Fresh timing belt, NO power after 3k rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fresh timing belt, NO power after 3k rpm

So first time going to a shop ever. I'm 35 with kids now and no time. Also this is the first timing belt I've done on any of my 3 accords.

Shop told me I was 2 teeth off when I picked it up yesterday, they said it should run like a champ now... well I It runs like sh*t.. now.

Idle is great, revs great.. but sluggish as hell up to 3k and no power after 3k rpm, just loud and a little valve rattle... I can barely get it to 60.. I checked the ignition timing, and can't even see any marks untill I turn the little wheel on the timing gun to around 40-45... then I see a white cross.. no red marks or single whit marks. So I've left it alone..

So I know the timing is messed up and I'm gonna take it back tomorrow. I'm Curious what I should say or ask, point things out or no? Don't wanna get screwed here. I'll take all the knowledge I can get. Thanks

Can you take the upper timing cover off and see where the cam is positioned in relation to the crank? I would say take a pic and bring it to them, but they may accuse you of altering the timing cause you took the cover off. Maybe you can verify yourself at home, then convince the shop to "take a look" and show you the timing if it is off at all.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Make sure it didn't bend some valves.

If the timing is too far off, those pistons WILL beat on the valves as it's an interference engine. That means a full rebuild.

If the timing is that far off, I'm surprised it runs at all.

Did the shop replace the belt, and then give it back to you out of time? If so that warrants having them fix it, and finding a different shop that can actually do basic automotive maintenance.

Comment

I though about taking the valve cover off to have a look, but don't want them to accuse me of making the issue.. it's running so bad I think it's obvious they didn't even test drive it let alone verify timing marks on the flywheel..

They did both the timing belt and balance belt, all my seals, cam crank and balance shaft, new tensioner's and harmonic balancer.

It's like they slapped it all on and just parked it.. so very frustrating. The shop owner has bad ass eg and ek hatch's one with an H, so I figured no way they could screw this up...

I was assuming that it would line up the flywheel and ignition timing when they did the timing belt job!?

Comment

Do a compression test. If your timing is 40 something degrees out, your car should not run. Be mindful of the temperature gauge as well. Bad timing will make your car overheat very quickly, and could result in more severe damage.

Bring it back, and tell them it runs like dog shit. You'd think if they have all these Hondas, they'd know how to do a belt, water pump, etc. That's laziness or a novice did the work.

Comment

Yaa, maybe they let junior tackle it? I'm guessing they drove it out of the garage and didn't notice it sounding like shit? Ya, don't touch it. But take videos, pictures, etc!! Document everything incase this turns ugly.

Now you never want to go to a shop again right I hear ya....

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
              Yaa, maybe they let junior tackle it? I'm guessing they drove it out of the garage and didn't notice it sounding like shit? Ya, don't touch it. But take videos, pictures, etc!! Document everything incase this turns ugly.

Now you never want to go to a shop again right I hear ya....
              I wanted to do this job myself too... but in the middle of swapping a trans in my coupe, and a full suspension overhaul on my truck.. so I thought I'd let the pros tackle this job, and after 839$ you would think it would be good to roll..

Comment

Years ago my tensioner bolt came loose and mine jumped 2 teeth and it (F22A6) was totally fine when I re-timed the cam. No bent valves at all. I still to this day don't know what the limit is but if it was off by 2 you should be okay. That's too bad it's still not right but hopefully it'll be resolved.

Comment

your balance shafts are probably out of sync now too

Comment

you usually have to re-time the distributor after a timing belt.
                    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Working...
                    X