So I'm shopping for a wagon...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
    It's beautiful, too, but I don't have the time to travel. I'm keeping an eye on the local channels, though, thanks.
    Would shipping be an option though?

and no problem
    Henry R
    Koni/Neuspeed
    1992 Accord LX R.I.P
    1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
    Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
    made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Is that the Super rare Honda Phone?
      ~Nick~
      FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
      MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

No, that's an aftermarket phone that's getting close to 20 years old. The seller would have done well to remove it so as not to date the car's appearance.
        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by HenRoc View Post
          Would shipping be an option though?

and no problem
          Yeah, knowing I can get into a clean CB9 for much less, I'm definitely not paying potentially $6k for one unless it was RHD. I'd even pay a bit more for that. I think of the more desirable cars $6k would buy that are much more likely to keep climbing in value - I day dream about getting an NB Miata all the time just because I'd love a tiny car to chuck around, especially after that feature on The Slip Angle (I'm on my phone, YouTube it; white car, bad ass driver, fairly recent upload... dude's got a little fleet of cool Japanese sports cars, and they all get tracked hard).

I do wish every seller would be so thorough in their photography, though.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Hypothetically, if you guys were selling a car would you mind holding out a couple months for the sake of "the right buyer," or would you not care and just want to ditch the car and get paid? Setbacks have put me in this position, because that's just how I roll apparently. This wagon has got me excited, though, so I emailed the owner (the one I sent that last guy with the green wagon ended up in his spam folder, he didn't notice it for a while, to which he replied positively and that ended up in my spam folder and wasn't seen for a while, by which time the ad disappeared), hoping they'd have those feelings of knowing their car went to a good home, and that I wouldn't even try to negotiate the price for the favor - not to hold the car for me, just to not accept lower offers in the meantime since its worth asking price to me.They named the thing, there's got to be some sentimental value there, right?

https://boulder.craigslist.org/cto/d...002658054.html

Claimed flaws:

Hail damage: sounds and looks minor enough, just "hood and roof." Even if such little paintless dent repair weren't cheaper than proper body work and respray for those panels, at least a straight hood is easy enough to find in junkyards around here for paint matching.

Worn tires: wheels and tires were already in the immediate plans.

Windshield: $250 or so is easy enough to work into the immediate budget.

Not mentioned, but you can see that the driver's inner door handle is broken and they seem to have fixed it by screwing it to the door card. A new handle would cover up the holes, though.

Either way, I'm now looking at around New Years to get the loan and have a very nicely done-up wagon by Spring, should a clean CB9 come up for sale - and they actually have been popping up steadily in Colorado!
            Last edited by CyborgGT; 10-24-2019, 02:04 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

I was kind of in a similar situation with you, but with a 5th Gen CE1 wagon. I began wanting one this time last year, but was not in a position to buy one at all. When I had my CD7 Coupe stolen and wrecked in April, I had the chance to look for one, but there was literally nothing good on the market worth getting locally, in the short time frame I had to get another car. A super clean coupe dropped in my lap for a good price, and I just went with it, because I needed a car asap.

Fast forward to this past summer. I got a new position at work, with better hours and pay. Allowed me to start setting aside money to put towards purchasing a wagon, so I began looking again. Living in SoCal, there luckily are a fair amount of wagons for sale. I did realize one thing....the nice ones are all overpriced, and the ones that do come up for a deal sell before I can even go check them out.

So on the advise of a friend, I expand my search to Northern California, Oregon, and Washington. Rust is very much a non issue, as pretty much anywhere south of Seattle does not salt their roads, and gets minimal snow. I was actually surprised that there was a good amount of wagons available in these areas, and even more so that most of them were in decent condition. Not having to deal with the crazy SoCal heat, a lot of the paint is a good bit nicer than what you see down here. I found some really good deals, but unfortunately sold before I could even contact the sellers. In particular, there was a 116k 97 fully loaded red, with gray leather EX wagon, for a cool $2k. sold within hours. would have been listed for like $4k in SoCal lol.

