ABS leak = regular brake fluid leak??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ABS leak = regular brake fluid leak??

93 honda accord SE, 327K miles. ABS light has been on for at least 10 years. Replaced original master cylinder almost a year ago, and within the last 3-4 months, I've been losing brake fluid to the point of it being almost empty every 1-2 weeks, depending on how hard I've had to brake.

Took it back to Pep boys last week (who did the original replacement) and they said it was the ABS reservoir leaking but couldn't find any other brake fluid leaks. They put some dye in the ABS reservoir and judging from stains on the concrete, it is clearly leaking on the passenger side (I'll see if I can get a picture).

Can an ABS reservoir leak cause a leak or loss of regular brake fluid, or should I have them look at something else?

It can leak from many different spots around the ABS reservoir. The fluid that runs through your master cyl runs through the ABS pump as well. Cant spot any leaks around it? Maybe remove the intake?

Comment

Here are a couple of pictures I took. The first one looks like it is dripping, but after enlarging the picture, it looks like just light reflection but you can see where the fluid on the concrete is in relation to the car:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...pssnqi2lsm.jpg

Here's a pic of the amount of fluid. This is just from starting the car and pumping the brakes:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...psle04qstl.jpg

Comment

We'll probably drop the car off tomorrow and I'll mention that to them.
        I don't see any leaks around the actual master and regular brake reservoir.

The ABS reservoir did have some fluid on it, but I can't tell if that's from a leak, or if they were just messy when adding the dye.

Originally posted by 93accordexcoupe View Post
        It can leak from many different spots around the ABS reservoir. The fluid that runs through your master cyl runs through the ABS pump as well. Cant spot any leaks around it? Maybe remove the intake?

Comment

Working...
        X