X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering wheel retains turning memory

Hi guys long time no post
    anyways im having some steering issues
    first off i dont have PS..the lines have been looped for 4+ years (probably the problem)
    SOMETIMES the wheel will be turned to the left and im going straight no pulling;
    OR SOMETIMES it will be to the right or maybe even sometimes straight.
    and i have checked all steering components everything is tight and i had an alignment 3 months ago
    so my conclusion has came to internal issues in the steering rack maybe?
    any input or comments help -Thanks!!
    -Tyler

So from what I understand you can turn the steering wheel without the wheels moving? Is that correct?

Looks like it's time for a new rack..might be worth going back to ps
    sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

I've always advocated that of you get rid of power steering, you need to convert to a manual rack. There is so much involved with steering tuning. Getting rid of the assist does not make the steering "feel better". Without going into a long explanation of steering tuning, without the assist on you've added a lot of steering damping. In fact, you've introduced so much damping to the system the scrub radius and tire friction is no longer strong enough to return the steering back to center. You may be able to flush the old fluid out of the rack and replace it with new stuff if you wanted to continue running no assist. Increasing your caster would increase your mechanical trail giving the RSAT (residual self aligning torque) enough strength to return the steering to center. You said you had an alignment done, but they likely only checked toe, which will not cause the steering to stick, you would want to validate caster and camber.
      Last edited by Domesticated; 07-23-2016, 09:31 PM.
      '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

I was going to say it sounds like he needs a stronger "return to center." I think this guy summed it up quite nicely.

How far to the left or right are we talking? a few degrees or 90+ degrees?

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

@domesticated : that makes sense. i dont think they make a manual rack for accords, though. the wheels move when the steering wheel does, the play i believe is internally. i had the wheels up off the ground yesterday moving everything around and all the balljoints and tie rod ends are practically new. but the return to center part is what im talking about yes it could be off by as much as 45 degrees sometimes!! would i be able to reintroduce the power steering system and fix it? or like you said flush out the old fluid? i think im going to have to invest in a new rack theyre like 100 bucks from detroitaxle.
          -Tyler

Comment

Working...
          X