Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Do Turbo's need any special maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do Turbo's need any special maintenance

Im getting an H22 installed on a '92 accord and wanted to install a turbo kit as well. My question is do turbo's need any special care at all or is it just start the car and go. I dont want to spend all this money and ruin the car. Thanks for the help.

You probably want to search the site first. You have a loaded question really. If you're going H22 that is great. If you are going H22 + turbo there are other factors such as stopping and turning that come into play.

My answer would be:

If you have invested the time and money to make your 92 ready before you get the H22 + turbo, and then after you get the turbo you spend all the time and money to make everything work right... Then no, there will no extra care than you are used to putting into it.

If you have not invested the time and money to make your car ready for a H22 + turbo... Yes, most likely there will be special care you have to put into the car since it is still designed for stock tolerances aged 20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by FatMaKO View Post
      Im getting an H22 installed on a '92 accord and wanted to install a turbo kit as well. My question is do turbo's need any special care at all or is it just start the car and go. I dont want to spend all this money and ruin the car. Thanks for the help.
      Then you better tear down your motor, get it resleeved, and get some custom pistons. The H, along with the F, have weak ringlands, and they break when boosted.
      Last edited by dj_ender; 04-09-2012, 10:39 PM.
      Originally posted by Mishakol129
      Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Ok will research more than I have already done. On that note everything is stock and nothing has been done. I will just do the swap and spend the turbo money on getting it ready. Also do you recommend any good Turbo brands or some better than others as performance and quality. Once again thanks for the advice.

Comment

I wasn't sure you meant the turbo itself or the whole setup. If you mean the whole setup you're going to want to do your homework/research first. Putting a turbo in a H engine involves a re-make of the whole engine pretty much. (sleeves, rods, pistons, gaskets, greddy belts, pumps, etc). Do a search on this site and you'll find your answers.

Comment

keep an eye on your air/fuel ratio, allow turbo to cool before turning car off, allow motor to come to temp before boost.

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ender View Post
              Then you better tear down your motor, get a block guard, and get some custom pistons. The H, along with the F, have weak ringlands, and they break when boosted.
              Block guards warp cylinders. Resleeve.

Also, if you're boosting, there's no need to do an H22A swap. Put the money you would be spending on the swap and build the F22A to handle boost. You'll get a much better result. If you boost a stock-block H22A, it'll blow fairly quickly. Honda's cast aluminum pistons aren't made for turbo, and when they're 10-20 years old, they won't last long.

Anyway, to answer the actual question in the thread title, yes... turbo cars can require a bit more attention. It's not really that you need to DO more, just that you need to be AWARE of more. If something goes wrong with a turbo engine, it could mean catastrophic failure. In a non-turbo engine (that isn't being revved to the moon), such a thing could manifest much more slowly, allowing you to fix it before any serious damage is done.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                Block guards warp cylinders. Resleeve.

Also, if you're boosting, there's no need to do an H22A swap. Put the money you would be spending on the swap and build the F22A to handle boost. You'll get a much better result. If you boost a stock-block H22A, it'll blow fairly quickly. Honda's cast aluminum pistons aren't made for turbo, and when they're 10-20 years old, they won't last long.

Anyway, to answer the actual question in the thread title, yes... turbo cars can require a bit more attention. It's not really that you need to DO more, just that you need to be AWARE of more. If something goes wrong with a turbo engine, it could mean catastrophic failure. In a non-turbo engine (that isn't being revved to the moon), such a thing could manifest much more slowly, allowing you to fix it before any serious damage is done.
                DOH! edited to show that.
                Originally posted by Mishakol129
                Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Working...
                X