CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Beginner forum -- New members post here! > Beginner Technical/Performance

Old 10-24-2010, 09:55 PM   #1
CB7_Catalyst
CB7tuner Member

CB7_Catalyst is cool... so far.
Rev iPhone App.

I heard about an iPhone app that could read your check engine light errors and stuff a day or two ago, and it had me curious.

So I did some research, and found an app, developed by Devtoaster, called "Rev", and for $39.99 for one app, I was intrigued, aka. It's gotta be something worth every penny...
(http://www.devtoaster.com/products/rev/)

More research led me to a little device made by PLX devices, called Kiwi, which plugs into a OBD-II port, and transmits to the iPhone.

With it, you can monitor Tire pressure, Gas Mileage, etc.. (just off the top of my head)

I don't exactly remember, but I'm pretty sure that 4th Gen. Accords are OBD-I, and I significantly remember this, because its a pretty heated debate.

I was wondering if this is a device that is compatible with our beloved CB7, and if not, off stock, than is it possible to make some simple, or even major modifications, to bring it up to par, for the Kiwi, and iPhone devices.

If not, than maybe a healthy alternative.

Thanks
P.S.- The Kiwi is $139.99
(http://www.plxkiwi.com/kiwiwifi/hardware.html)
-John

Last edited by CB7_Catalyst; 10-24-2010 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Links.
CB7_Catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:14 PM   #2
nine_deuce
CB7tuner Member

nine_deuce is very helpful nine_deuce is very helpful nine_deuce is very helpful
Before I'd spend 40 dollars on a program I wasn't sure worked, look for that app in an "ipa" format. I got Dynolicious for free via an ipa app. I'm looking for it now, if I can find it, I'll post the link
nine_deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:17 PM   #3
CB7_Catalyst
CB7tuner Member

yeah, I guess I hadn't even considered the possibility of an alternative..
The Rev. App has a Lite version as well
(Just thought I'd add.)

-John
Old 10-24-2010, 11:12 PM   #4
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
How is it a heated debate about our cars being OBD1? That is a fact. 100%, no question about it. OBD2 did not come to be until 1996. 2 years into the 5th generation Accord.

This thing will not transmit anything that isn't fed to the OBD1 ECU. No tire pressure, no gas mileage, nothing. RPMs, perhaps the Air/Fuel ratio (though a useless reading from the stock narrowband sensor), etc...

Nothing more than a simple datalogger device would report to a connected laptop running an appropriate program.

deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:38 PM   #5
CB7_Catalyst
CB7tuner Member

is it possible to add all of these things?

I'm not sure it'd be worth all that, but Its surely worth discussing

As for the heat, (mind you, this is all from memory, so Im accepting that it wasnt as correct as i remember) but i remember people saying stuff like, Its OBD-II, and then 6 people would be like, NOOO.. its definitely OBD-I. Everybody knows that, and you're a dumbfuck for thinking otherwise.
Not to bash any users, of course.. I learn so much about cars in general, let alone just CB's, so this site is a huge step in my love for the 4th gen.. people just are not as nice as others.. ._.

Last edited by CB7_Catalyst; 10-25-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:55 PM   #6
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
That might have something to do with your assumption that you're going to get flamed and insulted. When you start a thread assuming that, people will automatically attack you when you're wrong.

Also, if you're not sure what years were OBD2, all you have to do is Google "OBD2" and it will tell you "on-board diagnostic computer system used in cars made from 1996 on." It's really not hard! If you KNOW that you don't know something, rather than using your ignorance as a defense... fucking look it up!

To use a system that reads an OBD2 ECU's signals, you'd have to convert to OBD2. Since there are no OBD2 4th generation Accords, there are no OBD2 ECUs to be had for the F22A (though there MIGHT be an OBD2 F22A1 in a 1996 Prelude... I have yet to see one myself, though.)
To do it properly, you would need to swap an OBD2 engine into your car so you can run a proper OBD2 ECU for it. Then you would have to rewire your car for OBD2.

OR, spend $50 on a P06 ECU, $20 on a chipping kit, $80 on a Moates Hulog, and plug that shit into a laptop. Get yourself a decent basemap for your engine, as well as a wideband o2 sensor, and whatever other sensors you'd like to hook up (EGT would be my next step), and you'll not only have information you can read... but an ECU that you can tune using that information.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:59 PM   #7
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

And please resize or remove your sig... before I do.

nine_deuce, you too. You know better.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:08 AM   #8
bcjammerx
CB7tuner Member

bcjammerx seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to bcjammerx Send a message via Yahoo to bcjammerx
how does it read anything? our cars ecu is not wireless.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:03 AM   #9
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjammerx View Post
how does it read anything? our cars ecu is not wireless.
Apparently you don't read anything either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB7_Catalyst
More research led me to a little device made by PLX devices, called Kiwi, which plugs into a OBD-II port, and transmits to the iPhone.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:51 AM   #10
bcjammerx
CB7tuner Member

Well can't argue with you there I guess. So I guess this would work with an ipod touch as well? Might be cool to hook up to the wifes 00 accord
Old 11-10-2010, 09:45 AM   #11
C91BLX7
CB7tuner Member

C91BLX7 is very helpful C91BLX7 is very helpful C91BLX7 is very helpful
Last I checked our cars arent OBD-II, and also dont have a DLC, so even OBD-I scanners can't read them.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:30 PM   #12
nine_deuce
CB7tuner Member

nine_deuce is very helpful nine_deuce is very helpful nine_deuce is very helpful
The iPhone apps use the motion sensor thing inside the phone, I forget what it's called, but, it's the thing that if you're playing a driving game, to turn, you just have to tilt the phone.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:01 AM   #13
bcjammerx
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C91BLX7 View Post
Last I checked our cars arent OBD-II, and also dont have a DLC, so even OBD-I scanners can't read them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_deuce View Post
The iPhone apps use the motion sensor thing inside the phone, I forget what it's called, but, it's the thing that if you're playing a driving game, to turn, you just have to tilt the phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjammerx View Post
Well can't argue with you there I guess. So I guess this would work with an ipod touch as well? Might be cool to hook up to the wifes 00 accord
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevergote View Post
Apparently you don't read anything either.Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB7_Catalyst
Guess I am not the only one Deev
Old 11-25-2010, 12:38 AM   #14
nine_deuce
CB7tuner Member

I was just browsing the net and found this app/device for the iPhone, it's a bit spendy, I think, but if it works, it may be a great buy.

http://www.ot-2.com/
Old 11-25-2010, 01:12 AM   #15
cbscandal
CB7tuner Member

cbscandal seems to have made some friends! cbscandal seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_deuce View Post
Accelerometer.
cbscandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 06:27 PM   #16
DariuszZ
CB7tuner Member

DariuszZ is cool... so far.
Send a message via MSN to DariuszZ
First off all, this is NOT going to work with our cars since like Dev and everybody with SOME understading of what OBD1 and 2 represent said you need to have a car thats OBD2 which is basically 96+ period. That is because, from what i understand, you will connect one of their devices to your ecu, the other one to your lighter and your ipod/phone to that 2nd device. From there you will be able to read your rpm, temp, CEL codes, reset it etc because it will transfer the data from the device which is connected to your ecu (wirelessly). Too bad it wont work with our cb7s. that thing is pretty handy.
DariuszZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
check engine light , iphone , kiwi , obd1 , plx

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: