CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Beginner forum -- New members post here! > Beginner Technical/Performance

Old 06-23-2013, 04:53 PM   #1
marinemp1978
CB7tuner Member

marinemp1978 is cool... so far.
Cleaning IM and engine storage ?s

Got my cylinder head off gonna take it to the machine shop next week. What is the best way to store the engine block while it waits for the head to get machined? Any other tips welcome. Also, while it sits I got the IM off, any tips on cleaning it?
marinemp1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:29 PM   #2
Swiss
Newcomer

Swiss is cool... so far.
You can use a soft rag and coat the cylinder walls with engine oil. Also heard of people using wd-40 or atf on the cylinder walls. Some people say wrap in plastic and some say sit the block on wood and cover it with a sheet or blanket. Its best to have it in a humidity controlled environment. The lower the humidity the better of course.
Swiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
marinemp1978
CB7tuner Member

marinemp1978 is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss View Post
You can use a soft rag and coat the cylinder walls with engine oil. Also heard of people using wd-40 or atf on the cylinder walls. Some people say wrap in plastic and some say sit the block on wood and cover it with a sheet or blanket. Its best to have it in a humidity controlled environment. The lower the humidity the better of course.
I live in vegas so humidity isnt really a factor. Thanks for the tip for the cylinder walls think i will do that. Covered the block with a plastic garbage bag.

Anyone know if its ok to use a brush and carb cleaner to scrub the heck out of the inside and outside of the intake (taking care not to spray the connectors)?
marinemp1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:01 PM   #4
Grumpys93
Contributing Member

Grumpys93 seems to have made some friends!
my engine has been stored for 3 years now and all i did was give a thin layer on the cylnder walls and wrapped the shit out of it with box plastic wrap. when I went home 3 months ago I undid the plastic to check for rust and there was no rust found. So i applied small amount of oil again and rewrapped for another 2-3 years of storage til i get back to florida. Also it is garage kept and on an engine stand
FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93
Grumpys93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cylinder head , engine cleaning , engine storage , head gasket , intake

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: