatherstripping, bumper, etc.). I did create a new seam in the wheel housing. Take your time. If you can, find a body shop that is willing to give you advice as you go. Tough part might be finding a good donor quarter panel. Let me know if you have any questions about what I did, just ask.
            90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
            08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Working...
            X