I had a few requirements in searching for a wagon.....had to be gray interior, and it had to have a clean interior. I did not want to hunt and search to replace misc wagon specific interior parts. Exterior color did not matter. And as long as the car had a clean title, and run and drove good, I would be happy. Didn't have to be pristine on the outside.

Ended finding this wagon here for a whopping $950. Checked all the boxes. Talked to the seller a good bit, and he was a pleasure to deal with, and had no issues showing the good and bad of the car. Just flew out this past weekend, and drove it 1200 miles home without issue.

Don't be afraid to search a little farther away for the right car. I only spent about $1400 total on the whole trip, with my plane ticket, gas, lodging, and food. And for what I got the car for, I will be repainting it and still come out under with what a nice wagon in SoCal would have cost me.
              Last edited by Corweena; 10-24-2019, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Where are you getting paint jobs that cheap?! Or are you doing it yourself? I once took my RSX to a local shop for an estimate just to get everything corrected to keep the current color (not the plan anymore), and they wanted $6k to do about 3/4 of the car. That did include new lights and trim (I had a couple broken pieces at the time), and things like that that I could probably source cheaper myself, but that is still so much more than I'm always hearing other people get full resprays and even color changes for.

That wagon looks like it was a steal, though. Nice score.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Haha, had to share this find:

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/...015074383.html

"Burns oil when vtec engages"

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Where are you getting paint jobs that cheap?! Or are you doing it yourself? I once took my RSX to a local shop for an estimate just to get everything corrected to keep the current color (not the plan anymore), and they wanted $6k to do about 3/4 of the car. That did include new lights and trim (I had a couple broken pieces at the time), and things like that that I could probably source cheaper myself, but that is still so much more than I'm always hearing other people get full resprays and even color changes for.
                    When i had Ruby painted, I did all disassembly and reassembly (removed all trim, bumpers, lights, etc.) as well as the major part of the work to replace the quarters. The final paint job cost $2200 (same color). The owner of the shop said he had quoted the whole job (including rear quarter rust repair) on a car similar to mine at $7500.
                    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                      When i had Ruby painted, I did all disassembly and reassembly (removed all trim, bumpers, lights, etc.) as well as the major part of the work to replace the quarters. The final paint job cost $2200 (same color). The owner of the shop said he had quoted the whole job (including rear quarter rust repair) on a car similar to mine at $7500.
                      ^ $2200 is pretty much what I was quoted to paint my wagon. I don't have any rust or anything like that, but some small dents, and things needing correction (particularly the hood, which needs to be striped down to bare metal). You do have to shop around, as obviously there is a wide range of shops and what they will quote. The spot I found is a family business that has been around for 40+ years, and has stellar reviews. its about 50min from home though, so that's not the most convenient. I don't want a show quality job, as the car is a daily, but basically trying to get it as close to new as possible.

I had considered painting the car right away, but have now decided to postpone that, until I can piece together the rest of the lip kit I want to run. Would rather just paint everything all at once and not have to take bumpers, skirts, lips, etc back to be redone.

But yeah, decent quality, and affordable paint shops are out there. Just gotta search around.

Comment

Haha, had to share this find:

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/...015074383.html

"Burns oil when vtec engages"

Man, what a piece. I guess he is expecting you to take all that crap in his backyard too, and those Need For Speed Underground bumpers.

"Have full suspension to make rotors come off easy" uuuhhhhh ok....
                        *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
                        ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
                        ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
                        "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
                        Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
                        The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
                        Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

I guess if I was making a full-on track car that I'd have gutted myself anyway, he's taken care of that labor; that's worth a few bucks! I've never seen the back of a wagon gutted before, either. I'm liking that built-in strut tower brace. It'd be interesting to see a fourth-gen Prelude front end grafted onto a CB9, too.
                          Last edited by CyborgGT; 11-10-2019, 05:41 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Working...
                          X