Improving mid bass in the front doors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Improving mid bass in the front doors

I've been slowly upgrading my audio system and I've reached a point where I'm not satisfied with my mid bass. Working on a VW today, with the outer door skin completely removed, I could feel and hear the mids better than I can in my own car. I was thinking about throwing some sound deadener on the inside of the door skin just because, but I'm not sure if it's my speakers I'm dissatisfied with or an issue with the door acoustics. I already have my mind set on components as that's what I have currently. I'm willing to upgrade from an internal crossover to an external one but I feel that's not really going to change much. I just want to feel the bass in my leg a bit when my volume is over 50%. Right now I have Rockford Fosgate P500x4D Voice Amplifier, P1652-S (Front Mid) and paired P1T-S (Front High). Suggestions and advice?

Originally posted by Mike1357 View Post
    I've been slowly upgrading my audio system and I've reached a point where I'm not satisfied with my mid bass. Working on a VW today, with the outer door skin completely removed, I could feel and hear the mids better than I can in my own car. I was thinking about throwing some sound deadener on the inside of the door skin just because, but I'm not sure if it's my speakers I'm dissatisfied with or an issue with the door acoustics. I already have my mind set on components as that's what I have currently. I'm willing to upgrade from an internal crossover to an external one but I feel that's not really going to change much. I just want to feel the bass in my leg a bit when my volume is over 50%. Right now I have Rockford Fosgate P500x4D Voice Amplifier, P1652-S (Front Mid) and paired P1T-S (Front High). Suggestions and advice?
    Either upgrade the speakers to better ones (alpine Type R, etc.) or you could install another set of speakers in speaker pods like I have. DIY in signature.
    But I think this is going to come down to many factors and VW having better quality. Running the car speakers off their own amp helps here too.

Comment

I used actual 6.5 subs on my front doors on my truck due to the rear speaker being right next to my ear in the pillars. Also look for efficiency in speakers even if you are planning to use an external amp, I used to believe in Alpine like alot of folks do but realistically now days you get Infinity, Polk, JBL for the same or less money than some of the Alpine speakers. I think a custom fiberglass baffle for the speaker will help too, as long as it is built in a way that does not interfere with the window.
      [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

No speaker in the world will help you with midbass in a leaky enclosure like a door. Your best and cheapest option will be to seal up the large holes in the door with some sound deadening and aluminum flashing. Your goal here is for the speaker to see as close to a proper enclosure as possible. You could also shove some 8's in there. I had a pair of Dayton Audio RS225s (I think that was the model) that could shake my rear view mirror.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Raf,
          I was doing a lot of research last night and I really like the Type R's from the reviews I read. I already have all my speakers running off of an amp. I'm wanting something that will handle 75w rms at 4 ohms. I'll check out your DIY. I've been working on VW's for about 3 years now. They're not fantastic speakers but the doors are sealed well. Still, I had the door skin completely off so it was as if it was in a horribly leaky door.

Crankshaft,
          I'm really leaning towards Alpine at this point. I was running the soft baffles but my bass response was worse with them in. I haven't considered a fiberglass baffle.

sonikaccord,
          That's going a little too far for what I want to do, but I think a little sound deadening is definitely in order. I don't want to jump to 8's; I'll probably just go with a quality 6.5 component setup.

Comment

I'm really leaning towards Alpine at this point. I was running the soft baffles but my bass response was worse with them in. I haven't considered a fiberglass baffle.

I purchased those exact foam ones and didn't even install them, there is no room for the magnet for the Polk speakers I have, also since they are not rigid and the material is porous I don't expect significant or gains period.
            [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

I guess it would help if you could find a .... "backing" for the speaker in the door. Something that is not going to allow the sound to go into the door and out towards your leg. Thought 91's had them or something...

Like this but a solid piece...

Comment

Didn't the SE's come with a nice ported enclosure for 5.25s? I would pick those up if I could find them. Maybe they can be opened up a bit for 6.5s. At least you'd have a solid base (bass? lol) to work with.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_341FAS...m&awug=9032493

These plus stinger roadkill and overkill. Put roadkill on the outer skin and inner skin and over kill on the inner side of the door panel. Then put the fast rings in. You'll thank me later.

MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=95154

Comment

Working...
                  X