INT : Power to manual window conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INT : Power to manual window conversion

Ok so i had been playing with the idea of converting my car from power to manual windows(i know is a weird idea but i love me some manual windows) and seems that i just like some people here were under the impression that it would be easier to replace the whole door that just the regulators. Today i was at the junkyard and realized all the holes are there to swap over, all you need are the manual regulators, the new door panels and it takes 6 10mm bolts in the rear doors and about 8 for the front doors.

[/URL]

To remove old regulator on rear door you remove these 6bolts plus the two bolting the window to the regulator.

[/URL]

once you get the regulator out, these are the manual regulators going in.

[/URL]

Finally you install the manual regulator using the three original mounting bolts but the crank moves from the circle which is where the motor used to be to the new mounting location for the crank(all the mounting holes are provide in the door from factory so no drilling needed), last fasten the window back to the regulator and test out the window. in case the window is out of the channel loosen the 10mm bolt to the bottom left of the crank to allow the channel to move so you can get it back in the track. Spray some silicone in the rubber channel to lubricate and you should be in business.

Front should be to come as the front regulators had a bit too much play for my liking and opted out of buying them but one look and you can see where all the mountng locations are in the front door as well.
    Last edited by Crankshaft; 01-03-2017, 04:28 PM.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

are you trying to make a racecar or something? i can understand manual to power, but the other way around seems illogical in a family sedan? good information though!
    sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

Manual windows

I did it for two reasons:
      1. I had thought about it and wondered how hard would it be and so did other folks in older threads and suggestions were that it would be better to change the whole door etc. So I decided to be Clerk and Luis (get it) and do it for myself and those who were wondering as well.

2. Cb7 in its majority suffer from the rear windows going out and not rolling up all the way coupled with slow rolling windows(mine included) and this gives a option to spending money on cheap Chinese parts that you will have to replace again in a year. Plus my rear windows were shut in place by non functional regulators since 2014.

Comment

I never got the reasoning that "oh manual is more reliable" Thats phooey. It's the same mechanism just with a manual gearbox instead of an electric motor. In my experience the few failures I've had, the regulator broke not the electric motor itself. And to add to that, in another vehicle the manual crank is going out, looks like the gearbox itself is failing as the crank handle just wobbles all around. I got power stuff ready to go in to replace it.
        1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
          I never got the reasoning that "oh manual is more reliable" Thats phooey. It's the same mechanism just with a manual gearbox instead of an electric motor. In my experience the few failures I've had, the regulator broke not the electric motor itself. And to add to that, in another vehicle the manual crank is going out, looks like the gearbox itself is failing as the crank handle just wobbles all around. I got power stuff ready to go in to replace it.
          Growing up i got to see my dad replace countless window motors because manufacturers used plastic balls inside the motor for the drive to engage and operate the window, cheap and common fix once the plastic bb were worn or non existant was to drill a whole in the case and get bb's in there for the motor to engage; this practice was used when people just could not afford or would not pay for a new motor. I have gotten to see manual regulators with play; hence why i did not get the front regulators this past weekend and bad cranks as you stated, we however cannot deny that our CB's have a reputation for the rear motors weakening and not rolling up all the way and motors rolling up windows very slow. I guess you are going in the opposite direction as me then if you are going from manual to power.

Comment

Yea I'm going power windows and locks in my C10. Gets tiring when you can't easily reach the passenger side to roll down the window or unlock the door. I could see it being less of an issue in a smaller car. or maybe I'm just lazy?
            1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
              Yea I'm going power windows and locks in my C10. Gets tiring when you can't easily reach the passenger side to roll down the window or unlock the door. I could see it being less of an issue in a smaller car. or maybe I'm just lazy?
              My GMC sierra has manual door locks, seats and windows and it was the reason why i bought it over similar trucks that i saw, i honestly think that it is up to preference; i remember looking thru here and saw more than one person wondering on how hard would the swap be to do and being in the JY i decided to do it to offer options.

Comment

Working...
              X