Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

From a BMW driver: Much Respect to the CB7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cb7_92accord View Post
    Seriously, $1000 and $3000?! That's not bad at all. I have seen a few E36s going turbo and its a good idea like you said. Btw, I got a question off topic. Does some old threads automatically gets deleted?
    God... hes referencing the cars i own or am going to buy LOL

This is my 328i i bought for $1500, it needed a clutch and some other small work

And then the other day at the gas station i ran into a lady driving a 1999 m3 convertible. I struck up a conversation with her and found out she was going to trade it in. She said the dealer wasn't going to offer her enough, they said they wanted to give her $2k. I offered her $3k and she said " thats about what i want " i got her number and i'm calling her tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by Gator325 View Post
      Tippey, that's an awesome looking M3. I'm jealous. E46 model was definitely the last and best of the true M3 cars.

I'm glad everybody, for the most part, appreciated my comments about the CB7. They are cool looking cars that are apparently indestructible. I'm really interested to know what the secret is to their longevity. I know this is a tuner community, but most of the examples I see driven on the street look bone stock.

How did Honda build such a bulletproof car? Since you guys tune them you must know them better than anybody else.
      The design is super simple. They designed it to be serviceable and cheap to build.

Re: Bimmers, I just bought a Z but I really wanted an E36 M3. Next car will either be a Z4M or a 370Z...

Originally posted by lordoja
      im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Even though I got an Evo I thought about getting a Sti or a Skylinebehind that and keep the Evo.

Comment

Tippey, I wasn't referencing the 328... I keep forgetting you even have that thing!
          I'm just taking about E36s in general. $1000 is the going rate for a beater E36. You can find higher prices from people that think that they have something fancy in a 15+ year old BMW... but the fact of the matter is, it's an old car with a fairly high repair and maintenance cost compared to cheap cars like Hondas and Toyotas. You don't buy an old BMW unless you have the desire to pay BMW prices to fix things. ESPECIALLY if you don't know how to wrench on them yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
            Yes i do the maintenance myself

Its not really that expensive.

Most of the common parts are shared with a regular 3 series. It only gets expensive if you want to modify it. Also changing the oil is a bit expensive since it takes 10w-60 oil. Changing the oil is like $100 but whatever. Its synthetic oil and the oil change interval is 7500 miles. I'm cheap so i go the whole way.

It needs front brakes right now, its like $120 for rotors and $140 for a set of pads ( front and rear )

Its really not until you start modifying it or something stupid breaks that you find out how expensive it is.
            i just did rotors and pads on an e46. i got wagner thermoquiets a full set for around 55 shipped ( rock auto ) and i bought drill slot rotors all around because they were the least expensive @ 109$ shipped. autozone wanted 50$ a rotor + tax i said EFF that!!

From a German import standpoint, i cant stand working on vw's or bmw's. Mercedes are a nightmare to even look at so im not even going to GO THERE! You need a special tool for just about everything on a VW ( i.e. removing the seats, suspension components, ). BMW isnt much farther off because most of its screws are torx. The most idiotic screw lengths exist in the hardest places ( i.e the A pillar SRS pannels have literally a 2 inch screw which is cock blocked by the windshield, taking the steering wheel airbag off is nearly impossible ). If that werent enough, the germans must have been talking alot to the japanese when it came to making window components because everything thats important, it PLASTIC. Actuators are plastic pully driven and when they fail to retract the METAL cords properly then you have to replace the WHOLE ACTUATOR because its impossible to replace JUST the pully or JUST the creased cords. Not only are the windows plastic but all of the trim are attached using this brittle wax like clip that either break off or disintegrate everytime you need to remove a piece. Dashboards and door pannels are this cheesy fake, lint attracting plastic that wont luster even if you dump a whole bottle of armor all on them. The E46 has an amazing engine, but other than that, the expensive pricetag and maintenance bills just make the chassis a love hate relationship.

I dont consider the E46 chassis to be any more LUXURY than the cb7 unless LUXURY means PITA and expensive, then yes in that case it would be a Luxury vehicle. Hate to come off sounding like a hater but its nothing farther from the truth. I cant think of anything on the CB7 more aggravating than anything mentioned above. Its truly a reliable vehicle and a pleasure to work on.
            Last edited by xkjnboix; 08-23-2013, 12:00 AM.
            frostwhite225@gmail.com =VENMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOB38zJu66o

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Comment

Originally posted by xkjnboix View Post
              i just did rotors and pads on an e46. i got wagner thermoquiets a full set for around 55 shipped ( rock auto ) and i bought drill slot rotors all around because they were the least expensive @ 109$ shipped. autozone wanted 50$ a rotor + tax i said EFF that!!
              m3 rotors are much more expensive than regular e46 parts.

And at least the rotors don't warp left and right like they do on hondas

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                tippey just picked up an E46 M3. I haven't seen it in person yet, but it's pretty damn nice.
                I'd love one of each generation M3, personally (though the V8 isn't as appealing to me... to me, it detracts from what the M3 is!)

Most Honda drivers look very favorably on BMWs (Toyota drivers seem to be the same with Mercedes Benz)
                As an original Toyota fanboy(I work at a 'Yota dealership, and owned 2 4runners w/ 22re and a '93 corolla w/ 7afe) I can say that BMW's are way more sought after and praised than Benz. Every time a Benz comes into the dealership as a trade in, the mechanics moan and groan at having to do a used vehicle inspection. They moan less at BMWs, though.

