A little food for thought on this trend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little food for thought on this trend

So I know how a majority of the older crowd does not like the stanced out, negative camber, oh my god is your car broken trend right now. But I was doing some thinking, and in 10-15 maybe even 20 years (if gasoline is still a thing, and older cans are still on the road) you'll still see cars running around stanced out. Mostly older classic cars, 1990-2010 spec cars rocking that look as homage to car tuning. Idk I'm too high to finish this too...

trends tend to recycle every 20 years or so...i have some honda tuning mags from the early 2000's and looking thru them now, that cool stuff is now tacky, but the actual cool stuff makes it thru the gauntlet..lets bring back rear window louvers

the stretched tires trend ripped off an old F1 racing trick from the 70s to adhere to the tire rules but get a lower profile tire (since they didnt even make those at that time)

Comment

You can't credit "stance" for saving the import car modifying hobby when it hasn't done it yet. We're still in the present. It's a trend. It will go away when the next big one catches on. I was JDM everything before this and body kits with neon lights before that. You don't need to justify it to anyone. Those who find fault in it could care less about the good it does. Those people are more concerned with the safety risk and reduced functionality.
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

I'm not older by any means and I can't stand the stance movement. I doubt those cars will still be on the road.

Slapping wheels that are too big with tires that are too small aren't "tuning"

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

I'm straight up function over form. If there was any way that small stretched out tires on large rims with aggressive camber was functional, I'd be all for it. I do realize that in racing there is use of + camber and caster and different tire to rim sizes.... However, 99% of the tuner cars don't have any function in mind when they do there suspension mods. It's all for looks.

Who knows if any of these cars will survive another 20 years. I'm sure there will still be people building them, but my money is on purists rebuilding them with modest mods vs people slamming them with aggressive camber and larger rims.
          MR Thread
          GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

You know what I have noticed, sticker bombing is starting to fade. It is still strong but not nearly as much as it was. So hopefully the excessive camber and stretched tires are soon to follow.
            Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

Its just a fad that will replaced by the newest thing just like body kits, altezza lights, all black/murdered out, rusted out hoods or shoshinsha marks.
              FA1

Comment

The question now is this: what is coming down the fad pipeline next? Could it be full stock restorations? Probably not, due to the money involved, but it is a good question.
                *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
                ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
                ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
                "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
                Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
                The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
                Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

I find it funny that body kits and aggressive bumpers/skirts have already made a noticeable comeback. Not so much the cheap universal designs that were stamped out for every car make, but obviously the expensive parts out of Japan are a big deal with the higher-end import crowd right now. Rocket Bunny/Tra Kyoto/Liberty Walk, Varis, Aimgain, etc. Body kits are classy now, lol.

Stock restorations I could actually see happening. Probably not in the next five years, but not far off. A lot of the popular sport compacts are becoming old enough to be considered classics.

But even show cars these days are doubling as "dyno queens." Pulling serious power out of their engines just so the bay can be shown off at the big shows too.
                  Last edited by CyborgGT; 03-15-2015, 05:47 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by af_1132 View Post
                    The question now is this: what is coming down the fad pipeline next? Could it be full stock restorations? Probably not, due to the money involved, but it is a good question.
                    Well that is sort of here with the stance crowd. It seems like in that crowd there is 2 trains of thoughts, one is sticking whatever gaudy crap they find in their garbage and call it a piece of art. While on the other side of the spectrum of stance they do a full out resto-mod. Everything is brought back to pristine condition and some serious work went into these cars. I do not like the choice of suspension but at least there are some who will actually take care of everything else and not cheap out with anything.

Comment

Patina is the upcoming fad. Patina is keeping your vehicle looking old with warn paint and rust preserved. You will notice that custom car shops are starting to go this route. I proud to say that my CB7 is already rocking this trend. LOL.

1991 Accord LX .

Comment

Originally posted by DAKOTADEMON7 View Post
                        Patina is the upcoming fad. Patina is keeping your vehicle looking old with warn paint and rust preserved. You will notice that custom car shops are starting to go this route. I proud to say that my CB7 is already rocking this trend. LOL.
                        Patina is far from becoming a fad. It's already been a fad...maybe because I'm an ACVW person too, patina is just tired to me. I've seen it on everything, even 2012+ Volkswagen beetles. Albeit it's faux patina, but they are capturing the essence of the patina look.

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneAccord View Post
                          Patina is far from becoming a fad. It's already been a fad...maybe because I'm an ACVW person too, patina is just tired to me. I've seen it on everything, even 2012+ Volkswagen beetles. Albeit it's faux patina, but they are capturing the essence of the patina look.
                          Come on man ! I'm trying to convince myself that my CB7 is following a trend and is cool with its rust and warn paint. Lol.

1991 Accord LX .

Comment

And again guys with the function over form. FWD Econobox, tall wings, and agressive body kits. What performance gains are there? That is what most of the old heads use to rock back in their late teens and early 20s. I'm sure the crowd before you were just as confused as you are about the stance movement. Which isnt that bad. The stanced out cars aren't out there street racing (at least I haven't seen any) they aren't doing much damage to anything really. They take it nice and slow on the road and follow road rules vs the guys who build their engines and use functional suspension.

While it does look rather silly, it's a look that will prove to be timeless and Classic amongst the tuning crowd. Most of the stanced out cars I've seen have been restomods. I would not put it past a young 20 something to take a car from this era and stance it out as a throwback to former tuning aesthetic look, which is all it is guys.

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneAccord View Post
                              The stanced out cars aren't out there street racing (at least I haven't seen any) they aren't doing much damage to anything really. They take it nice and slow on the road and follow road rules vs the guys who build their engines and use functional suspension.
                              I strongly disagree with that statement. Today on my way to lunch there was a stanced Miata who was driving like a total ass-hat. Swerving in and out of lanes, speeding, just reckless driving in general. He is not the first one I have seen it. Living back in WA there were numerous stanced vehicles, mainly Subarus, exhibiting the same behavior with total disregard to others.

Now I am not saying all do this, but there are those who do so they are not any more innocent than the other auto crowds out there.

Comment

Working...
                              X