A little food for thought on this trend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
    I'm not older by any means and I can't stand the stance movement. I doubt those cars will still be on the road.

Slapping wheels that are too big with tires that are too small aren't "tuning"
    I was about to say the same thing in regards to age.

I don't hate the stance thing. I don't even think it looks bad in general but I'll say that I wouldn't do it. It's the typical person doing it that I can't stand. I will say again, typical person.

Like a mosquito, you don't hate it because of what it is. You hate it because of what it does. A stanced car is just another car for the most part. But when your behind a stanced car that slows down to 15mph in a 45 to go through an intersection with bumps it's an inconvenience. That in it's self may make one upset. It's not pleasant to be inconvenienced. However, the driver choosing to make it happen is what makes a person aggravated. The cause of the situation is not the car, it's the driver. But still yet the vehicle is commonly associated with the unpleasant experience and therefore people acquire a detest for it.

If I'm driving down the road and I come up behind a vehicle driving slowly with it's flashers on I don't get aggravated at the driver because their vehicle has a mechanical issue. It was not their choice. I'm still inconvenienced and that isn't pleasant but the cause, the true cause and true reason makes all the difference as to how you feel.

Comment

It's all a rebellion. 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's. The only issue now is that we have the internet and "fads" spread like wildfire. Like the other fads everyone has mentioned they will keep coming, and some will disappear. It's not research through magazines anymore. The difference is the generation of people who are doing it.

Seems that there is no limit to the amount people will do to try and fit in. Afraid to be themselves and be original too. They smear their ride in these fads to show it off to others to be liked. We have a small meet every year and there are some who simply have a ride, do what they want and only what they like (engine, seats, pin-stripe, type of exhaust, etc.) Respectful and functional mods that is an obvious reflection of who they are. And then we have those members who have no idea who they want to be and smear their car with random mods they seen someone else do and then brag about it (JDM everything, bumper hanging doll/dice, etc, JDM stickers, 10K HIDs, stickers on their window to things they don't own). = attention seekers.

All we can do is try to raise our kids to not be such idiots

Comment

I think the next fad should be dangerous and inconvenient stickers on the front wind shield.

Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

Originally posted by XCRN View Post
          I think the next fad should be dangerous and inconvenient stickers on the front wind shield.

I actually had somebody say something about a few small stickers in the back window of my truck because they weren't diagonal? Go figure it was a subaru owner. The stickers were from products I owned and were actually installed on the vehicle.

So they should be diagonal, they should also say made up words in cursive, and nobody should have any variation in sticker variety or quantity. Fit in or die!

As for stanced vehicles becoming classics, or something to remember the tuner scene by... I very much doubt you'll actually see many running around In the future due to increased maintenance and tire wear. A few dedicated people will keep them in their garage but I don't anticipate it catching on again.

Crazier things have happened though, I mean I know a guy who owns a lowered 69 Shelby GT350, a signed Shelby Mustang with a Ken Bell supercharger that's been converted from manual to automatic, and he's currently trying to twin turbo an NA 300ZX instead of just selling it and buying a factory TT model. People will always surprise you and do dumb stuff.

Comment

So if I had a stanced, patina, sticker bombed, rusted car I'd be in magazines? Well shit, I'm 3/4 the way there.

Comment

The issues that the older tuners have with "stance" isn't a matter of style. It is a matter of safety.

Even a "stanced" car that is on a high quality suspension setup (it now seems that most are not...) is still running on the inner sidewalls of dangerously stretched tires, while riding on wheels that are such a low offset that they are putting the wheel bearings under stress that they were never designed for. Most of the wheels used are also fairly inexpensive, low quality cast wheels (that are also being used in a manner for which they were not designed.)

Yes, many of the guys judging were street racing in their younger days. And no, that was no smarter. However, most of those guys grew up, learned, and realized their mistakes. They are now sharing their wisdom with the younger crowd. Granted, those people tend to forget that they ignored the advice given to them by oldschool muscle car guys that advised against street racing... just as those muscle car guys ignored the advice given to them by the old hotrod guys. It's a neverending cycle... youth ALWAYS knows more than experience.

The big difference with "stance" when compared to street racing, however, is that the "stanced" car is dangerous during daily driving. The street racer is only a danger to the public (and themselves) when they're actually racing. This is regarding the trend... not saying all street raced cars are modified and maintained to be safe... but the street racing trend itself did not require unsafe modifications.

A "stanced" car simply rolling down the highway is going to be unsafe. The wheels and tires are not made for the way in which they are used. The wheels, suspension, and tires are very often low quality. The maintenance of those components is often overlooked... "my tires are fine!" until they blow one out because they didn't see the belts showing on the inner sidewall!

So I fully disagree with the original post. Sure, SOME people will be paying homage to this idiotic trend... but the majority of serious tuners will likely be embarrassed to recall the trend, whether they participated in their younger days or not. A greater understanding and appreciation of safety comes with age and maturity... usually, anyway.