Still, Japanese forever.
                (Love the M3's, sexy cars... not gonna lie.)

Comment

LOL that's a good looking M3 you got there!

Comment

Originally posted by Revious View Post
                    As an original Toyota fanboy(I work at a 'Yota dealership, and owned 2 4runners w/ 22re and a '93 corolla w/ 7afe) I can say that BMW's are way more sought after and praised than Benz. Every time a Benz comes into the dealership as a trade in, the mechanics moan and groan at having to do a used vehicle inspection. They moan less at BMWs, though.

Still, Japanese forever.
                    (Love the M3's, sexy cars... not gonna lie.)
                    I guess I based that more on the fact that the original Lexus LS400 was essentially a direct Benz copy!
                    Honda seems to have mimicked BMW more than anything else. The Crosstour was admittedly in response to the 5 Series Gran Turismo.
                    Both Honda and BMW tend to have sporty cars with moderate power, balanced handling, and responsive manual transmissions. I've seen countless magazine reviews of other makes saying "the shifter was good, but not quite as direct as a Honda or BMW unit."

Comment

I was looking into getting an e36 because the body lines seemed so similar to the cb7. That and i like boxy looking cars, especially late 80s/early 90s.

Comment

The things people get away with on a CB7 would probably destroy a 2004 Cavalier in 3 months!
                        I take offense to that my last car was a 2004 Cavalier lol

Comment

I agree with the uselessness of BWM's.

They are great looking cars, and I know the performance is there....

and that's it.

Id like an old one just to tinker around in and enjoy, but I know i'd be unhappy as Im used to cheap and easy maintenance on Honda's.

People talk a lot of shit but at the end of the day, they become to expensive and people just end up dumping them.

Comment

Originally posted by htownmike View Post
                            I take offense to that my last car was a 2004 Cavalier lol
                            And I bet if you did the same things that some of the asshats get away with on their CB7s to it, it'd have been a pile of scrap by now!

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
                            I agree with the uselessness of BWM's.

They are great looking cars, and I know the performance is there....

and that's it.

Id like an old one just to tinker around in and enjoy, but I know i'd be unhappy as Im used to cheap and easy maintenance on Honda's.

People talk a lot of shit but at the end of the day, they become to expensive and people just end up dumping them.
                            Well, they're not THAT crazy expensive. I mean, some fancy model like the old hand-built M5s, or maybe the 8 series... yeah, those can be pretty brutal to maintain, repair, and modify properly. But a standard 3 series isn't obscene in terms of cost of ownership. They're also pretty reliable when maintained properly (I'd say pretty damn close to Honda, though I know some have a reputation for electrical issues, like most German cars seem to.)
                            For example, Koni Yellows for a 1998 328i (top non-M 3 series) are $186 each for fronts, and $118 each for rears. $608 total.
                            For a 1992 Accord, Koni Yellows are $112 each for the fronts, and $132 each for the rears. $488 total. $120 difference for a fairly high-end shock upgrade between our cheap old Hondas and a newer (but still old) BMW. (and to even it out, a 1998 Accord has Konis priced at $129 each for all 4 corners... so under $100 difference from the BMW.)

Unless you buy a total piece of junk, an everyday BMW isn't going to bankrupt anyone. It'll certainly cost more if you buy OEM BMW parts and have the dealer perform maintenance and repairs... but as Tippey said, even his M3 isn't THAT bad to work on.

Comment

And I bet if you did the same things that some of the asshats get away with on their CB7s to it, it'd have been a pile of scrap by now!

Well, they're not THAT crazy expensive. I mean, some fancy model like the old hand-built M5s, or maybe the 8 series... yeah, those can be pretty brutal to maintain, repair, and modify properly. But a standard 3 series isn't obscene in terms of cost of ownership. They're also pretty reliable when maintained properly (I'd say pretty damn close to Honda, though I know some have a reputation for electrical issues, like most German cars seem to.)
                              For example, Koni Yellows for a 1998 328i (top non-M 3 series) are $186 each for fronts, and $118 each for rears. $608 total.
                              For a 1992 Accord, Koni Yellows are $112 each for the fronts, and $132 each for the rears. $488 total. $120 difference for a fairly high-end shock upgrade between our cheap old Hondas and a newer (but still old) BMW. (and to even it out, a 1998 Accord has Konis priced at $129 each for all 4 corners... so under $100 difference from the BMW.)

Unless you buy a total piece of junk, an everyday BMW isn't going to bankrupt anyone. It'll certainly cost more if you buy OEM BMW parts and have the dealer perform maintenance and repairs... but as Tippey said, even his M3 isn't THAT bad to work on.
                              I laugh my ass off when people get the car or any high maintenance car and drive around in it ,change the oil etc the moment it gets a check-engine light they'll still ride on it instead of getting fixed.

Then when their car has no choice and they see how much it costs for repairs they regret it or complain how expensive it is. I don't think they take it into consideration that when driving a luxury car you gotta have the money to go with it.

Comment

Almost any car is like that! Ignoring warnings and proper maintenance will result in expensive repairs in damn near anything!

Hell, my $15,000 Fit has already had $4000 put into the clutch/transmission (2 replacement clutches, one shifter mechanism). Not to mention another $2000 in the HVAC. 50% of the car's value spent on repairs already, and it's a 2009 Honda Fit!

Comment

Working...
                                X