Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Installing Front Coupe Leather Inserts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Front Coupe Leather Inserts

Hi all, I just recently picked up some coupe leather inserts for my coupe, and I was wondering what steps I should take to affix it to my front door panels. I want it to be as secure as possible, because I don't want the heat to ruin the installation. I have contact cement to glue the stuff together, but now I just need to know how to get each side ready.

1) how should I prepare the door panels? When I rip off the cloth, they will have the original residue from the glue. I will be sanding, goo-goning, cleaning, and doing whatever I can to get that residue off. once its off, would it be ready, or should I rough up the surface?

2) How should I prepare the inserts? I'm worried there may be some glue residue and that this would be enough to ruin the bond between the two parts. I would like to know how to clean the fabric. If anyone with upholstery experience can tell me if some residue will cause a definite issue in bonding, I would like to know.

^this is the backside. its a cloth insert.

If anyone has any experience with professional upholstery, I would like your input. thanks!
    blackROSE Member, with a focus on VIP Style

Leather inserts have metal clips on the back of them, drill some holes in the door panel so you can slide the clips into them, also use some adhesive. They are tucked underneth the doors armrest as well so they won't be going any where

Comment

hmm :'\ the ones I found don't have the metal tabs nor the metal backing. maybe these were installed by a dealer? it literally was just glued onto the cloth insert. this isn't the first time i've seen it installed like this, so i guess its a normal thing to do.

I wish the ones I found did.

Comment

if it was glued to the fabric, then it was a dealer option, or atleast done at a shop somewhere. you could probably get 3M adhesive and put them on with that. just remember to get the strongest glue because they have different strengths. later.
        Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Originally posted by P5ylance View Post
          hmm :'\ the ones I found don't have the metal tabs nor the metal backing. maybe these were installed by a dealer? it literally was just glued onto the cloth insert. this isn't the first time i've seen it installed like this, so i guess its a normal thing to do.

I wish the ones I found did.
          Were they from an SE? If they were not then it was dealer installed

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG View Post
            if it was glued to the fabric, then it was a dealer option, or atleast done at a shop somewhere. you could probably get 3M adhesive and put them on with that. just remember to get the strongest glue because they have different strengths. later.
            Yeah, they were glued straight to the fabric, so dealer option it is. Yup, I got me some contact cement, I believe its DAP, cuz I wanna make sure this thing stays

@tippey: nope, not from an SE. I do believe it was an EX coupe. No metal tabs either, for both the front and rear panels, so it was by the dealer. it'd be cool though if they did have metal tabs! :3 I'd be happy as hell.

thanks guys for the feedback, I really appreciate it

Comment

Working...
            X