Moving out of state, leaving CB behind :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving out of state, leaving CB behind :(

Hey everyone. Been through a real rough patch lately and now with the added breakup between my girlfriend and I... I think its time for something new.

Alaska has been great but i need a break from my life here so i am moving to Montana in a week or two.

In the current market i can easily sell my CB for $2000 which is a nice chunk of moving change, especially since i currently have $75 to my name.
    But will be stuck riding a bike to work for some time when i move.

Would love more than anything to take my car. If i did i would be able to take my best friend (my dog) with me rather than leaving him with my ex. But i am far too scared to load it up and risk breaking down along the way.

Everything seems to be running tip top, but the suspension is in need of some refreshing and with my luck some other problem would arise... Plus I'd have to wait to get an enhanced ID to drive through Canada.

So as sad as I am to say it, I think the CB has to go. Might still stick around for the forum.
    Sad day.

RIP my last two CB7s.
    New rides:
    '82 Volvo 245 drift project
    '87 Volvo 244 daily
    Born2DieApparel.com

I'm sorry to hear that. Are you planning to leave the dog with your ex only temporarily?

Will you be working in the meantime, or can you do some small jobs to earn a little bit of income?

Don't you have other vehicles as well to consider if you're leaving the state?

Edit* You use "we" a lot in your car threads but never make mention of the vehicles being possessions of your ex-girlfriend. That tells me that they're yours but you consider them as projects for you to work on together for the purpose of ultimately using together. You sound invested in this relationship. I get that I'm basing a lot of assumptions off of a tendency that could be nothing, but I wonder if this could mean that this relationship isn't over for you and your actions now should consider that. Is this nothing that getting out for a period of time could seek to resolve? I don't mean to make it my business, but it could mean the difference in selling the car or not.
    Last edited by Jarrett; 03-20-2015, 04:31 PM.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

EDIT:I just realized when you mentioned a bike, I just assumed a motorcycle. Good luck with the move.

stuck riding a bike to work for some time when i move.

Last edited by Tishock; 03-22-2015, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Thanks for being so observant Jarrett. Yeah the Volvo is in her name and my CB is all I have left. After losing my job at the beginning of the year I've had a bit of other bad luck so I have sold most of my belongings already to pay rent. Only income at the moment is unemployment.
        I won't go into any details in a public forum but as much as I did have invested in the relationship... It is over for good and I do not wish to fix things. Long story short she did some really messed up shit to me.

The dog was ours, but has bonded more with me. Traveling on a plane with him would mean stuffing him under the seat in a pet carrier for an entire day and keeping him sedated because he has bad anxiety as is.

I want the car and the dog and want to be talked into taking both... But I think the smarter decision will be to leave them behind. As hard as it is.

RIP my last two CB7s.
        New rides:
        '87 Volvo 244 daily
        Born2DieApparel.com

Comment

you'll be surprised at what the CB is capable of handling. try to get a small loan. do some repairs. and take your dog and CB!

not sure on how the CB market is out there, but over here, once you buy a CB, it's your forever until you junk it or gets totaled, youll barely be able to sell it. no matter how mint it is as people prefer civics and integras.

Comment

I totally agree with him^^^^. try and bring the CB. idk much too say. really i do feel your pain. Keep your end up and stay positive.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo617 View Post
              you'll be surprised at what the CB is capable of handling. try to get a small loan. do some repairs. and take your dog and CB!

not sure on how the CB market is out there, but over here, once you buy a CB, it's your forever until you junk it or gets totaled, youll barely be able to sell it. no matter how mint it is as people prefer civics and integras.
              Yeah I know it is very capable and reliable but the Alaska Highway is a bitch. My OEM suspension is on the decline and I don't know enough about suspension to confidently diagnose what needs to be replaced and repair it on my own (though I know that you guys would assist on here).
              Also not so sure I'd have luck with a loan as I owe child support and my credit has been destroyed from my arrears.

And as far as selling it goes, I doubt I could get more for it anywhere other than Alaska. It has a rusty exhaust, small bit of rust in rear quarter panels, and a couple small dents and scratches... Which is expected with any car you buy up here. Posted it on Craigslist for $2100 last night and have had two people interested so far... Though I am holding off for the moment as I have errands and whatnot.

I'm sure I can find/afford a good CB in Montana eventually... I really look forward to the day I do.

I recently ran across a '97 Altima I sold before I bought the CB, owner has trashed it. Will try and sell it to someone who wont do that as this car has a special place in my heart.

RIP my last two CB7s.
              New rides:
              '87 Volvo 244 daily
              Born2DieApparel.com

Comment

Honestly, even if you get $2000 for you car, moving with that little of money is just asking for trouble. You will run through $2000 QUICK! Not to mention if you are not able to find a job right away. Save up some more money then move. You dont want to wind up car-less, and homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by Theos92VR4 View Post
                  Honestly, even if you get $2000 for you car, moving with that little of money is just asking for trouble. You will run through $2000 QUICK! Not to mention if you are not able to find a job right away. Save up some more money then move. You dont want to wind up car-less, and homeless.
                  This is good advice. But I moved to Alaska in a similar situation with $700 and survived. My younger brother is likely going to be getting me a job when I get there, it will be a low paying part time job... But it is a start.

On another note, any members on here in the Missoula, Montana area?
                  Last edited by TheFunk; 03-21-2015, 10:19 PM.

RIP my last two CB7s.
                  New rides:
                  '87 Volvo 244 daily
                  Born2DieApparel.com

Comment

I just drove through there this morning and seen a few cb's but they were pretty ratty to the ones you see on this site. Sorry for everything that has happened, wish you the best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by ol blue View Post
                      I just drove through there this morning and seen a few cb's but they were pretty ratty to the ones you see on this site. Sorry for everything that has happened, wish you the best of luck.
                      Thanks for that. Yeah I expect some rust but hopefully less than up here... At least there will be junkyards I can go to!

RIP my last two CB7s.
                      New rides:
                      '87 Volvo 244 daily
                      Born2DieApparel.com

Comment

The living situation when you get there is really important. How stable is it?

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
                          The living situation when you get there is really important. How stable is it?
                          Well I'll have a couch to crash on for a few weeks. Good people there.
                          Going to post an ad on Craigslist to help me get started on finding a room for rent. There are so many nice looking places that are dirt cheap compared to what I see on my local Craigslist.

RIP my last two CB7s.
                          New rides:
                          '87 Volvo 244 daily
                          Born2DieApparel.com

Comment

I'd try to bring the car. My suspension is SHOT and texas roads are shit and my CD7 is still chugging along. Just have to be EXTREMELY cautious of road hazards and stuff like that. I don't recommend driving across state lines in a car that isnt up to par, but mechanically speaking if the engine and trans are up to the task by all means take the car with you. And take your car to a local tire shop, not sure how it is in Alaska and they can diagnose your problems. Better than running around a busted suspension and not knowing what needs to be replaced.

I drove my CD7 loaded up to the gills with shit for a "friend" and drove all the way to Houston and back in one day (8 hour round trip for me) and did just fine. I just had to be more aware of my car, the road, and traffic.

Comment

I feel your pain man. I'm sorry you're going through a harsh time. Maybe ship your belongings and take that car for the drive of your life.
                              Originally posted by cb7dazz
                              And you're english is much better than some people on this board and it's their primary language.
                              Originally posted by Jarrett
                              ...for example

Comment

Working...
                              X