CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Parts & Performance > Technical

Old 03-19-2015, 10:57 AM   #1
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
Inexpensive fuel pump replacement?

I'm quite sure that my car needs a new fuel pump. I want to replace it as cheaply as possible, just to get my car back on the road.

Pumps on RockAuto range from $23 to $180. Some come with strainers, some require strainers. In doing some reading, it looks as if some strainers won't fit on some pumps... it's all far more confusing than I'd like it to be!
What is the absolute cheapest fuel pump I can install in my car, and what else will I need to make it work? I'm not expecting it to last a long time. I don't need it to.

Ideally, I could grab one of those $23 pumps. Get the car running. Then in the future, replace the entire tank (as I had been planning), and get a high quality pump in there in the process. The full tank/pump replacement is going to cost at least $500, and I just don't have that to throw at the CB at the moment.

deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:25 AM   #2
cb9love
CB7tuner Member

cb9love is cool... so far.
Here's a link for a source with cheap pumps with a 2 year warranty
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...OKsg_7HdrJJELw
Old 03-19-2015, 11:28 AM   #3
H311RA151N
Silver Member

H311RA151N seems to have made some friends! H311RA151N seems to have made some friends!
Spectra Premium pump from RockAuto for $25.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:31 PM   #4
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Have you used that one, Josh? That's pretty much what I'm looking for!
Would it just bolt in without anything special? I suppose that's my biggest concern. I don't want to buy something and discover I need to buy a bunch of other things to make it work. I don't even care if I simply reuse my old strainer. It's a temporary fix. I just want the car mobile again ASAP, so I can decide what my next step is!

I also see that they have a Spectra tank/pump/strap set for only $250! That's pretty damn reasonable for everything.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:24 PM   #5
H311RA151N
Silver Member

H311RA151N seems to have made some friends! H311RA151N seems to have made some friends!
I don't have a lot of time to go into detail right now but yes, I have installed one that was handed to me to put in a CB for someone and it did work and is still working.

As for direct replacement I believe I had to alter the wiring just a bit which sometimes happens.

I will be back on later when I have more time.

Last edited by H311RA151N; 03-20-2015 at 12:16 AM.
H311RA151N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:51 PM   #6
JunyAccord
Contributing Member

JunyAccord is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to JunyAccord Send a message via Yahoo to JunyAccord
I'm using the $23 rock auto fuel pump and it's working out so far for my J30
Old 03-19-2015, 07:25 PM   #7
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

Cool. I'd expect it would at least work for a while!

My biggest concern is installation. I really just want to see if I can simply slap it in, or if I have to modify things (like the wiring and such...)

It's something I'm going to want to do in a day. If I let it sit, it'll end up like my friend's car. We dropped his tank a year and a half ago... and haven't touched it since. His car, like mine, has turned into a toolbox.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:35 PM   #8
Flip-Eye
CB7tuner Member

Flip-Eye is cool... so far.
I replaced the failing pump in my 93 2 weeks ago. I went with the Spectra pump and strainer (sold separately but both were branded spectra)

I haven't driven the car more than around the block, so I can't speak for reliability, but the install itself was relatively straight forward, as there was no wiring modifying necessary.
Flip-Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:05 AM   #9
H311RA151N
Silver Member

I remembered the specifics a short time after getting off earlier. OEM has stud type electrical connectors with nuts and some aftermarket pumps have an electrical connector. The Spectra pump is OE style (studs) so no modification is needed.

An Accord that has had an aftermarket fuel pump assembly installed previously may have the connector style. Or if someone put a connector type aftermarket pump in. It's just my luck that I have ran across the connector style in about every Accord I have replaced a fuel pump on.

Last edited by H311RA151N; 03-20-2015 at 12:24 AM.
H311RA151N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:27 AM   #10
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

Awesome. So I should just be able to slap that one in and be good to go? The Spectra strainer is only $7, so I'll grab that as well (not much to get confused about there!)

Old 03-22-2015, 08:06 PM   #11
laz93se
ContributingMember

laz93se is cool... so far.
I have a used working pump if you want it deeve.

MRThttp://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=84102 93se h22/t2t4
laz93se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:10 PM   #12
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

Sure. How much? If it's less than $25, it'll be worth saving a few bucks for a temporary fix!

Old 03-22-2015, 08:12 PM   #13
laz93se
ContributingMember

Free , if you promise to put that cb back on the road.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:13 PM   #14
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

Hell yeah. Can't beat that!
With any luck, this is all it needs to run again. Then I just need a new door so I can have a working driver's side window again... and it's good to go! It'll be ugly... but mobile!

Old 03-22-2015, 08:16 PM   #15
laz93se
ContributingMember

You got a deal buddy.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:31 PM   #16
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

Thank you, sir!

Old 03-22-2015, 08:31 PM   #17
H311RA151N
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevergote View Post
Awesome. So I should just be able to slap that one in and be good to go? The Spectra strainer is only $7, so I'll grab that as well (not much to get confused about there!)
Whoops, sorry to leave you hangin'. But most of the time yes, you would be good to go. I made mention of the different pump connectors because it does sometimes happen. Or if your me, it happens more times than it doesn't happen.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:42 AM   #18
cb9love
CB7tuner Member

cb9love is cool... so far.
off topic:
whats wrong with the window on your drivers door.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:45 AM   #19
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

I replaced the motor/regulator years ago, and either the regulator was poorly designed, or I installed it incorrectly. It never worked properly. What I didn't realize is that while it was struggling up and down, it was also sawing away at the mounting holes with the bolt threads. The primary mounting holes on the door are now peanut-shaped. I tried securing a new regulator in there, but it won't work properly now. I need a new door with undamaged bolt holes (sadly, that inner skeleton is not removable from the door skin, I don't think!)
Sucks, since I have a custom paintjob that will need to be redone

Old 03-23-2015, 08:53 AM   #20
cp[mike]
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

cp[mike] is very helpful cp[mike] is very helpful cp[mike] is very helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevergote View Post
I replaced the motor/regulator years ago, and either the regulator was poorly designed, or I installed it incorrectly. It never worked properly. What I didn't realize is that while it was struggling up and down, it was also sawing away at the mounting holes with the bolt threads. The primary mounting holes on the door are now peanut-shaped. I tried securing a new regulator in there, but it won't work properly now. I need a new door with undamaged bolt holes (sadly, that inner skeleton is not removable from the door skin, I don't think!)
Sucks, since I have a custom paintjob that will need to be redone
you should find somebody with a small welder, and have them tack weld the bolts in place. if youre already planning on replacing the door, this doesn't seem so destructive. I could have an OEM regulator on its way to you for pretty cheap if you wanted one.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
- 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
- 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
- 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
- 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
- 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
- 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
- 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
Current cars:
- 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
- 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion
cp[mike] is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: