Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Ideas for AWD CBs! Motors? Drivetrains?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
    It is OBD2, so you'd never be able to use a proper ECU for it unless you convert your car's wiring to OBD2
    Why would you even want to use an OEM ECU? I would say if you are already doing such an extensive project, you might as well swap the engine management for a MegaSquirt or VEMS or DIYPNP or something (and all of those are kind of the same thing, just in a different package...)

Atleast here in Finland you don't need to have functional OBD-ports for cars that were originally registered before 1.1.2001, and if in the US they check the OBD from older cars too then you could just install the aftermarket ECU parallel to the OEM one.
    MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=197342

Comment

An OEM ECU is properly calibrated for the engine. If it's not heavily modified, the OEM ECU is by far the best option. It is also MUCH cheaper (which is why sparky here is looking at the F20B from that shady engine seller in the first place... because it's cheaper than the H22A by a small amount.)

An aftermarket fuel management system would need to be properly tuned for the engine, which requires expensive equipment, detailed knowledge, and access to a dyno to do correctly... and if any of that is lacking, it will also involve the expense of hiring someone to do the tuning!

Different areas of the US have different requirements. California is one of the strictest areas, and it's very difficult to legalize a swap at all, let alone custom engine management systems.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzAhdUBBYI4 just save up and get one.

Comment

This thread isn't about getting a new car, though. It's about modifying a CB7.

Comment

An OEM ECU is properly calibrated for the engine. If it's not heavily modified, the OEM ECU is by far the best option. It is also MUCH cheaper (which is why sparky here is looking at the F20B from that shady engine seller in the first place... because it's cheaper than the H22A by a small amount.)

An aftermarket fuel management system would need to be properly tuned for the engine, which requires expensive equipment, detailed knowledge, and access to a dyno to do correctly... and if any of that is lacking, it will also involve the expense of hiring someone to do the tuning!
            It's a pretty common thing here to use MegaSquirt, since it was designed and built to be used as a DIY application in all kinds of engines. In the most basic sense the only things you'll need are the kit to build it and a laptop with Windows to connect to it. Of course dyno runs are necessary but I would think they always are when tuning an engine (especially here since you often need to provide dyno forms to pass MOT with a "home made engine" which for example an aftermarket turbo'd engine would classify as).

Or maybe it's just me being OCD about tweaking all the smallest details of how the engine runs in any given situation...
            MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=197342

Comment

It'd be a good option in the hands of someone that knows how to use it, or at least someone that can afford to have it properly tuned. Some OBD1 parts would still likely be necessary, such as the distributor.

Overall, the F20B isn't as cheap an option as people think it is... and that is usually the main reason people pick it over the H22A. The other reason is that they want to be different...

Comment

Adapting the F22B to the Mitsu trans would be nuts

I would say use Honda's RT-AWD but that has a host of other problems

Originally posted by lordoja
                im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

I don't think it'd take much more than an adapter plate to mate it to the engine, honestly. The engine just turns. As long as the input shaft is compatible (and that can be made to be so), then all will be fine. Modifying the rest of the car would be the hard part... and doing so in a way that allows everything to fit, without thoroughly compromising the integrity of the entire chassis.

Comment

I remember somewhere reading about a guy doing an awd project with an integra . He used the drive line out of a crv. Might be a another option if your serious about doing this.

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Comment

Originally posted by vh22accord View Post
                      I remember somewhere reading about a guy doing an awd project with an integra . He used the drive line out of a crv. Might be a another option if your serious about doing this.
                      yeah i read that build and the wrecked it rallying it.

but yeah try and find a 5spd first gen crv then get the adapter b/d tran plate to f/h. worth a shot?
                      back at it again

Comment

It would require just as much custom fab work to use CRV parts as it would to use Evo/DSM parts... and the final product would be much less suitable for the OP's intentions. It would power all 4 wheels, but it wouldn't be ideal for putting down much power, or for sporty driving. A CRV drivetrain would turn a CB7 into a base Impreza.

Comment

It would require just as much custom fab work to use CRV parts as it would to use Evo/DSM parts... and the final product would be much less suitable for the OP's intentions. It would power all 4 wheels, but it wouldn't be ideal for putting down much power, or for sporty driving. A CRV drivetrain would turn a CB7 into a base Impreza.
                          true but the other honda 4wd setups are too big to even fit ie the newer gen crvs, then pilots and ridgelines.
                          that why i sugested the crv drive line since the have put it in integras and civics.

like he could find a wagovan but why rip one of those apart i would just rock the wagovan.
                          back at it again

Comment

There's no point to staying Honda, though. Honda doesn't offer a performance sport AWD system (unless perhaps you raid the newest TL-S...) It would fit no better than a system from a DSM (DSM over Evo for cost and availability... and the older EVOs had the same stuff as our DSMs anyway.)

Comment

This thread makes me Almost every member on this board has thought about how great our cars would be 4wd or rwd.
                              My 91 Accord F22B DOHC MR

My 1996 Civic Ex H23A VTEC MR

Comment

The thought is always presented as if it was the first time, too... and the person posting it always asks "has anyone done it?"

Only one in maybe a dozen threads like this have I seen the creator of the thread show that they actually put effort into the idea before presenting it. As in "would it be possible to use these parts, and do this?" Normally, it's "can I just take an AWD Mitsubishi or Honda and make my CB7 AWD?" It's never Subaru, never BMW, never VW... always Mitsu and Honda. For some reason, those makes must somehow seem easier to use than others!

I researched making my 86 Accord (in my sig at the moment) RWD using S13 parts. I made a thread about it on 3geez.com, and got laughed at... as expected. However, before I even discussed it, I took measurements of an S13, and measurements of my car, and put together a vague idea of how I'd approach it.
                                If I had a garage and the necessary equipment and knowledge to weld a car together, I'd probably have done it.

Comment

Working...
                                X