What happened to good, kind people?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happened to good, kind people?

Now don't think this is some post about me complaining about buying a car with busted suspension. But as a full college student(I'm a bio major with an 18hr load)...with no money (no spare cash to be exact) I can't afford to just jump and spring $600 on a set of coilovers and throw $200 more at my ball joints and tie rods etc.

So I took to the car community, you know asking for help basically or someone with spare springs laying around that they aren't using and aren't going to ever use. I mean I'm a broke student with EXTREMELY limited funds, and drive a car that's seemingly a little too unsafe now.

I make my Facebook post in a parts page hoping someone sees it and goes "damn this kid is struggling let me help him out" and just offer some advice or even donate some suspension parts because I can't afford them at the moment (come thru autozone -fingers crossed-).

I saw 26 people had seen the post yet no one replied. At that point I was a little discouraged but still optimistic plus I was only wondering if anyone would help me out. Not that that were obligated too. Then I saw 2 people make 2 more post asking about suspension parts and within seconds people were replying with the suspension parts they had and a price attached.

It just made me think, some people will only help others when there's something for them to gain as well. Broke kid asking for help so his only car doesn't kill him, everyone turns a blind eye but the moment something to gain comes into the picture everyone has something to offer.

I guess I'm just too nice though. If the tables had been turned or not even that. If I have something and someone is struggling to get by and I have something they can benefit from, I just give it to them. Clearly you need it more than me. But that's me, and I know everyone isn't like that.

Funny thing is I wasn't even asking for lowering springs or coilovers or anything in particular. Just a spare set of springs could've been oem or not I wouldn't have cared. My shocks/struts are beyond gone, and my tie rods (inner/outer) control arms (upper/lower) and ball joints are bad. Beggars can't be choosers. I've even entertained the idea of using GoFundMe until I get a job but I don't even see the point in that.

There are lots of good people left in the world. Sadly, the internet is the last place you're usually going to find them. Especially on Facebook, where everyone is practically anonymous. It's easy to ignore someone that needs help. Why? Because people would rather argue, show off, or troll.
    I spend much of my time on Facebook. Far too much of it in the CB7tuner group, TRYING to keep it in order. Most of the time, I find myself correcting bad information (and getting insulted for it), asking for clarification on a post that is completely unintelligible (and getting insulted for it), or trying to keep attention whores and trolls from taking over (...and getting insulted for it.) Never have I see such a blatant lack of respect for others as I have seen on Facebook.

As for your issue, I'd say pick up some Moog ball joints and a set of "quick struts". If you can find some way to scrape together $300 or so, you can refresh your car's suspension so that it's at least not completely unsafe. It sucks, but an accident is going to be a LOT more expensive!

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about your situation ThatOneAccord. Sometimes what happens is the people who try to be nice and who give things away run into issues trying to do so which deters the likelihood of them doing so in the future. I'm by no means considering myself a nice person but I have done nice things automotive related more times than once. I once over night a TCU to a US military member which had to be back on base in less than 24 hours which cost me around $175 just to ship, not that I'm complaining nor really care about the money. I wanted to support the guy the best I could. And I've never seen him on here nor heard from him since the day he received it. He's busy out fighting for my freedom, that's much more important to me than a TCU or $175.

It's hard being nice sometimes. But there are more people willing to help than you think. I have had several sets of OEM struts/springs and I couldn't give them away at that time, If I still had them I'd give them to you. There are more around here that would do the same, I'm sure.
      Last edited by H311RA151N; 02-16-2015, 08:48 PM.

Comment

If you want people to help, you need to get some good connections and start helping them. I tutored someone in AutoCAD and as it turned out we have a common interest in cars and the like, and became good friends too. He was a proffessional body worker in his past and this summer is going to do a $3000 body repair and paint job for only the price of paint and my assistance and we will be doing his other 2 vehicles as well. I helped another class mate with moving into a new apartment and met her husband who is a mechanic. He is going to help me with some of the more labor intensive jobs since I have a fear of working under a car on stands. I have accumulated so many un-used favors through out my life time. Just start meeting new people and be willing to help out if they ask like moving or helping paint house, etc.
        Last edited by XCRN; 02-16-2015, 08:51 PM.
        Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

I have helped out with parts for just the cost of shipping many times for other vehicles. It does make it a bit hard to give when you turn around and see that member listing that item for sale on another forum or ebay. I would take the risk of helping you if I had the parts you need but I don't have the parts you need. Hope someone can help you.

1991 Accord LX .

Comment

None of your parts are listed here, but it's worth a shot to send fleetwood a PM.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=192583
            Originally posted by Mishakol129
            Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

ive seen people help out like that here on this site all the time, but never on facebook (unless they knew each other in advance)

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
              - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
              - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
              Current cars:
              - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
              - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
                ive seen people help out like that here on this site all the time, but never on facebook (unless they knew each other in advance)
                Yep, it happens.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=198389
                Originally posted by Mishakol129
                Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

There's more of a kinship on the forum. On Facebook, people suck.

There are probably people I like on here that I don't get along with on Facebook. Strangely enough, I'd probably be more willing to help out "blackcb71991ex" than I would "Dave Smith".

Comment

i only help local people...but ill see what i have in my parts bin. i think i have a new set of sway bar end links.
                    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

I don't have much let in the way of new parts, but I'll look.
                      1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Woah, thanks guys and Deev for suggesting the moog parts. And what are quick struts? I'm assuming they're just a set of used OEM struts?

I figured that people would be a little less in a "giving" mood over Facebook because well you don't know/trust anyone. But I was kinda at my wits end there. I just wanted some help or direction. Probably should've came here first lol. I forgot how close-knit this community/forum was.

And I'm not comining here to beg or anything like that. I just wanted to vent a bit, the kindness on this board is amazing.

The thing is I've been looking for a job..kinda on and off really because my school schedule is so heavy it doesn't leave much time for work. This semester I've taken some of my classes online to help eliviate that issue and give me more time too work. I hate being broke all the time and needing/wanting to do stuff and not being able to. Albeit because of school or money. College life just sucks lol

Comment

When I get my income tax I'm getting a coil overs and going 5 lug if guy doesn't sell by then. I just need to fill it out already lol.

When I get this stuff installed and you still want,
                          Just pay shipping I'll send you kyb AGX adj. dampening shocks with red neuspeed springs and I just installed moog lower bj's balljoint a mo. Ago. I won't need once I get the 5 lug which also comes with agx's and tein springs.

Comment

i don't like people selling stuff on my facebook, if i wanted to see that shit then ill look on craigslist or check the wanted section here.

ive unfriended people because of too many baby pictures too.
                            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by STREET-SPEC View Post
                              When I get my income tax I'm getting a coil overs and going 5 lug if guy doesn't sell by then. I just need to fill it out already lol.

When I get this stuff installed and you still want,
                              Just pay shipping I'll send you kyb AGX adj. dampening shocks with red neuspeed springs and I just installed moog lower bj's balljoint a mo. Ago. I won't need once I get the 5 lug which also comes with agx's and tein springs.
                              That would be amazing. Stay in touch. I'll most likely will have had some money saved up by then hopefully.

Comment

Working...
                              X