I originally thought stanced cars looked cool. In magazines. At car shows. With high-end parts that likely was never driven more than a few hundred yards, likely on private property, rather than public roads.
              After seeing "stanced" cars that are riding on dangerous suspension components, worn cheap tires, cheap wheels, and poor maintenance... yeah, I have nothing but hatred for the "trend".
              You're better off doing heroin. At least when you go, you're probably not taking anyone else with you!

Comment

And this is on a Lexus IS250 that is stuffed with expensive parts. Not some kid in a $500 Honda with less than $1000 sunk into his entire suspension/wheel/tire setup.

Comment

Maybe the stance movement is different in each region? I don't see too many cars in Dallas that are extremely stanced and cambered out or have stretched wheels. I see cars lowered, tucked and flush. I have seen show cars that were EXTREMELY stanced and were just outrageous. I guess because in Texas our roads and drivers aren't the best, no one wants to be fully stanced out. There are a few that do it, but majority don't. And it's the imports that tuck and do the whole hellaflush look. The Europeans tuck on nice wheels. The idiots stance rust buckets.

I guess I made this evaluation based off of what I've seen personally. And I know each area is different. Hell Arlington, Dallas, and FT. Worth all have vastly different tuning styles. The stance kids are in Arlington, hella flush in Ft. Worth, and Dallas gets what's left over and ricers.
                  Last edited by ThatOneAccord; 03-17-2015, 04:51 PM.

Comment

One area where practically every modified import has its wheels sticking out as if they were planning on travelling into the future ( that would be this year... ) has roads that look like this:
                    (sorry for the huge pic... it was the most accurate.)

This is Paterson, NJ. The majority of the roads in this town are in this condition. Some better, some far worse. I see stanced Civics, Accords, and TLs on the regular.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                      One area where practically every modified import has its wheels sticking out as if they were planning on travelling into the future ( that would be this year... ) has roads that look like this:
                      (sorry for the huge pic... it was the most accurate.)

[IMG[/IMG]

This is Paterson, NJ. The majority of the roads in this town are in this condition. Some better, some far worse. I see stanced Civics, Accords, and TLs on the regular.
                      Lol, yeah TX roads suck for other reasons. Random dips in roads with speed limits of 75 suck, and so does the rough pavement they tend to use in South TX, North TX has more potholes and construction related issues in the Metroplex.
                      Gary A.K.A. Carter
                      [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

LOL @ whoever hits that pothole in a stanced car. Imagine hitting on at night on the highway with a stanced car.....

rim = bye bye

& I have never seen a stanced car in NS, Canada. Roads are horrible here.

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man View Post
                          Lol, yeah TX roads suck for other reasons. Random dips in roads with speed limits of 75 suck, and so does the rough pavement they tend to use in South TX, North TX has more potholes and construction related issues in the Metroplex.
                          Holy mother of god those roads are terrible!!! I wouldn't even want a regular on those roads. And yes the random dips on the highways get me every time! I drive I-20 east for school A LOT and I never get over all the dips and the speed limit is 75mph. My car and it's shot suspension can only handle so many dips at a time. It's terryifing. Not so much in other cars tho.

We have the worst textured roads imo in southern Dallas. Like cedar hill, desoto, duncanville. Those roads are nice, outside of that Im just like wtf. You're so right about north Texas and those drivers are crazy!! I HATE drive to NorthPark mall because of the rich idiots out there that drive like they're the only ones on the road.

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneAccord View Post
                            Holy mother of god those roads are terrible!!! I wouldn't even want a regular on those roads. And yes the random dips on the highways get me every time! I drive I-20 east for school A LOT and I never get over all the dips and the speed limit is 75mph. My car and it's shot suspension can only handle so many dips at a time. It's terryifing. Not so much in other cars tho.

We have the worst textured roads imo in southern Dallas. Like cedar hill, desoto, duncanville. Those roads are nice, outside of that Im just like wtf. You're so right about north Texas and those drivers are crazy!! I HATE drive to NorthPark mall because of the rich idiots out there that drive like they're the only ones on the road.
                            Come to southwest Texas and I'll show you some really badly textured roads.
                            Gary A.K.A. Carter
                            [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

I hate it. In my opinion, it looks stupid. I have never drove a car like that but I'm sure it rides funny and I would be scared of it on wet roads. Some cars have a contact patch equal to a bicycle tire. I also feel that it is stupid to have your tires wear out on the inside in about 10,000 miles but still have 90% tread on the rest of the tire. This opinion is on tilted wheels. I would also not run stretched tires on my car but do have to admit I like the look. I just wouldn't trust them to stay on the rim if I hit a pot hole.

1991 Accord LX .

Comment

10,000 miles? Try 100 or less in some cases.

I've had a CB with -3.8* camber in the front and couldn't even get close to 10,000 miles on a set of tires. I think I made it 6000.

Comment

Working...
                                X