Auto Transmission Mechanics Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto Transmission Mechanics Question

I have a question for you gurus out there...

I got into an argument with a buddy of mine. We were debating whether or not revving an automatic is bad or not.

This got brought up because I just got the TRD exhaust for my tC. He wanted to hear it after I installed it so I gave it a little rev to 3k. He wanted me to rev higher and I said that I wasn't interested in destroying my dd.

He claims that an auto in park or neutral when revved to redline won't have any damage to it. The damage can only occur to the engine if it goes past redline.

I called B.S. on this and did NOT do this. Just want to make that clear.

Out of curiosity, I'd like to know if this is true or not. Not that I would go and do this, but more of curiosity behind the mechanics. I have always heard that you shouldn't rev an automatic in park/neutral. However, I never actually knew the mechanics behind it.

Would there be any damage to the auto transmission by doing this?

edited to include the same question but about the transmission.
    Last edited by wlfpck; 01-20-2013, 07:11 PM. Reason: Edited to include transmission in the question
    my 91 cb7
    Originally posted by 4doorfury
    I swear, if I hit a raccoon I'll just keep pushing him, there's no way he's going to fit underneath the car

I think I remember seeing Deev make a post a couple months ago to a guy asking a similar question. Anyways he said that revving any car in park or neutral is not good as the engine isn't under load and you could destroy your engine bearings.

Comment

hm... That's interesting. I didn't think about that. Didn't think about the engine bearings.

Is there any down side for the auto transmission? I just figured that revving in neutral/park would just burn up the auto transmission fluid or something. That was the only explanation that I could think of that made sense with my limited knowledge.
      Last edited by wlfpck; 01-16-2013, 08:04 PM.
      my 91 cb7
      I swear, if I hit a raccoon I'll just keep pushing him, there's no way he's going to fit underneath the car

Comment

You will NOT damage the transmission by doing that..
        Not saying you will NOT look like a fool though

Comment

Lol. I did not do it and will not do it. I was just curious as to what mechanically could be damaging to the transmission which causes people to say that.
          my 91 cb7

Comment

I call bullshit on reving it in park, it should make no difference if there is a load or not. What are the bearings magically more stressed out by less of a load : headscratch:

I've reved my automatic in park and neutral, i've never had any issues with it.

Comment

Tippey, I dont think it was said that reving the car in park or neutral will damage the transmission bearings. IIRC what was said is that free reving the engine can damage the engine bearings. You kind of missed that he was talking about the engine and not the transmission.

IMO Reving an automatic in neutral or park wont damage anything in the transmission. But it can damage the engine.

Reving an auto just makes people look like a dumbass.
              Last edited by H311RA151N; 01-16-2013, 10:39 PM.

Comment

I'm referring to the engine in my first statement, i think its bullshit. There is no way in hell you're going to damage an engine because its not under load.

Comment

^^^ What? How do you figure that?

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
                    ^^^ What? How do you figure that?
                    Since yours is a more exaggerated claim, how do you explain why the engine would get damaged from free revving it? Why would the bearings be damaged? Why do they need a " load ".

A bearing should fit perfect and have 0 play, therefore if its oiled properly it shouldn't mater what forces are exerted upon it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
                      Since yours is a more exaggerated claim, how do you explain why the engine would get damaged from free revving it? Why would the bearings be damaged? Why do they need a " load ".

A bearing should fit perfect and have 0 play, therefore if its oiled properly it shouldn't mater what forces are exerted upon it.
                      Um, no. Your not doing that to me. I know how you are. You came in here calling bull shit. You explain your self.

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
                        Um, no. Your not doing that to me. I know how you are. You came in here calling bull shit. You explain your self.
                        I can't explain something i don't believe in. You need to explain why you think its going to damage the engine

You can't create a theory and then ask someone else to disprove it without giving any supporting details.

I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat

Disprove it without understanding anything about it.

Comment

agreed it wont damage anything, unless you accidentally drop it in drive
                          Originally posted by deevergote
                          Just do what PR CB7 said.

"I'm Going For Wood" (Clickey Clickey)

Comment

hey since theres well versed honda people paying attention here, what seals can i get to in a jdm auto/lsd before its in the shell. how hard is it to change the internal filter if i can even get to it relatively easy. any other refurbishment ideas/checks for it before its put back into service, also this by no means will be done in a shop nor access 2 1 easily, basically my uncle in laws corner of the kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
                              MRT
                              37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
                              30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
                              27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
                              Originally posted by Tippey764
                              Originally posted by deevergote
                              sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Working...
                              X