Distributor shaft seal replacement, shaft damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Distributor shaft seal replacement, shaft damage

I pulled my factory distributor apart that I remove from the car late last year due to the shaft seal leaking. I bought a remanufactured replacement and set the ignition timing just to get by. The distributor I bought was super cheap and I wanted to only use it temporarily until I could rebuild the factory one. Today when I took it apart the seal came out stuck to the shaft. The shaft is also burnt and I can feel some damage. Not a lot. I think I could get by with cleaning it up with some emery paper but before I waste my time I wanted to get some opinions or previous experiences from you guys.

Wait... Where did you find that number?
    Originally posted by Mishakol129
    Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

I had that seal for about a year now. It's hard to say but I'm sure I could find out.

Is it wrong or what? Wouldn't be the first mistake I've made.

Edit...

Here you go. It appears to fit correctly. Everything seems correct... Been since November since I bought it.

Last edited by H311RA151N; 08-14-2017, 07:07 PM.

Comment

I took some emery paper too it. Surprisingly it cleaned up well. And nothing can be felt deformation wise on the shaft.

Comment

I, and most of this forum, have always been under the impression that the inner seal wasnt available from Honda.

Comment

That shaft looks like it cleaned up well enough.

Djender, I was also under that impression for a long time however did see the part number pop up around here at some point. I don't know who had it but my best guess would have been you. Guess not. The funny thing is looks like that set has both the easy to find o ring and the other.
            Last edited by cb7 calling; 08-14-2017, 08:03 PM.
            ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

I say run it. I'd hit it with something finer, but it looks good to me.

Comment

I agree with F22Chris, I would use something a lot finer; you don't want that surface eating up the inside diameter of your purdy new seal.

It might be too big, but when I try to clean up shafts I mount them in my drill (if I can) and use up to 1500 grit with some oil on it. Then clean it real well.

Take a good look at the internal wires; the last one I tried to do this to had all sorts of cracks in the wiring insulation. I replaced the whole thing.
                90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by cb7 calling View Post

Djender, I was also under that impression for a long time however did see the part number pop up around here at some point. I don't know who had it but my best guess would have been you. Guess not. The funny thing is looks like that set has both the easy to find o ring and the other.
                  We've known about the NOK #, but not the specific number for an OEM replacement. Yes, I know NOK is an OEM manufacturer.

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ender View Post
                    I, and most of this forum, have always been under the impression that the inner seal wasnt available from Honda.

Originally posted by dj_ender View Post
                    We've known about the NOK #, but not the specific number for an OEM replacement. Yes, I know NOK is an OEM manufacturer.

Ok, so I see what the seller did. They threw a NOK BH3888-E seal in a genuine Honda 30110-PA1-732 bag and heat sealed one end. 30110-PA1-732 is a part number for the o-ring.

In the listing it was Brand: WD express. Not Genuine Honda. http://www.ebay.com/itm/DISTRIBUTOR-...item283062bd8b

I was surprised. I think I'll clean it up some more but yeah, very impressed.

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                    I say run it. I'd hit it with something finer, but it looks good to me.
                    I'm going to hit it with something finer like you said. It won't hurt. I didn't expect it to clean up that well.

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                    I agree with F22Chris, I would use something a lot finer; you don't want that surface eating up the inside diameter of your purdy new seal.

It might be too big, but when I try to clean up shafts I mount them in my drill (if I can) and use up to 1500 grit with some oil on it. Then clean it real well.

Take a good look at the internal wires; the last one I tried to do this to had all sorts of cracks in the wiring insulation. I replaced the whole thing.
                    Yeah, I don't want to eat up a new seal. That's for sure. I think the shaft may fit in my Milwaukee. Good idea.

I've had that issue before. Brittle wires.

Comment

Now we are at the bottom. Good read.
                      ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

Now we are at the bottom. Good read.
                        Hopefully it works. I cleaned it up with some really fine emery paper.

Comment

Working...
                        X